PDA

View Full Version : Third Person Shoulder command acting wonky

Razorgirl
04-22-2011, 12:47 PM
So, I was fiddling around with the camera settings for thirdpersonshoulder, cause I like to see Chell when playing, and I've somehow permanently screwed up the camera settings for the thirdpersonshoulder command. It used to go into a RE4-esque over the shoulder cam when the command was typed which made aiming almost as simple as in first person. Now it pulls back to far behind Chell, making it very hard to aim.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game and it still goes into this pulled back perspective no matter what. Is this the result of a stealth patch? Or is it just something I did? In the cfg file, the cam settings are as follows:

c_maxdistance "100"
c_maxpitch "90"
c_maxyaw "135"
c_mindistance "100"
c_minpitch "0"
c_minyaw "-135"
c_orthoheight "100"
c_orthowidth "100"
c_thirdpersonshoulder "1"
c_thirdpersonshoulderaimdist "720"
c_thirdpersonshoulderdist "40"
c_thirdpersonshoulderheight "10"
c_thirdpersonshoulderoffset "0"
cam_collision "1"
cam_idealdelta "4"
cam_idealdist "100.000000"
cam_idealdistright "0"
cam_idealdistup "0"
cam_ideallag "0"
cam_idealpitch "0"
cam_idealyaw "0.000000"
cam_snapto "0"

Does anyone have any idea of how to fix my third person camera so that it goes back to the default over the shoulder perspective?

Razorgirl
04-22-2011, 01:46 PM
<bump> Can anyone help me out here?

G_F=DM=
04-22-2011, 01:48 PM
You just want to see her butt

Jugatsu
04-22-2011, 01:50 PM
This is what I use, seems to be working nice so far, probably won't be RE-like though, but I guess you can adjust as you wish after.

c_thirdpersonshoulderoffset 0
c_thirdpersonshoulderaimdist 720
c_thirdpersonshoulderheight 40
c_thirdpersonshoulderdist 40
cam_ideallag 0
cam_idealdelta 4
cam_collision 1
cam_idealpitch 0
cam_idealyaw 0
cam_idealdist 40
cam_snapto 0

Razorgirl
04-22-2011, 02:29 PM
This is what I use, seems to be working nice so far, probably won't be RE-like though, but I guess you can adjust as you wish after.

Thanks for the suggestion, but how can I apply these settings in the game? Every time I change the cfg file it rewrites itself with the default settings when the game is started. Do I need an autoexec file? If so how do I get it to execute properly? I wasn't able to bind keys with an autoexec when I tried before.

Jugatsu
04-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Yeah creating an autoexec file should work, as well as binds inside.
If the autoexec.cfg is correctly placed in your cfg folder, it should get executed automatically on start.

Razorgirl
04-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I tried "exec autoexec" using your settings and the camera is still way too far behind Chell. Can anyone post the cam settings from their default vanilla config file? I think some alternate camera settings have been written into my game and I can't seem to get rid of them.

Edit: apparently every time you "exec autoexec" an autoexec file, it OVERWRITES your default config settings, which can only be adjusted by modifying the autoexec and running it again. This sucks, as I have no idea what the original default camera settings for thirdpersonshoulder are, and I can't seem to get it right. If anyone can post the contents of their untouched config.cfg file it would be greatly appreciated.

Misster Ted
05-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Yeah, I tried "exec autoexec" using your settings and the camera is still way too far behind Chell. Can anyone post the cam settings from their default vanilla config file? I think some alternate camera settings have been written into my game and I can't seem to get rid of them.

Edit: apparently every time you "exec autoexec" an autoexec file, it OVERWRITES your default config settings, which can only be adjusted by modifying the autoexec and running it again. This sucks, as I have no idea what the original default camera settings for thirdpersonshoulder are, and I can't seem to get it right. If anyone can post the contents of their untouched config.cfg file it would be greatly appreciated.

This is what I did to fix it. And yes it worked.

1. Disable Steam Cloud so it can't recover other CFG files
2. Delete all CFG files in Portal 2/portal2/cfg/
3. Start up Portal 2 to make new ones
4. Open up config.cfg with notepad or notepad++
5. Delete everything that is related to thirdperson
Usually you can see it by c_thirdpersonshoulder command
6. Right click -> Properties -> Check "Read Only"
7. Fire up the game and play with the right thirdpersonshoulder cam