PDA

View Full Version : Auto-Update overhauling

timestamp
05-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Hi!

In the recent years there have been several 3rd-party updates for their games with huge negative impact on modifications (most recently Crysis 2) made for earlier versions.

While I sure like and use the auto-update feature I think it could use some improvements.

The more complicated method sure would be to have the choice of version, or at least a possibility to revert to an older version if owned (e.g bought with 1.0, forver possibility to get back to that one - like ordinary retail versions).

Another idea would be a clear information (honestly the news system doesn't work very well, plus the update applies immediatly) that there is an update available and in addition to that the offering of the *choice* wether to install it or not.

I think the first idea is the optimum for the customer but the latter is more realistic and definatly viable.

djsamuraisam
05-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Although its a good idea in purpose, it kind of defies the point of Steam. I love having all my games, ready to play and updated.

If I had to click through 200 games and approve updates from them all I would not be a happy camper.

It would good as an optional service for 3rd party games though.

Strat79
05-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Yeah, if ever implemented it should be off by default and only an option to turn off auto updating in lieu of the new "pick which update you want" system.

DarthPsymon
05-01-2011, 11:22 AM
I'd love to have the option to roll back to previous versions of a game.

michael89
05-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Running a older version of the game X might work only single player.
However it wouldnt work on multiplayer. :rolleyes:

timestamp
05-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Although its a good idea in purpose, it kind of defies the point of Steam. I love having all my games, ready to play and updated.

If I had to click through 200 games and approve updates from them all I would not be a happy camper.

It would good as an optional service for 3rd party games though.

Good point, didn't thought about that since I use my acccount daily and therefore don't get much patches at once.

For that I could think of a list where all updates for your installed games are shown. Maybe even implent it as an popup like the news.

Running a older version of the game X might work only single player.
However it wouldnt work on multiplayer. :rolleyes:

Depends. Not every MP-Patch is a good thing too and if it's buggy and the possibility is given, the servers may not run them either.

But in any case no one is forcing you to not patch your games. I just want the possibility for that.