PDA

View Full Version : So, unlock question...

shrinkshooter
05-03-2011, 08:28 AM
I am on the US east coast. I don't follow steam releases ever, so although I know this game unlocks on May 4 (tomorrow) I don't know when. Will I be able to download it 12 hours from now when midnight hits? Or is Valve's system based on the West Coast? Or do they unlock games at 12 noon on release days?

Thanks in advance.

==edit==

Woops. Didn't check the store page. They didn't use to have that timer, guess I should have looked first. 1 day 2 hours...so 1 pm tomorrow for me. Well. That sucks.

King-Martin
05-03-2011, 10:47 AM
so 1 pm tomorrow for me. Well. That sucks.

:o You think that sucks? I live in the UK so it will be 19:00 tomorrow (if Valve time can be trusted)

Bezzi
05-03-2011, 11:05 AM
about 23 hours left gmt+2 so a lot still :)

AusSkiller
05-03-2011, 12:15 PM
:o You think that sucks? I live in the UK so it will be 19:00 tomorrow (if Valve time can be trusted)

What are you complaining about? We need to wait till 3am on the 5th here in Australia :(, so most of us will not even start downloading till 4+ hours after it's released and Australian internet is a joke so it'll take most of us longer to download too :(.

-GLiTcHeD-
05-03-2011, 12:47 PM
It says it unlock on May 4th but that's just in 2 hours (GMT+1).

However, the store page says 22 hours untill it unlocks, so that's actually tomorrow evening 20:00 :o

I expected it to be available at midnight, like any other launch.

IdealistTCO
05-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Maybe they should just give a release time instead of a release date. That would be less likely to get peoples hopes up. But as I recall, the first Section 8 release was pushed back by a few hours on it's release day.

King-Martin
05-03-2011, 04:52 PM
What are you complaining about? We need to wait till 3am on the 5th here in Australia :(, so most of us will not even start downloading till 4+ hours after it's released and Australian internet is a joke so it'll take most of us longer to download too :(.
True I guess, monthly caps must really vex you guys out, I don't envy you at all.:confused:

partyars
05-04-2011, 12:06 AM

same here, half a day of being bored waiting :(

Sifer2
05-04-2011, 12:14 AM
Not all games on Steam get a midnight release. At least the time the page is giving is realistic. Since that's plenty of time for Valve to be at the office. Of course it also has to be unlocked on GFWL. So lets hope neither one of them screw up.

{Yotsuba}
05-04-2011, 01:33 AM
Just remember, that although the countdown is pointing to a specific time, it is actually very rare for a game to unlock at the exact moment its countdown hits zero. So while this game's store page currently states "This game will unlock in approximately 8 hours", it's more likely the game will unlock a few hours after that time.

So if you're likely to be waiting up at night for the game to unlock, do yourself a favor and go to bed.

King-Martin
05-04-2011, 01:55 AM
waiting up at night for the game to unlock.
distinctly remember doing this on a few occasions and seeing some serious ructions on these forums with people even going as far to blame Gabe personally (xd)

{Yotsuba}
05-04-2011, 06:00 AM
distinctly remember doing this on a few occasions and seeing some serious ructions on these forums with people even going as far to blame Gabe personally (xd)

Oh yeah, that happens on most releases. The problem is, while the countdown system is automatic (i.e., once it hits zero, the game is automatically listed as released in the store), the actual deployment of the game so that it can be downloaded and played is manual. And generally whoever does it at Valve, doesn't do it at the same time to countdown reaches zero.

So the forums go crazy on most releases.

King-Martin
05-04-2011, 07:27 AM
So the forums go crazy on most releases.
Yeah with people burning their TF2 plushes! Oh well supposedly 2 hours to go

{Yotsuba}
05-04-2011, 08:31 AM
It seems to have unlocked early. Which is interesting...