PDA

View Full Version : Seriously hope Valve doesn't listen to A-holes

steelhorseclub
04-20-2011, 11:55 PM
ARG = $80 worth of valve games
Portal 2 = minimum 10 hours of hilarious epicness
Modern Warfare 2 = crap in a handbag compared to it. Besides, Activision steals souls for a living and I didn't see you babies whining.

The gaming world would be a better place if every game that came out was half as good as Portal 2. I just hope that Valve doesn't listen to all this crap. Did you guys not learn anything from the Left for Dead 2 petitions?

The sad thing is, Valve actually listens to you people and they will probably go out of the way to make you feel better. As for me, if I had lemons I would burn down your houses.

hurleyboy
04-20-2011, 11:59 PM
ARG was only 80 dollars to those who got 36 potatos

and even then it was only 80 dollars provided you had never owned a Valve game before.

Which is the only issue i see.

The Prize is a nice one, but it would have been nice for those of us who have supported valve for years and as a result gained virtually nothing from the prize to have been given the option for an alternative prize, even if it was only a custom skin

Jaykzo
04-21-2011, 12:01 AM
I totally agree. I can't be happier with the quality of this game.

In a time where most companies are churning out products in record time just to put more revenue on their balance sheets, Valve went out of their way and spent the extra time and effort neccesary to make an oustanding game.

I don't care that it was short- it was amazing. Well worth the money.

CasualT2
04-21-2011, 12:04 AM
MW2's campaign ACTUALLY did take me 4 hours on the first playthrough, and I saw the plot twist coming a longgg way back. Portal 2 was 6 hours and it was an incredible experience, and the plot twists were hinted at but when they actually happened it was a total surprise to you (assuming you weren't spoiled, and even if you were, the story was actually and thankfully more complex than those spoilers revealed)

Compared to every non-valve game portal 2 is an incredible experience. Even if you compare it to valve's standards it rates really high (although it might not clear the bar for some).

Die_Angel
04-21-2011, 12:05 AM
I have great hopes for an upcoming free update with more co op maps and maybe challenge maps, the packaging for portal2 is very simmilar to tf2 and we know what it led us to:

-4 years of update
-new gamemodes
-new maps (even if a lot where community maps)
-new equipments

The price to pay was the Mann co shop obviously but i believe it's only fair considering it's the only non indy game i know that ever received such a long developper support (aside from mmos)

I think, i hope (i really do) valve intent to follow the same system and give us long term support for portal 2.

Lottagames
04-21-2011, 12:05 AM
I might have issues with Valve but don't get me started on the trash Activision tries to sell us. They haven't had a good game since the early GH's. I only bought the last few when they were discounted and ignored the rest of their unoriginal, cookie-cutter games. Talk about a company that needs to go away quickly...

slimd1995
04-21-2011, 12:06 AM
ARG was only 80 dollars to those who got 36 potatos

and even then it was only 80 dollars provided you had never owned a Valve game before.

Which is the only issue i see.

The Prize is a nice one, but it would have been nice for those of us who have supported valve for years and as a result gained virtually nothing from the prize to have been given the option for an alternative prize, even if it was only a custom skin

We got extra copies, have you noticed yet?

saykoshey
04-21-2011, 12:07 AM
What just because people have to voice their opinions, dislikes and aggravation they have to be called names? Nice! I get it, we should all stop complaining and bow to our corporate masters will, I'll get right on that.

Sarge945
04-21-2011, 12:09 AM
it took them 98 days to calculate the physics for the initial wheatley scene - it takes most developers that long to make their entire game

valve cares about the community and players, where almost all other developers only care about money

That said, people should criticise the faults that they see in games, but lately it has gotten to the point of nitpicking literally everything (soon people are going to say that repulsion gel is too blue)

steelhorseclub
04-21-2011, 12:17 AM
What just because people have to voice their opinions, dislikes and aggravation they have to be called names? Nice! I get it, we should all stop complaining and bow to our corporate masters will, I'll get right on that.

Nothing wrong with complaining but let it be justified. People are using some weird argument that Valve owes them something. This type of thing can back fire. Especially for a company that is unusually good to its costumers.

saykoshey
04-21-2011, 12:35 AM
Nothing wrong with complaining but let it be justified. People are using some weird argument that Valve owes them something. This type of thing can back fire. Especially for a company that is unusually good to its costumers.

Why is it no justified then?

36 potato complainers you might have a valid argument there, it's a bit tacky. Some people did get a gift which is pretty useless. Those people are people who already own the Valve complete pack, they are the most supportive people in the Valve community. I would expect a little something extra for these people as well. Obviously Valve's marketing department didn't think the whole thing through and it hit the most supportive fans the hardest, I can understand the frustration this causes. You can say free = free and Valve never promised to they just gave out their good hearts, but if some random Jo of the street would get rewarded and I as a loyal fan was leftout I would be pretty frustrated too. Do you understand why these people are frustrated?

The DLC thing. The game is already overpriced as it is and it includes a shop with trivial items where you can spend another 80 of what ever you currency is. This is just an obvious cash cow Valve is trying to milk. I don't think anybody can claim Valve was thinking of the community when they implemented this. What would have been better, seeing the items in the shop, is releasing some of the items currently in the shop for free and then add better ones later-on. Some say: "You don't need it to finish the game", which is exactly the point. It doesn't add any value to the game, it's just there for Valve to make a few quick bucks. So people are going: "Okey, I already spend money on the ARG, then I spent money on the game which was overpriced and now I have to spend more money on the shop?" Clearly Valve didn't think about the sentiment and frustration this would cause with people. I don't do tacky DLC content and it doesn't bother me that the shop is there or that that there are customizable items. But I can understand why people feel as if they're being used as a cash cow.

Singleplayer being shortlived. 5 hours for me... Pretty short if you ask me.

Game being overpriced. Totally agree on this one seeing as singleplayer is already too short. Just compare P1 price with P2 price. Oh there is co-op, yes but I didn't buy this game for co-op. P1 had lots of smaller puzzles included which you could solve. If you had some time to kill you could pop in solve a few and be on your way. Co-op means a night of gaming for me it's not something you would do just before dinner (for example). The there's people who say: "Well there's support and there's an editor coming so community maps". Well okay, first off community maps is not something Valve does, it's a community effort so that should not influence the price. Valve support is something which might happen, it's not something which was included or promised to me in the original retail package and thus does not give me any added value on top of the retail price.

Any other complaints I missed out on?