PDA

View Full Version : Strategies

nucoben
05-05-2011, 07:47 AM
Hey, I am massively enjoying this and was wondering if anyone had developed any good strategies?

At the moment I just try to do the below in my 5 min rush games.

Ensure all unexplored caves are explored, do not want any nasty surprises.
Fully solidify water/lava as soon as I find it.
Build as many outposts as possible to produce as many diggers as I can. Place these outposts further away from base so I do not end up with many dwarves milling around large open spaces.
Only have 4 high experience guards I distribute accordingly.
Point diggers towards minerals whenever possible!

Also, is there a way to take screen shots in game, or do I need to reinstall Fraps? *EDIT*: Screenshots only work in windowed mode, not fullscreen. Or as Pixiez mentioned, use steams F12.

And finally, any tips on googling/youtubing "Dwarfs!?", quite hard to find other info online (Maybe as it has just been released!).

Brendanoz
05-05-2011, 07:53 AM
by strategies do you mean going for a high score?

also the only video i could find was of simon from yogcast playing it so far http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXAoJbCYVqs&feature=feedu

nucoben
05-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Going for high scores in 5 minute mode, how do the top 3 players all have scores of say 300k+ then everyone else has 70k-100k, they must be doing something differently.

Endless mode, how do you go about managing a vast empire, creating a giant solid wall with only one entrance/exit to prevent lave flooding in?

Anything really related to the game!

RaranTroff
05-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Not sure myself how they get such high scores and don't really care. Honestly the point isn't to compete against their scores but to compete against your own. Thats how I see it anyway.

I don't see this game becoming an esport arena hit anytime soon. :-)

nucoben
05-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Yup, but I have grown tired of beating my own score. Would be interesting to know what others do to get such high scores and try new play styles or learn new tricks.

Brendanoz
05-05-2011, 08:15 AM
a few tricks i've got for getting high scores are always have the speed button held down, always give orders to miners as they work faster under instruction it seems and if you have the gold to do so leave 4 axemen on training mode to get the points from them hitting lvl 10.

nucoben
05-05-2011, 08:25 AM
always give orders to miners as they work faster under instruction it seems and if you have the gold to do so leave 4 axemen on training mode to get the points from them hitting lvl 10.

Sweet, I generally left miners to do as they liked and then spent gold fixing where they went wrong. And was not aware of the level 10 axemen points, will give those a shot!

*EDIT* Wahey, #3 in Normal 5 mins, awesome tips. 340k score!

Pixiez
05-05-2011, 09:10 AM
I think you can take screenshots by using Steam. Press F12