PDA

View Full Version : More than 2 Player Co-op?

RocketSquirrel
04-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Hey i was just wondering if it was possible to have more than 2 player coop. Kind of like the 20 player lobbies in Left 4 dead 1 and 2. I think it would be fun to do stuff with me and 3 of my friends instead of having to only play with one at a time. Please reply ^^:D

All0utWar
04-23-2011, 07:56 PM
I guess it could be possible...maybe by going into the console in co-op and type in maxplayers 20 and invite others?

RocketSquirrel
04-23-2011, 08:17 PM
I guess it could be possible...maybe by going into the console in co-op and type in maxplayers 20 and invite others?
Didn't work :mad:

HolidayIsHere
04-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Iv'e also wanted to do this does anyone know a way?

RocketSquirrel
04-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Iv'e also wanted to do this does anyone know a way?

Yeah i hope someone knows how to do this :c

JPhantom95
04-23-2011, 09:05 PM
If there was a way, more than likely it'd require some modding rather than just a few console commands.

RocketSquirrel
04-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Bump... to SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

RocketSquirrel
04-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Bumping again... IM IN SPACE... DAD ARE YOU SPACE?

Battyone
04-23-2011, 09:49 PM
I am not sure if that would be possible, it's entirely possibly they only coded portals themselves to work in their assigned pairs. (B/O for SP, LB/DB and R/O for MP) and it would be impossible for a 3rd player to create a 3rd set of portals. We'll know better when the SDK tools are updated for p2.

RicenChicken
04-23-2011, 09:50 PM
it could be quite possible with SDK tools, i can see several mods coming to portal 2, maybe some1 will release a full mod where your fighting in teams.

Beany:)
04-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Trying to render more than 2 sets of portals would most likely cause frame rates in the negatives.
Two sets was a hard enough obstacle to tackle for the coders.

So basically: Not happening (Unfortunately).

RocketSquirrel
04-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Trying to render more than 2 sets of portals would most likely cause frame rates in the negatives.

Do you think it could be possible if you couldnt see through the portal (kind of like team portress)?

Donkkill12
04-23-2011, 09:56 PM
it could be quite possible with SDK tools, i can see several mods coming to portal 2, maybe some1 will release a full mod where your fighting in teams.

you can fight already..

bind h "sv_cheats 1"
bind j "fire_rocket_projectile"
bind k "host_timescale 0.1" (for slow-mo)
bind l "host_timescale 1" (for normal speed)

now get your friend to bind a key for fire_rocket_projectile..

theres also some other command that shoots a black and purple box (energy ball)

Battyone
04-23-2011, 09:56 PM
you can fight already..

bind h "sv_cheats 1"

My friend and I just grabbed a turret each and had turret wars. :D

stevether
04-23-2011, 09:57 PM
First off, there's probably several things that would go wrong when more than 2 people connected to one host if it was made possible. You would probably just crash.

Secondly, you cant change maxplayers once the server is started.

I've tried things like going into Steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\portal2\cfg\config.cfg, setting maxplayers there, and making it read only (otherwise portal will reset the cfg), but that didn't take either.

you can fight already..

bind h "sv_cheats 1"

Yeah, rocket wars can be pretty entertaining :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKFQAbgr6KE

Has anyone had any luck with getting Sourcemod to run with Portal 2? The one hitch I'm having is no metamod.vdf exists for it.

04-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Do you think it could be possible if you couldnt see through the portal (kind of like team portress)?

Definitely, then it's basically just creating a set of world teleporters without rendering anything extra.

Definitely not ideal though, and would lead to a lot of confusion.

I'm not sure what the co-op portal render depth is by default (how many portals in portals in portals etc. the game renders) but if it were set INCREDIBLY low, maybe even 1, it might run acceptably.

Of course I know minimal about how the game actually handles rendering portal depth so I could be completely wrong.

Donkkill12
04-23-2011, 10:01 PM
I wonder what the npc names are.. (npc_create command)

stevether
04-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Definitely, then it's basically just creating a set of world teleporters without rendering anything extra.

Definitely not ideal though, and would lead to a lot of confusion.

I'm not sure what the co-op portal render depth is by default (how many portals in portals in portals etc. the game renders) but if it were set INCREDIBLY low, maybe even 1, it might run acceptably.

Of course I know minimal about how the game actually handles rendering portal depth so I could be completely wrong.

You can only see through one level.

But what's the point of having 60 portals in one server? Unless people are gonna come out with insanely complicated custom maps there's not much of a point... nor does that sound like a lot of fun.

04-23-2011, 10:08 PM

I'm assuming you're talking about the co-op default?
If so, dam. But it doesn't surprise me really...

Without heavily re-scripting the portal rendering part of the engine I don't think it could be done very effectively then, and after listening the the co-op commentary It really doesn't sound like you could optimize it much more than they already have...

dsi1
04-23-2011, 10:20 PM

But what's the point of having 60 portals in one server? Unless people are gonna come out with insanely complicated custom maps there's not much of a point... nor does that sound like a lot of fun.

I could swear seeing at least 3 layers in while doing some of those short fast fall puzzles.

RocketSquirrel
04-28-2011, 02:59 PM

I wasnt expecting to have like 60 ppl on a server. Just a small group of friends to mayby speed run the 2 player maps or go to a playground map and mess around with cheats. That would be alot more fun with like mayby max 4 ppl c:

RocketSquirrel
05-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Bump it!

Menaus
05-06-2011, 08:30 PM

I have tried rendering like 20 portals in Portal 1 with a GPU that is supposed to render VIDEO and a very low-end processor. With little issues

You know nothing on how the Source Engine works. Its a simple console command that lets you do this.

dsi1
05-06-2011, 08:51 PM

Nope, try this command "change_portalgun_linkage_id" using a variable of 0-3. You'll need sv_cheats 1 enabled.