PDA

View Full Version : $AU70 is just not good enough.

luinglin
04-28-2011, 09:09 AM
I played the demo and like the game, but I refuse to get shafted by the publisher just because they think Aussies are morons and will pay whatever price is set.

The $AU is almost trading at $US1.1 and you're still demanding almost 150% of the US price? I'll pass for now.

Someoneismad
04-28-2011, 12:03 PM
If you'd like, you can paypal me the money and I'll gift you it. I'm in the UK so it's 30 here (do the conversion).
If you're interested, my steam account is Lysix :) I did this for a few German people back when Borderlands had some censoring in or something similar.

luinglin
04-29-2011, 12:22 AM
While your honest attempts to help ^_^ are appreciated, you're kind of missing the point.

It's not about the money. Steam sells convenience. That is why I buy my games here rather than at any number of other online or retail outlets. What you're suggesting isn't simple or convenient.

I'm sick and tired of people defending Valve on this subject. Yes, the publishers set the prices, but Valve is complicit in their price-fixing and gleefully profits alongside them.

TazzieDevil
04-29-2011, 01:42 AM
What's the actual American price on steam? 30 pounds is about $45 Australian at the moment. I like steam but I am sick of being ripped off - if i pay for the same game from an online store why should I pay more for it...

54x
04-29-2011, 01:48 AM
It's US$50 from what a friend said.

TazzieDevil
04-29-2011, 01:58 AM
so that's a 40% + the exchange rate difference increase because we're in Australia... wow -- that is down right low, mean and nasty... I know the distributors have always charged more in Australia but the reasons - cost of shipping - region 4 disks - exchange rate - no longer apply with digital downloads so it's about time they woke up and started being a bit fairer... I'll pick it up in the bargain bin at much later date...

Breet
04-29-2011, 02:35 AM
While your honest attempts to help ^_^ are appreciated, you're kind of missing the point.

It's not about the money. Steam sells convenience. That is why I buy my games here rather than at any number of other online or retail outlets. What you're suggesting isn't simple or convenient.

I'm sick and tired of people defending Valve on this subject. Yes, the publishers set the prices, but Valve is complicit in their price-fixing and gleefully profits alongside them.

No offense, but, why are you mad at Steam/valve for this. Their hands are bound. EA says they want it sold at this price in this region then it's their choice, not valves.
Otherwise you would see ALL games on steam get this same pricejack instead of just EA titles. Just look at some of the old battlefield games on steam, double price for Aussies.

TazzieDevil: 49.99 on us store, 69.99 on au (can check other regions prices by going to steam store and adding the code at end of address ?cc=*countrycode eg ?cc=AU or US or UK.
Tho, I would advise against trying to buy from another region if your not there, given a friend setup an account for US, proper us mailing address and paypal. Yet both accounts got banned (using vpn for ip)

hurleyboy
04-29-2011, 04:41 AM

of course valve is complicit.

You realise that they either do what they say or they don't sell at all

One might note that The Witcher 2. Dissapeared off Australian steam 2-3 weeks ago and has yet to reappear.

Now CD-Projekt said it would be the same price everywhere but we can't garuntee that atm.

Fact is we have to deal with A-Hole publishers because otherwise they just wont sell on steam.

Eventually though there gonna have to bring the price down. the local retailers can't possibly have that much pull with them

TazzieDevil
04-29-2011, 07:39 AM
When i said distributors I meant publishers - i know it's EA not steam. Just very annoying to be ripped off just because they have a usual $90 price tag in the shop for games. Why should i pay more on steam than citizen of America or the UK - it's the exact same game.

Breet
04-29-2011, 01:10 PM
When i said distributors I meant publishers - i know it's EA not steam. Just very annoying to be ripped off just because they have a usual $90 price tag in the shop for games. Why should i pay more on steam than citizen of America or the UK - it's the exact same game.

Times change, but some people seem to be left behind ;)
When I was getting darkspore (traded it for extra copy of portal 2 I had) friend in the states didn't believe it when I said about the price difference. I think in the end we found some games (19.99) that were double price for us. :( But rule of thumb I always go for when considering getting a new game. Steam / Impulse / *game site itself* / retail. Normally one will be lower then the other (tho it's good to buy from the games site at times, esp for indie games as they tend to get more royalties from it :))

stik_mik
05-01-2011, 05:58 PM
If this game was selling for the same in Australia as it is in America (with exchange rates included), I would've preordered this in a heartbeat when I first saw it.

But AU$70 is just a kick in the guts from a publisher I havn't trusted in years.
Kinda reminds me WHY I don't trust them.