PDA

View Full Version : Can't get the demo to run

SilvasRuin
05-06-2011, 03:44 AM
I try to play it and I have to give the Steam Client Service permission to change something, it brings up a screen about doing a first time setup, and then immediately gives me a "This game is currently unavailable" error.

Before, it did have me update/repair XLA or whatever it was called.
Verifying the integrity of the game cache causes it to say that 1 file failed to validate and will be reacquired, and it says this every single time I have it verify.

A quick glance through some of the error threads already here hasn't turned up any problem quite like mine. I'm stumped. I can't even get the demo to run to see if I'll like it.

Haihaine
05-06-2011, 04:55 AM
Sounds a bit like the problem Rugluds had in this thread?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1872619

Yoshiro's suggestion seems to have done the trick for him!

tgf87
05-06-2011, 06:39 AM
I'm having the same problem. When I try launching the demo, Win7 asks for permission to let "Steam Client Service" run in order to complete the initial setup. Immediately after I get an error message through Win7 "Dwarfs stopped working" (Or something along the lines of that. I have a Danish version)

I tried reinstalling XNA and NET-framework, I tried deleting the game and redownload it. I tried verifying game cache files. I tried to change download location on steam. Nothing works.

Any help?

Bnips
05-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Thought I'd post I'm having the exact same issue and I've tried everything suggested so far to no help (and unfortunately I bought the game and didn't play the demo I guess it was $9 for nothing...)

Haihaine
05-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Thought I'd post I'm having the exact same issue and I've tried everything suggested so far to no help (and unfortunately I bought the game and didn't play the demo I guess it was $9 for nothing...)

EDIT: If you run into an error code "2908" or possibly "1935", have a shot at this fix: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22247194&postcount=11

Also, test the things flava_clown mentioned below!

If nothing at all works for you, I'm fairly certain that you're eligible for a full refund by contacting Valve. It sucks, but at the moment we don't know what's causing these isolated incidents of the game not starting. :(

So, if you've tried everything and still can't even get it to start, I recommend getting a refund while waiting for us to find the problem! Since both the demo and full version is affected, it's easy to check if it has been fixed by downloading the demo. :)

flava_clown
05-06-2011, 11:57 AM
before you ask for a refund.

1. exit/quit steam.
2. now start steam with admin rights.
3. start dwarfs.

for me it seems to be the usual xna problem.
if you have to install .net and xna manualy then do it the right way.

1. [path to steam]\Steam\steamapps\common\dwarfs\Depends\DotNet\dotN etFx35setup.exe <- run this as admin!
2. use windows update to get the latest 3.5 version (should be sp1)
3. [path to steam]\Steam\steamapps\common\dwarfs\Depends\XNA\xnafx31 _redist.msi (pay attention! if it shows error messages or something)
4. [path to steam]\Steam\steamapps\common\dwarfs\Depends\DirectX\DXS ETUP.exe <- run this as admin! and do this even if you have directx 11 already!!!

use this tool (http://frameworkdetector.codeplex.com/) to check if .net is installed properly.

edit: if you do the manual steps, then you might want to delete the G:\Steam\steamapps\common\dwarfs\installscript.vdf to make sure that steam doesn't try to install all this again (which could lead again to said error message)

Bnips
05-06-2011, 12:59 PM
If nothing at all works for you, I'm fairly certain that you're eligible for a full refund by contacting Valve. It sucks, but at the moment we don't know what's causing these isolated incidents of the game not starting.

Steam unfortunately states in its EULA that they don't offer refunds. I'm willing to accept this after all it was only $9 thank you for trying to help address this problem, but I think at this point I'm just going to delete local content and chalk it up as a failure.

Yoshiro
05-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Bnips, Steam support will offer refunds on a case by case basis. Please go ahead and put in a ticket.

If you run into problems, send me the steam ticket and I will attempt to push it forward.

flava_clown
05-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Steam unfortunately states in its EULA that they don't offer refunds. I'm willing to accept this after all it was only $9 thank you for trying to help address this problem, but I think at this point I'm just going to delete local content and chalk it up as a failure.

i don't know why you don't try what i've posted...

also, if you ask nicely, valve/steam will at least give you another game instead. however if i would be you, i would first try to get it to work. not only for this game but also for other games which require xna and/or .net (like magicka, plain sight)

SilvasRuin
05-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Thank you, I think it was the XNA that needed an update and I didn't have a requirement for said update. I've been able to get it to load now.