PDA

View Full Version : Did the game improve since beta ?

mouettte
04-27-2011, 05:53 PM
TL;DR : Game was buggy during open beta. Is it better now ?

Hi !

I played the beta, and had fun with it, but encountered some nasty bugs and glitches in there. I'd like to know if they fixed them before I consider buying it.

Some of the bugs I'm talking about :
-Random loss of connection during a game
-Characters freezing even though you can still chat to your teammates, eventually resulting in having to forcelog and lose your progress
-Some display bugs where variables (like damage displayed when mousing over a skill) would constantly increase (going up until hitting the max value that can be displayed) when ingame.
-Some other random bugs. I think everyone did meet some, and it worried me how many I saw. Some of you will tell me "Duh, it's the beta" and I don't play betas often, but I gather most companies must release open betas when their game runs pretty smoothly to avoid discouraging possible buyers like me, right ?

Evilgoodone
04-27-2011, 06:03 PM
I think it did. I played different betas and newer ones were improving stability drastically.

verkinix
04-27-2011, 06:41 PM
It seems more solid to me, but I didn't have much trouble with the beta short of some graphical issues (now resolved thanks to CCC 11.4 drivers released today no less). Pretty much it's as I expected it to be at release having played the beta. Alot of the feedback suggestions I submitted haven't made it into the final release, but I'm hopeful they will at some point.

I've only been able to play up to level 2-1, so I'm no expert on game bugs past that point. Overall, the engine "feels" a bit better, though there are really minor differences that I've noticed.

l3reak
04-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Yeah, they fixed pretty much all the big bugs from the Beta. What's the last time you played? They haven't added anything really from the end of the open beta, but they have added stuff since earlier betas.

Nuclear_Suspect
04-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Connectivity / freezing seems to have been resolved (Least I havent had any issues of that nature outside beta)

As for the others I cant tell, never noticed them, even in the beta.

I have had VERY few grafical hicups, like some enemies not doing a death animation and at one time Sage turned invisible in the Armory, but thats all.

l3reak
04-27-2011, 07:05 PM
One thing that I found interesting is Goliath has had a recurring bug in many Beta's with his #1 ability that slashes the ground, and sometimes he sorta gets stuck mid-animation. Now, if you press "1" again, he'll complete his swing. Happened 3 or 4 times for me and worked every time. :)

Sometimes it's hard to pick up catalysts, still, but what I found helped was standing directly over the catalyst before trying to pick it up.

VoodooVyper
04-27-2011, 07:22 PM
I encountered 1 bug quite often in the beta that I still encounter now. Sort of like the bug you mention 13reak, in about 1/3 of the levels I play in, I won't be able to pick up items from the natural distance. The hero will make the animation, then get stick repeating it every 2 seconds until you move. This happens with catalysts and obelisks too. The only way I've found to remedy this problem is to first walk closer to the item, then it can be picked up.

This is not a very good work-around though. If I'm battling a tough horde and happen to mis-click on an item while doing so, being stuck for 2 seconds could change a lot.

This has happened with quite a few heroes, not just one in particular.

l3reak
04-27-2011, 08:09 PM
I encountered 1 bug quite often in the beta that I still encounter now. Sort of like the bug you mention 13reak, in about 1/3 of the levels I play in, I won't be able to pick up items from the natural distance. The hero will make the animation, then get stick repeating it every 2 seconds until you move. This happens with catalysts and obelisks too. The only way I've found to remedy this problem is to first walk closer to the item, then it can be picked up.

This is not a very good work-around though. If I'm battling a tough horde and happen to mis-click on an item while doing so, being stuck for 2 seconds could change a lot.

This has happened with quite a few heroes, not just one in particular.

I'm pretty sure that's a lag issue. I imagine there is work that Maxis can do on their end to fix it, but you might want to see if you can improve your connection, for instance, by using wired ethernet instead of wifi if you use a wireless connection. I hope we can fix it on our end ASAP, but for now, that might help. Just trying to provide as much help as I can. :)

VoodooVyper
04-27-2011, 10:42 PM
I'm pretty sure that's a lag issue. I imagine there is work that Maxis can do on their end to fix it, but you might want to see if you can improve your connection, for instance, by using wired ethernet instead of wifi if you use a wireless connection. I hope we can fix it on our end ASAP, but for now, that might help. Just trying to provide as much help as I can. :)

I questioned some users online and they said it's fairly common amongst the community. I can't fathom anything on my end being the problem. I know most user submitted bugs are due to their low end tech, but I'm on Fios with a 50mbit down connection peaked with a E4200 5.0 GHz high performance N router. I am able to run the game at 60 fps with an i7-2720 with a GTX 485m, so their is no problem with the hardware. I'm not trying to boast, I'm just giving you my situation.

I experience no player lag whatsoever in any game I've been on (Darkspore among others). I find it hard to believe it's a lag issue because there is a workaround to it. I just have to walk close to the item to pick it up. Also, if lag were an issue, things like projectiles fired would be delayed from when you actually click, like one would see in shooting games. The game gives no indication that there is a connection deficiency.

Also, I found that switching my hero usually fixes the problem as well. Still, not a valid workaround since there is a cooldown associated.
I'd be fine with it if it didn't freeze my hero in place for 2 seconds if I'm not close enough to it.

Maybe I didn't explain what happens well enough, but by playing and having everything run 100% smoothly (other players, actions, using ability, attacking, fps) and then seeing my character get stuck on an item, I'm lead to believe it's likely a bug.

l3reak
04-27-2011, 11:10 PM
I questioned some users online and they said it's fairly common amongst the community. I can't fathom anything on my end being the problem. I know most user submitted bugs are due to their low end tech, but I'm on Fios with a 50mbit down connection peaked with a E4200 5.0 GHz high performance N router. I am able to run the game at 60 fps with an i7-2720 with a GTX 485m, so their is no problem with the hardware. I'm not trying to boast, I'm just giving you my situation.

I experience no player lag whatsoever in any game I've been on (Darkspore among others). I find it hard to believe it's a lag issue because there is a workaround to it. I just have to walk close to the item to pick it up. Also, if lag were an issue, things like projectiles fired would be delayed from when you actually click, like one would see in shooting games. The game gives no indication that there is a connection deficiency.

Also, I found that switching my hero usually fixes the problem as well. Still, not a valid workaround since there is a cooldown associated.
I'd be fine with it if it didn't freeze my hero in place for 2 seconds if I'm not close enough to it.

Maybe I didn't explain what happens well enough, but by playing and having everything run 100% smoothly (other players, actions, using ability, attacking, fps) and then seeing my character get stuck on an item, I'm lead to believe it's likely a bug.

Oh, it definitely is a bug. I experience the same issue. The responsibility is on us to fix it. However, it is possible for there to be bugs that create a large amount of lag, but only when doing specific tasks. You have a great connection (I wish I had fiber!) but if you're using wireless, even N, it will increase your latency compared to wired ethernet. It shouldn't be a problem, like you say. If the game is programmed properly it's not enough lag to cause a problem.

However, if there is a bug in a game that creates abnormally high lag, then it's possible using wifi could make it worse. Anyway, it's just a suggestion, you don't have to try using wired if you don't want to or it's not feasible for your situation, and Maxis will definitely work on getting the issue fixed themselves ASAP.

Creaturemagic
04-28-2011, 04:23 AM
TL;DR : Game was buggy during open beta. Is it better now ?

Hi !

I played the beta, and had fun with it, but encountered some nasty bugs and glitches in there. I'd like to know if they fixed them before I consider buying it.

Some of the bugs I'm talking about :
-Random loss of connection during a game
-Characters freezing even though you can still chat to your teammates, eventually resulting in having to forcelog and lose your progress
-Some display bugs where variables (like damage displayed when mousing over a skill) would constantly increase (going up until hitting the max value that can be displayed) when ingame.
-Some other random bugs. I think everyone did meet some, and it worried me how many I saw. Some of you will tell me "Duh, it's the beta" and I don't play betas often, but I gather most companies must release open betas when their game runs pretty smoothly to avoid discouraging possible buyers like me, right ?

As many others have stated the bugs have been fixed and any existing ones are being removed ASAP. Just for some input, the game actually seems to be better optimized, what I mean by this is in beta my PC sometimes had FPS drops, now it runs smooth as and I have encountered no bugs thus far. Mind you I'm only on 1-3 :)

G4NK3D
04-28-2011, 04:27 AM
In my opinion it's MUCH harder now than it was in beta as well. Me and a friend almost didn't make it through 3-3 to 3-4 just the two of us cuz the mobs were tearing out heroes up even though we weren't the same genesis type as the mobs in each level. So, for me YES it improved. I personally like the challenge.

VoodooVyper
04-28-2011, 11:06 AM
As many others have stated the bugs have been fixed and any existing ones are being removed ASAP. Just for some input, the game actually seems to be better optimized, what I mean by this is in beta my PC sometimes had FPS drops, now it runs smooth as and I have encountered no bugs thus far. Mind you I'm only on 1-3 :)

I have encountered some pretty bad FPS drops. As mentioned, I am running an i7-2720, GTX 485m 2GB GDDR5, with 8GB RAM. Most levels run at 60 fps with everything maxed, but the parts that have dense particles, like the sections inside robotics type areas, can drop down to 20 FPS. I didn't play those levels in the beta, so I don't know if it's better or worse just putting it out there. The nav menu drops to 30 FPS as well which I thought was odd.

And about the difficulty, I noticed this right away as well. The challenge is ramped up very nicely, which is great. Games are too easy nowadays.

mouettte
04-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Also I did encounter this bug on picking up catalysts during the beta, and this would only happen if I was playing with teammates rather than solo, so most likely a lag issue on server side.
I also noticed a difficulty rampup even from one beta update to another, so wasn't worried about that, plus we do get new difficulty modes.

On an unrelated note, is there a safe way to buy a 4-pack and split it up with strangers ? Ofc I can ask them to pay upfront, but not sure why they would trust me with that...

Dubz
04-29-2011, 01:07 AM

Sorry L3reak, but I've reported the same issue a couple times. It was still there during open beta. It's not a lag issue on client side, since I play games like WoW and Rift with a static 25 ping, on a 120/25 Mbit connection.