PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Pneumatic Diversity Vents?

portalguy15837
04-22-2011, 12:12 PM
OK, I was just wondering why they got rid of the Diversity Vents.

The only reason I could think of was based on some developer commentary. One person from Valve was talking about how they had to make sure they knew exactly where the player was going to be, so that whenever they moved panels, players couldn't get trapped behind them or something. The Diversity Vents would have been able to suck the old panels away from the wall, possibly allowing for the player to get out. I don't know, but that's my best guess. It seemed like it would be a good feature.

Vitreosity
04-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Is your searchbar broken?

nuer
04-22-2011, 12:14 PM
the thing is you cant always see what has been showed or promised

MutantMonkey
04-22-2011, 12:15 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Aforums.steampowered.com+What+happened+to +Pneumatic+Diversity+Vents%3F

Bud042
04-22-2011, 12:16 PM
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1854220

We need to sticky a thread about the vents already :rolleyes:

Altrivius
04-22-2011, 12:17 PM
This has already been discussed numerous times, and each time it's pretty much agreed on that the vents weren't really that unique compared to the excursion funnels and couldn't really provide enough variety in how they would be utilized.

Zombie-Fool
04-22-2011, 12:21 PM
OK, I was just wondering why they got rid of the Diversity Vents.

The only reason I could think of was based on some developer commentary. One person from Valve was talking about how they had to make sure they knew exactly where the player was going to be, so that whenever they moved panels, players couldn't get trapped behind them or something. The Diversity Vents would have been able to suck the old panels away from the wall, possibly allowing for the player to get out. I don't know, but that's my best guess. It seemed like it would be a good feature.

I think the mine tubes are their replacements. They do the same thing, destroy the environment to open up new paths to the player.

I think they cut them, just like the crusher panels in puzzles, because they didn't interact with other elements in fun ways. They just suck everything out, or crush you, which will screw you if you do it accidentally. They already let you ride a pressurized tube as a game set-piece and have the tubes carrying boxes throughout the game. The whole thing would lose effectiveness if overused.

portalguy15837
04-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Is your searchbar broken?

Actually yes, it is. Whenever I search, it does nothing, then I press again and it says "please wait 60 seconds." Sorry about posting something already discussed, but I didn't see a recent post on this, just made a new one.