PDA

View Full Version : I'm losing internet connection but only at night..

clicheispasse
04-21-2011, 01:38 AM
I've noticed I lose my internet connection almost every night but only from around 12-7 AM - never during the day. At first I'd just restart my computer, thinking it was the culprit, but I could still connect to the internet by other means even when I could've through my computer - PS3, laptop, other computers, etc so it can't be my router/modem.

So last night I did the 'troubleshooting' option in Win7 and it always fixes it (had to do it last night and tonight), but in the troubleshooting section it says

"The default gateway is not available" - Fixed
Reset the "Local Area Connection" adapter - Completed

So my question is, what's the problem? Is it my motherboard? How can I fix this so it will stop happening?

Sleepy Ben
04-21-2011, 01:55 AM
I've noticed I lose my internet connection almost every night but only from around 12-7 AM - never during the day. At first I'd just restart my ROUTER, thinking it was the culprit, but I could still connect to the internet by other means even when I could've through my computer - PS3, laptop, other computers, etc so it can't be my router/modem.

So last night I did the 'troubleshooting' option in Win7 and it always fixes it (had to do it last night and tonight), but in the troubleshooting section it says

"The default gateway is not available" - Fixed
Reset the "Local Area Connection" adapter - Completed

So my question is, what's the problem? Is it my motherboard? How can I fix this so it will stop happening?

Is that what you meant?

Some router's are unstable with a lot of connections so if you download torrenst at night then try reducing the number of maximum connections within the torrent software to 400 or less.

clicheispasse
04-21-2011, 02:47 AM
Um, definitely not. I never touch my router. Always just my computer.

And I haven't touched a torrent in almost 6 months or so, so that's definitely not it.

IR_Wildman
04-21-2011, 04:16 AM

And I haven't touched a torrent in almost 6 months or so, so that's definitely not it.

Have you tried resetting your router. Just shut it off/unplug it for about a minute then turn it back on. Routers do need to be reset once in a while.

clicheispasse
04-21-2011, 04:26 AM
I would but I have no reason to - when I don't have internet access on my computer, I still have access on my laptop, my other computer, and my PS3.

BuckALE
04-21-2011, 05:10 AM

routers are fickle, temperamental beasts which often "go stupid" (my term for when any device inexplicably just stops working, but then carries on fine after a power reset), and require a reset often.

But are you saying that other computers connected to this router continue to work normally while only this PC is affected?

I'd check and update the NIC drivers. Update everything else while you're at it.

My guess is that's the time of night when IP leases expire, and the drivers are screwing up so it's not automatically renewing properly. the same effect could probably be gained by doing an ipconfig /release and /renew

Sleepy Ben
04-21-2011, 05:29 AM
It certainly looks like the onboard NIC is at fault. Try uninstalling it and put in different drivers.

I had a performance problem with my Realtek NIC recently - it was after a Windows Update put in a new driver. It caused higher pings in games and random disconnects. I uninstalled it and put in older drivers off the CD that came with the motherboard and now it works fine. Newer drivers aren't always better.

BuckALE
04-21-2011, 05:32 AM
It certainly looks like the onboard NIC is at fault. Try uninstalling it and put in different drivers.

I had a performance problem with my Realtek NIC recently - it was after a Windows Update put in a new driver. It caused higher pings in games and random disconnects. I uninstalled it and put in older drivers off the CD that came with the motherboard and now it works fine. Newer drivers aren't always better.

the drivers from windows update aren't necessarily new, or even newish. Windows update shouldn't update drivers unless you select them and tell it to either.

Always best to get the latest drivers directly from the manufacturer, http://www.realtek.com.tw

clicheispasse
04-21-2011, 05:43 AM
computers connected to this router continue to work normally while only this PC is affected

This is correct.
How can I fix this by installing this NIC drivers thing?

tr0n187
04-21-2011, 05:51 AM
just out of curiosity, are you using a cable modem? It's possible it could be on the ISP side of things. Maybe log into your modem and see if the logs reveal any signal drops.

FYI to login to a cable modem, pop open a web browser and go to 192.168.100.1 (usually).

BuckALE
04-21-2011, 05:52 AM
This is correct.
How can I fix this by installing this NIC drivers thing?

This is going to be alot of information, but i'm hoping it might provide you with some context for how and why a driver upgrade here can help.

Years years ago when I worked for a cable ISP, many customers had a problem very similar to what you're experiencing. It was called a "Discover/Offer bounce"
/r
basically, there's 4 steps to obtaining an IP:

Discover - look for a DHCP server
Offer - Server offers an IP lease
Request - Client requests IP
Acknowlegement - Server acknowledges lease, marks IP as used and sets lease time

Old/outdated NIC drivers would send out discovers, get an offer, but never respond, so they would send out another discover, to which the server would make another offer. so when we would look at the server logs, we'd see discover/offer,discover/offer several times in a row. That told us the client's drivers were borked and not proceeding to the next step, the request.

Once an IP is obtained, when the lease time expires, the client (your computer) sends out a request (since it already knows where the DHCP server is, and already has an IP, it skips discovery). It's either not sending out the request correctly, or it's not responding to the servers acknowledgement, so it basically just drops the connection at that point.

in your case, the DHCP server is your router, and the client is your PC.

Doing a repair (ipconfig /release and /renew) starts the process from the beginning, which gets you your IP back.

Most likely, the drivers are the cause of the issue here. It's also possible that your router might need a firmware upgrade too, but considering that other clients work fine, that tells us that this client PC is most likely at root cause here.

I don't know what your system model is, or what type of NIC you have, you'll need to contact the manufacturer for more info to get the latest driver.

Or, tell us, or show us a screenshot of the "Network Adapters" section of device manager, and we'll help you find the correct driver update.

start->run->devmgmt.msc

expand the "Network Adapters" section.

clicheispasse
04-21-2011, 06:05 AM
just out of curiosity, are you using a cable modem? It's possible it could be on the ISP side of things. Maybe log into your modem and see if the logs reveal any signal drops.

FYI to login to a cable modem, pop open a web browser and go to 192.168.100.1 (usually).

That's what I thought too, at first, but it doesn't explain how I can still access the internet through other devices.

start->run->devmgmt.msc

expand the "Network Adapters" section.

Thank you for all of that information - I actually understand it :p

Here's the screenshot: http://i54.tinypic.com/2nk00ti.png

lazy6pyro
04-21-2011, 08:33 AM
I would go with the driver explanation for now; however, what you can do is when it happens again, is check to see if you have a link light. A link-light + no connection means a setting or driver issue; no link-light at all is the indication that the cable isn't live at all, which I would look at the router.

clicheispasse
04-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Where do I find this link-light thing? :x

lazy6pyro
04-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Where do I find this link-light thing? :x

It's right on the ethernet port (where you plug your cable in). You will see a yellow and green LEDs. Even if you aren't connected to the internet, if you're connected physically the lights will be on. Normally if you're actively transferring, the yellow will stay on and the green will be blinking.

If you're getting no lights during that time-frame, that is an indication of a "physical" break in the connection from your router to you. These provide really, a simply test; if on but no Internet > problem with settings/drivers on computer. If not on > problem with something beyond the computer.

clicheispasse
04-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Thank you very much for your help. Next time it happens, I'll test it out.

However, how do I fix the problem if it's either or?