PDA

View Full Version : Darkspore Launch | US-Gift

Canalien
04-25-2011, 05:39 AM
hi
im living in germany so darkspore will launch on 28.04.11 here
BUT ive got a US copy of darkspore
will i be able to play darkspore on 26.04.11?

JamieKirby1981
04-25-2011, 05:46 AM
sadly, its region specific, so everyone outside the US will have to wait 2 days, which gives them an advantage, which really takes the point of the beta wipe away. lol

Ace2001
04-25-2011, 09:08 AM
sadly, its region specific, so everyone outside the US will have to wait 2 days, which gives them an advantage, which really takes the point of the beta wipe away. lol

But he bought a US copy. Will the game check his PC/IP when installed and/or first connects online and go "Yo, Bro, you be chillin' in Germany right now, so you've got to wait two more days!" or will he be able to play tomorrow since it'll be a US copy's CD key?

Godspeed1
04-25-2011, 09:29 AM
what jamiekirby mention is right, steam is region specific, even when you got the us gift copy it will still be lock based on the region you are currently at.

Fynmar
04-25-2011, 11:20 AM
But why is it delayed in Europe in the first place?

Teranasaurus
04-25-2011, 12:40 PM

My guess is publishers don't want the digital version of the game released before the retail boxed version which takes a few days more to make the journey to Europe.

Not necessarily a good reason, but Steam has to honor the wishes of the publishers in this case and the publishers are under a lot of pressure from the retailers who consider a digital platform like steam unfair competition.

JamieKirby1981
04-25-2011, 12:57 PM
My guess is publishers don't want the digital version of the game released before the retail boxed version which takes a few days more to make the journey to Europe.

Not necessarily a good reason, but Steam has to honor the wishes of the publishers in this case and the publishers are under a lot of pressure from the retailers who consider a digital platform like steam unfair competition.

oh please, i know someone that works in retail stores, when the game is coming out, they have it like a week prior to the release date.

When i talk about the different release dates i mean, the US get it on a tuesday, while most of the EU get it on a friday, 3 days later, its funny though, but when a UK made game is released, its released in the US at the same time, but US made games are not released in the UK or the EU at the same time.

Doesn't sound fair to me.

VoodooVyper
04-25-2011, 01:46 PM
oh please, i know someone that works in retail stores, when the game is coming out, they have it like a week prior to the release date.

When i talk about the different release dates i mean, the US get it on a tuesday, while most of the EU get it on a friday, 3 days later, its funny though, but when a UK made game is released, its released in the US at the same time, but US made games are not released in the UK or the EU at the same time.

Doesn't sound fair to me.

This is completely false, stores do not allow this. There are even rules in place that can ban users (on consoles) from playing online before the street date. Mangers would be fired for letting this happen. This is so for places like Gamestop and other game-only retailers. I work at Best Buy and when we get shipments of games that have a specific release, it's littered with orange stickers that say "DO NOT SELL BEFORE ##/##/####."

Kranodor
04-25-2011, 01:57 PM
I don't care about if I can start tuesday or thursday (not that much of a difference for me anyhow, due to work) ... I just hope that it doesn't get converted into some low-violence version upon launch for us Germans.

JoxerNL
04-25-2011, 03:43 PM

In the EU games always get released on a thursday because in the UK the "Sales Charts" get released on a thursday.
Making us Mainlanders wait for one country is BS.

Luckily there are some publishers *cough* THQ *cough* who realised this and release for mainland EU same time as the US (case and point the DoW2 : Retribution release), making the UK wait till thursday.

maddo03
04-25-2011, 05:10 PM
So the UK has to wait till the 28th?