PDA

View Full Version : Section 8 Prejudice: Dedicated Servers

ViolentCrimes
04-21-2011, 02:08 AM
Anyone know if there is going to allow dedicated servers or is this going to be one of the stupid p2p.

gossamer
04-21-2011, 03:36 AM
There will be dedicated servers

ViolentCrimes
04-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Community or Developers?

GSGregory
04-21-2011, 06:35 PM
I believe from what ive read your able to get files for a dedicated on the xbox by running it on the pc so i dont see why you cant do likewise on the pc.

gossamer
04-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Community dedicated servers are confirmed.

www.thegamewardens.net will have a server up launch day

UltimateGrr
04-22-2011, 07:58 AM
http://forums.timegate.com/showthread.php?t=19978

Threads a bit dated, but it also has some GSPs that will have dedicated servers ready to rent day 1

ViolentCrimes
04-30-2011, 08:58 PM
FYI you can no longer host your own server for this game. I am requesting a refund from steam now.

tkmach1ne
04-30-2011, 09:30 PM
FYI you can no longer host your own server for this game. I am requesting a refund from steam now.

Who CCAAARRRRREESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

NanoImp
04-30-2011, 09:41 PM

Holy...

I was able to host 64 player/bot listen servers for Prejudice's beta, but it is true I had no access to dedicated server files. Only the 2 major clans with dev support did.

The first S8 allowed me to run a dedicated server if I bought another copy, and I did.

If Timegate just pulled a Crytek and made server GSPs the only way to get a personal dedicated server... and/or listen servers can no longer be created, an act that is highly unlikely but still worth mentioning...

Another mark for a bad track record with Timegate. Section 8 Gamespy open beta, GFWL release. A broken 1.1 patch release for S8 steam and digital users...

Xbox Prejudice customers suffer from console locking glitches and several fast patches on Xbox live have failed to stop the console locks...

I really am not surprised or amused anymore.

UltimateGrr
05-01-2011, 09:49 AM
All the non dev run dedicated servers during the beta were run using the game client and a pretty heft launch parameter, same as before. The client IS the deicated server package.

NanoImp
05-01-2011, 12:17 PM
I wonder what this hefty launch parameter is if clients are still the dedicated server package. Timegate announcing an exclusive partnership with Gameservers really doesn't help matters.

Screenshots/info would be nice, but since the beta NDA still explicitly states no beta screenshots or movies to be shown...

So much for a very open "open beta" like Starcraft 2 was, for comparison's sake.

Oh well, another release and see thing. This time, I will definitely not be buying an extra copy to run a dedicated server, should things work out to be "that easy."

Mr. Grudging Resignation can handle other matters if a certain "space master" is not interested anymore, but that's a private matter between that organization.

UltimateGrr
05-01-2011, 01:48 PM
I wonder what this hefty launch parameter is if clients are still the dedicated server package. Timegate announcing an exclusive partnership with Gameservers really doesn't help matters.

GameServers has exclusive hosting rights for the XBox 360, and maybe the PS3 servers. Other GSPs have confirmed they'll be running dedicated servers day one for PC.

NanoImp
05-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Then lets hope that the other GSPs don't have any restrictions or unexpected issues.

I have no idea what Timegate is trying to pull by promoting Gameservers in their press releases. The first thought that came to mind; easier to work with Gameservers than another GSP if they have Timegate's official approval. Gameserver's order page is also a nice little marketing trick that impressed me with how simple it all seems.

But... I wasted enough time and money (before a full refund) in S8 with several GSPs to not want to deal with another one again; one that does not have TG's full approval, marketing gimmick or not.

Wolfservers and Xfactor, that'll be interesting too should anything go wrong.