PDA

View Full Version : Portal 2 makes no sense

Den1s
04-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Yeah it doesnt . I mean cmon , making a portal device , and making walls that dont work on it ? . Challenging you say ? But what challanges , i mean that device can be usefull in life , it can save alot of lifes . But nooo , they just need to test it on walls that dont work for it. Its like making a plane without wings , and making it fly . Just think about it , and btw Come at me lovers :cool:

Allster
Back Troll, back! Fear thee as I bring fire!

Gabeed
Yeah it doesnt . I mean cmon , making a portal device , and making walls that dont work on it ? . Challenging you say ? But what challanges , i mean that device can be usefull in life , it can save alot of lifes . But nooo , they just need to test it on walls that dont work for it. Its like making a plane without wings , and making it fly . Just think about it , and btw Come at me lovers :cool:

You're a veritable beacon of logic and reasoning.

Nutta
04-22-2011, 03:47 PM
The second and third post have balanced the fail of the first post with their win.

Duraigo
04-22-2011, 03:48 PM
A crazy topic needs a crazy response, so..........JELLYBEANS

Kozmo
I predict that this thread will be repeatedly bumped to the top of the forum instead of people being smart and ignoring the troll.

SPUF, please prove me wrong.

Den1s
Back Troll, back! Fear thee as I bring fire!

Im not trolling . Just think about it

Scary Food
The Spasmatronic Uberscience structures in the Portal gun's Mixolydian configuration don't respond well to the Ionic Conflagration of certain materials-like black metal.

Duh.

ellisD
How much of your day to day life makes sence? Or am i just crazy? :eek:

additionaluser
04-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Not only does Portal 2 make perfect sense in its little universe, but it also taught me such facts as the name of Aristotle's archnemesis. :p

Den1s
04-22-2011, 03:50 PM
The Spasmatronic Uberscience structures in the Portal gun's Mixolydian configuration don't respond well to the Ionic Conflagration of certain materials-like black metal.

Duh.

Why making the walls black metal. Its like denying ur own creation . And why cant i make a portal hell out of the facility

Cougarific
04-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Not only does Portal 2 make perfect sense in its little universe, but it also taught me such facts as the name of Aristotle's archnemesis. :p

Bashy Spike Plate?

Scary Food
04-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Why making the walls black metal. Its like denying ur own creation . And why cant i make a portal hell out of the facility
Because SCIENCE doesn't WORK that way, BOY!

The Enemy |
04-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Apparently you haven't heard GlaDOS or Wheatley say they need their daily dose of testing. And that easy tests aren't good for that. That's why there are a lot of black-metal or whatever walls.

kothfan19
04-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Despite the thread being complete spam and trollbait, many of the posts have made me lol, so it was kind of worth it.

And like every other troll/spam thread in these forums, I have bumped it to the top with additional useless commentary. But it was funny. And worth it.

Den1s
04-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Apparently you haven't heard GlaDOS or Wheatley say they need their daily dose of testing. And that easy tests aren't good for that. That's why there are a lot of black-metal or whatever walls.

Why making machines that get ♥♥♥♥♥♥ from testing :confused:

additionaluser
04-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Bashy Spike Plate?
Mashy Spike Plate. Plato's nickname no doubt.

Den1s
04-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Im not trying to troll or something but look at the facts ;)

slimd1995
04-22-2011, 03:56 PM
It wasn't made to be practical. It's made for science.

blackaerin
04-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Why making machines that get ♥♥♥♥♥♥ from testing :confused:

Probably to reinforce that Testing=Good (makes you feel good)
and Not Testing=Tragic Consequences to Uncooperative Test Subject and Replace with New One

Den1s
It wasn't made to be practical. It's made for science.

And why is the science made ? To get it to practical

slimd1995
And why is the science made ? To get it to practical

No. It's only purpose is for testing and science.

Cougarific
04-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Mashy Spike Plate. Plato's nickname no doubt.

Mashy was Bashy's understudy, thrown-in at the last minute when Bashy broke a spike during rehearsals.

But Bashy put more heart into the role, therefore I will CONTINUE to refer to the ORIGINAL player's name, thereby giving him the due he so righteously deserves.

You wouldn't understand.

You're not AN ARTIST.

Den1s
04-22-2011, 04:00 PM
No. It's only purpose is for testing and science.

That just makes it pointless

Portal 2 will be like alien swarm and l4d2 in about a month :)

slimd1995
04-22-2011, 04:03 PM
That just makes it pointless

That's the point.

Den1s
04-22-2011, 04:05 PM
That's the point.

See , that just proves my point that Portal 2 is pointless :p

maddios
04-22-2011, 04:07 PM

Not Portal 2, Aperture Science.

ichewyou
04-22-2011, 04:08 PM
In the immortal words of Cave Johnson:

Science isnít about why, itís about why not!

Den1s
04-22-2011, 04:10 PM
In the immortal words of Cave Johnson:

Science isn’t about why, it’s about why not!

So why cant i carry 2 portal guns . Or even 3 ?? And why cant i teleport out of the facility . Its broken isnt it ? So the walls are not that good and there are holes

and @maddios Portal 2 is based on Aperture Science

slimd1995
04-22-2011, 04:11 PM

You don't understand what I'm saying. Aperture Science doesn't do things the practical way. When they build a turret, it never gets shipped. They're all either used for testing or are dissembled. Their tubes that move all the cubes around is the most impractical and expensive way to do it.

The portal gun isn't made to be practical. It's made for the purpose of science. The purpose of science is to better understand the world around us.

So why cant i carry 2 portal guns . Or even 3 ?? And why cant i teleport out of the facility . Its broken isnt it ? So the walls are not that good and there are holes

Because it's a ♥♥♥♥ing video game.

6!r1
04-22-2011, 04:12 PM

Duh.

And moon dust is really rare to find :P

Leaves ignoring that you can, in fact, portal to the moon.

Joker One
04-22-2011, 04:13 PM
The only unrealistic thing here is that people are expecting video games about portals and robots to be realistic. :p

Den1s
04-22-2011, 04:15 PM
The only unrealistic thing here is that people are expecting video games about portals and robots to be realistic. :p

Its a videogame world isnt it ?

And i didnt say realistic i just said no sense in the game

slimd1995
04-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Its a videogame world isnt it ?

And i didnt say realistic i just said no sense in the game

Okay, ignore my post.

I'm done being trolled in this thread.

Cookie12
04-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Just like any other game!

Den1s
04-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Okay, ignore my post.

I'm done being trolled in this thread.

Funny thing is i am not trolling . I was just playing the game , yeah its very easy . But then i realised whats the point of placing portals in some facility which i suppose is impossible to escape . The easy thing to do in it is commint suicide
That just proves that im rite

additionaluser
04-22-2011, 04:25 PM
The easy thing to do in it is commint suicide

Except even that doesn't work at Aperture Labs. You only get to be dead for a few seconds and then respawn. :p

Den1s
04-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Except even that doesn't work at Aperture Labs. You only get to be dead for a few seconds and then respawn. :p

So they made a lab , made a robot that takes orgazm from testing , and then made life respawning devices for the test subjects . Dont you think thats a bit greedy from their side . They could make millions out there from those walls

Manowar14
04-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Troll Troll ! Kill It ! Its evil....

Now back to thinking...

Den1s
04-22-2011, 04:34 PM

Now back to thinking...

Fyi trolling isnt my style . Im just trying to find a point for the game , and explaining why it is pointless

Affenmonarch

Now back to thinking...

But if Science is pointless, why do we think?

additionaluser
Kill It ! Its evil....
Now back to thinking...

Other bands think... MANOWAR KILL! :cool::p

Manowar14
04-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Other bands think... MANOWAR KILL! :cool::p

:D:D:D Exactly...When other bands Think ? Manowar kill..

Affenmonarch
04-22-2011, 04:40 PM
:D:D:D Exactly...When other bands Think ? Manowar kill..

What is this weird off-Topic about?

additionaluser
04-22-2011, 04:43 PM
What is this weird off-Topic about?
In a thread with an OP like this, how can anything be off topic? :p I take it you're not a Manowar fan though...

Den1s
04-22-2011, 04:43 PM
So nobody has any arguments why this game has a point but just denying my ones ?

additionaluser
04-22-2011, 04:45 PM
So nobody has any arguments why this game has a point but just denying my ones ?

The problem, my good sir, is that I don't think there ever has been a single video game in the history of gaming that was in any way vaguely 'realistic', or plot-hole free. Same for any movie or fiction novel.

Most news channels (FOX news, etc) aren't totally realistic, and even documentaries on Discovery aren't 100% spot on all the time.

Cocacola123
04-22-2011, 04:46 PM
It was used to see if it could cure Cave. Then it got out of hand.

Affenmonarch
04-22-2011, 04:46 PM
In a thread with an OP like this, how can anything be off topic? :p I take it you're not a Manowar fan though...

No, i like Soft Music.

The problem, my good sir, is that I don't think there ever has been a single video game in the history of gaming that was in any way vaguely 'realistic', or plot-hole free. Same for any movie or fiction novel.

Most news channels (FOX news, etc) aren't totally realistic, and even documentaries on Discovery aren't 100% spot on all the time.

Duke Nukem is realistic.
CoD is realistic.
Viva Pinata is realistic.
Postal is realistic.
and the list goes on.

maddios
04-22-2011, 04:48 PM

We've given you reasons, but you deny ours.

Den1s

Whats wrong with me ? Im just a guy who doesnt understand what this game means besides doing silly portals and puzzles. You sir are a fool

Fujin81

Get out of here troll.

Affenmonarch
04-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Get out of here troll.

How can he be a Troll if he is pointing out something true?The only Troll here is you,you say OP is a troll, because you don't get the Point of OP's Theory.

additionaluser
04-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Whats wrong with me ? Im just a guy who doesnt understand what this game means besides doing silly portals and puzzles. You sir are a fool
What? I didn't criticise you... I think either your reply was meant for someone else or the board is acting up as usual.

Den1s
04-22-2011, 04:55 PM
How can he be a Troll if he is pointing out something true?The only Troll here is you,you say OP is a troll, because you don't get the Point of OP's Theory.

Exactly ;) Atleast someone gets my point

@additionaluser you said "with an op like this"

Kr1sP
04-22-2011, 04:57 PM
It's people like you who said the tv wouldn't catch on cause no one wants to stare at a box all day. Or that video games are a fad.

Affenmonarch
04-22-2011, 04:59 PM
It's people like you who said the tv wouldn't catch on cause no one wants to stare at a box all day. Or that video games are a fad.

TV's and (some) Video Games have a point.Portal 2 has not.
You can learn stuff with a TV, you can entertain yourself with a TV.
The same goes for some Video Games.

scanti
04-22-2011, 05:04 PM
The way I see it Aperture Science is basically run by a caricature 70's sitcom boss. Cave Johnson may be a great shower curtain salesman but he's a complete moron when it comes to science. So he went around shouting at his staff and making poor decisions.

GLaDOS was design to get a euphoric boost from getting results. This originally was to scientific experiments but after she killed all the scientists she had to create a substitute. Therefore she created the test chambers and needed a test subject.

The portal gun can only create portals onto a surface that's been treated with portal paint, which is made out of crushed moon rocks. That's why you can create a portal on the moon. However they also found out that crushed moon rock is extremely toxic. Not the best product to bring on the market. (It also pretty much bankrupted the company buying the stuff).

schism84
04-22-2011, 05:05 PM
OP is right. Portal 2 (and Portal actually) don't really make any sense. The important thing is ... so what?

leahcim
04-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Yeah it doesnt . I mean cmon , making a portal device , and making walls that dont work on it ?

Right, so you think electricity doesn't make sense because it travels through metals but not rubber?

SciTechFreak
04-22-2011, 05:07 PM
I think I know what this is about. Not enough blood and people dieing. How can you feel like you accomplish something when you are not destroying anything? Personally I played the game for its story and for me that was the point.
Finding out that Cave's secretary Caroline was a big piece of glados, learning that Chell is the daughter from an aperture employee and that she has been stuck in that facility since 200X. Not to mention the action packed ride that was the main story with wheatly taking over the facility and you teaming up with glados to take it back. Travelling through time and space in the bowls of the aperture facility learning truth from a turret that is different is simply awe inspiring. ><

Blue Thunder
04-22-2011, 05:12 PM
*Pointless thread spotted.*
Are you guys serious? Are you actually arguing about someone's opinion?

He doesn't like the game, that's all, so what? It's just his opinion...

Rapture98
04-22-2011, 05:14 PM
You don't understand what I'm saying. Aperture Science doesn't do things the practical way. When they build a turret, it never gets shipped. They're all either used for testing or are dissembled. Their tubes that move all the cubes around is the most impractical and expensive way to do it.

haha, someone has been listening to the developer commentary.;)

The portal gun isn't made to be practical. It's made for the purpose of science. The purpose of science is to better understand the world around us.

then where the ♥♥♥♥ does aperture get all its money from? that whole facility must have cost more than billions????

AeromaX7
04-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Its a game, get over it.
And its ment to be a puzzle game, it wouldnt really be a puzzler if you could just instantly portal you to the end, get what im saying?

SciTechFreak
04-22-2011, 05:44 PM
haha, someone has been listening to the developer commentary.;)

then where the ♥♥♥♥ does aperture get all its money from? that whole facility must have cost more than billions????

from shower curtains... duh! ^^
Cave has won many awards for being the top shower curtain salesman. He even provided them to the military. On a more serious note; they also got a lot of contracts from the government and DOD so that is prolly where most of the money comes from. Although Cave himself was already a billionaire from selling shower curtains.

Meallme0
04-22-2011, 05:52 PM
You know, if I were a thinkin' man, I'd almost say that a complete mishandling of everything is Apertures motif.

But I'm not.

So I remain silent.

_Budweiser_
04-22-2011, 06:17 PM

Wow, amazing, you have such vision like... you made me realise, Pac Man makes no sense either!

Den1s
04-23-2011, 01:26 AM
Right, so you think electricity doesn't make sense because it travels through metals but not rubber?

You can prove why it travels only trough metal now cant you ?

darnedit
04-23-2011, 01:29 AM
Im not trying to troll or something but look at the facts ;)
I think YOU should look at the facts, because you certainly haven't even played the game yourself, or you would have known all the answers.

darnedit
04-23-2011, 01:30 AM
You can prove why it travels only trough metal now cant you ?
Most people who finished school can.

Den1s
04-23-2011, 01:31 AM
Most people who finished school can.

As i was saying i wasnt trolling

darnedit
04-23-2011, 01:32 AM
♥[/color]♥♥♥ does aperture get all its money from? that whole facility must have cost more than billions????
Did you even play the game?

gl1koz3
04-23-2011, 01:45 AM
That's exactly what I am thinking about the game... You've got the portal gun... but 90% of the walls are not for portals. My head feels like it's going to explode of this irony.

Doctor Nuriel
04-23-2011, 01:53 AM
Wooooooooooooooooooooooow. Epic troll is epic.

OP, have some +rep because you proved that, as always, SPUF fails to recognize and ignore a good troll.

darnedit
04-23-2011, 01:56 AM
OP, have some +rep because you proved that, as always, SPUF fails to recognize and ignore a good troll.
I can't ignore trolls, since they fool stupid people into believing their "facts" are correct xD
I feel the urge to correct them so they won't drag poor people into the hole of stupidity they create.

davlyn_20
04-23-2011, 01:59 AM

That's why the combines are searching for the Borealis.. IDIOT !

Idiot Cube
04-23-2011, 02:01 AM
This is some pretty advanced trolling. I'll give you 3000 troll points. Well done.

Oh, and replying to this post with "I'm not trolling" earns you another 500 points.

Den1s
04-23-2011, 02:13 AM
This is some pretty advanced trolling. I'll give you 3000 troll points. Well done.

Oh, and replying to this post with "I'm not trolling" earns you another 500 points.

Why cant you guys take it seriously i am not trolling :eek:

bannanaphoneist
04-23-2011, 02:40 AM

It's not about making surfaces that it doesn't work for, its about showing how it can be used on the minimal amount of ones it can.

It can only be used on SPECIFIC surfaces, so they test how it can be used, not because thats how they designed the portals to work, but because that is the LIMITS of portal technology. If they could (I assume) they would make them able to use a wider variety of surfaces.

You sir, are either an idiot or a troll, or quite possibly both.

RhinoMatte
04-23-2011, 02:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYIryh07hbY&feature=related

BokChoy
04-23-2011, 02:50 AM
Chocolatenanofibrewonderpants!

darnedit
04-23-2011, 02:51 AM
Fyi trolling isnt my style . Im just trying to find a point for the game , and explaining why it is pointless
I doubt you ever played the game, since EVERYTHING is explained, from your "genius" wall-issue to economics.

wsmieszek
04-23-2011, 03:14 AM
The portal gun works only on moon rock particles, that's why it only works on the white walls. That is why you can't teleport outside, except for onto the moon.

The test chambers are made to test the skills of the Test Subject, hence they are made hard through less portal-able surfaces. Yeah?

Idiot Cube
04-23-2011, 03:25 AM
Why cant you guys take it seriously i am not trolling :eek:

Wow, I honestly didn't think you'd take that bait.

Fine. Since you have deflected my counter-troll measures, I'll attack your argument head-on.

The portal device can't make portals on any surface. It seems to be limited to smooth, light-colored material, and also moon rocks. Aperture Science didn't create walls to deflect portals; it created a portal device with limited portal-placement capabilities.

Quantum wormholes are impossible to create manually, let alone keep open for longer than a few picoseconds. Frankly, it's a miracle Aperture was able to make this device at all, despite its limitations.

Oh, and one more thing: It's a video game.

Den1s
04-23-2011, 04:29 AM
So why making a portal device that doesnt work on anything except for moon surface or moon dust walls. And making tests for what knowing the world better . So they tested a few humands , robots or whatever and what they just keep on and on . I just think that the creators of the lab are stupid

And calling me an idiot only shows ur stupidity , you dont call people who try to find out the purpose of the game idiots :)

Yes i know its a video game , and VALVe have done a great job on it and everything cool .

wsmieszek
04-23-2011, 04:34 AM
So why making a portal device that doesnt work on anything except for moon surface or moon dust walls.

For the same reason people made cars running on gasoline and not on air, even though there is so much more air in the world.

Affenmonarch
04-23-2011, 04:37 AM
The portal gun works only on moon rock particles, that's why it only works on the white walls. That is why you can't teleport outside, except for onto the moon.

The test chambers are made to test the skills of the Test Subject, hence they are made hard through less portal-able surfaces. Yeah?

So why do you can place Portals on Walls coloured in this white colour stuff?

For the same reason people made cars running on gasoline and not on air, even though there is so much more air in the world.

Cars can't run with Air.
If they would modify the Portal gun, you could surely place Portals on any wall.

darnedit
04-23-2011, 04:43 AM
Cars can't run with Air.

That was the POINT, you troll. Yes, I know you are trolls, but logic wins regardless :
We can't make cars to run on air.
Aperture can't make portals on any surface.
It's just impossible. As explained in the game.

Affenmonarch
04-23-2011, 04:45 AM
That was the POINT, you troll. Yes, I know you are trolls, but logic wins regardless :
We can't make cars to run on air.
Aperture can't make portals on any surface.
It's just impossible. As explained in the game.

I'm no troll.Tell me, why should i troll?I'm trying to explain why Den1s is right.

And how can they say they can't do it if they didn't even try?

bakugov8
04-23-2011, 04:47 AM
Stupid thread is stupid.

Zack80100
04-23-2011, 04:47 AM
Medicines in real life that can save lives have to be tested for something like 15 years before they can be put to any use.

Den1s
04-23-2011, 04:54 AM
Stupid thread is stupid.

Useless post is useless , if you dont have anything to comment dont comment :)

Affenmonarch
04-23-2011, 04:54 AM
Stupid thread is stupid.

NOW it's stupid, because you wasted your time writing an useless Comment, saying the Thread is stupid.If it's stupid, why do you reply?

AeromaX7
04-23-2011, 05:11 AM
NOW it's stupid, because you wasted your time writing an useless Comment, saying the Thread is stupid.If it's stupid, why do you reply?

which only takes 2sec to write, yea, waste of time making fun of this thread... yea

xXrubiXx
04-23-2011, 05:19 AM
people said too that we cant reach the sky
and we reached...

you say that we cant make portal gun
but we will make :)

Den1s
04-23-2011, 06:14 AM
people said too that we cant reach the sky
and we reached...

you say that we cant make portal gun
but we will make :)

I didnt say we cant make a portal gun

SciTechFreak
04-23-2011, 07:57 AM
Just replay the game a few times, read all the posters, listen to all the audio recording, look at your environment and what it means, pay attention to the years painted on buildings, look out for the loading screens that tell you which timezone you are in and hold onto everything that talks as long as possible. Everything is explained but you have to dig for it yourself.

LdSunday
04-23-2011, 08:10 AM
How do you know for a fact nothing gets sold? I don't remember ever leaving the facility to see the sales on the outside world. Was that an easter egg?

Also, I would like to point out that immediately after turning on the machine that gets a high from testing, the entire staff was killed and the whole place automated. There wasn't exactly a huge amount of time to realize that they didn't have enough tests to keep GLaDOS busy. So, she did the same thing Wheatly did; testing redundantly because she needs to test SOMETHING.

Also, if you look at the slideshows in Portal 1, in the meeting rooms, it's a plot point that Aperture Science is inefficient and going out of business. Black Mesa beats them at everything, and even in Portal 2 C.J. says "We don't even have enough to buy 7 dollars of moon rocks."

It's a JOKE that Aperture Science fails at business sense. Because this is a comedy game. And when was the last time a business or character in a comedy made a logical decision?

Cookiedoh
04-23-2011, 08:14 AM
Suspension of disbelief

Neox94
04-23-2011, 08:16 AM
They need to test it before they release it to the public.

Den1s
04-23-2011, 03:24 PM
They need to test it before they release it to the public.

They did test it . Didnt they ? You dont need to test it a million times