PDA

View Full Version : Steam cannot connect to steam network

Swiftstrike
05-06-2011, 04:30 PM
This is a rather odd problem because it happened out of the blue.

Today I started up steam only to be greeted by the login screen. I entered my password and apparently steam couldn't connect to the steam network. So I go and try to repair steam with the install file, which leads me to more problems. I'm currently stuck trying to update steam and getting an error "Steam.exe (main exception): To run steam, you must first connect to the internet."

Here's what Iv'e tried:
-restart computer
-delete ClientRegistry.blob
-deleting everything except steamapps folder and steam.exe
-complete uninstall/reinstall
-disabled firewall
-disabled network bridge (have a console connected, figured steam might be trying to connect using the wrong connection)
-run steam shortcut with -tcp
-had my friend logon to make sure it wasn't ISP blocking connection

What may be the problem:
-Steam trying to connect using local area network instead of wireless connection (I disabled/unplugged it though)
-ClientRegistry.blob size is only 1KB (even after I delete and run steam again, it starts off a 10,000KB something then drops to 1KB).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's been frustrating since Steam has been working for nearly 2 years and all of a sudden this happens. I didn't uninstall or install any software the night before this happened and steam was working fine then. I haven't visited any websites I haven't visited a million times before, so I don't think it'd be a virus (currently running a scan though).

-Thanks

Swiftstrike
05-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Ok, small update...

I looked at my security history in Norton and it seems to be blocking some sort of connection every time I run steam. I already have it set to allow steam and I've tried running it with the firewall completely off.

I'll have to look into this because I'm guessing it's the issue.

Snaze
05-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Did your friends login to your computer through your ISP to see if that worked?

IOnlyLurk
05-06-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm getting the same problem. I was switching content servers because I had trouble downloading the new TF2 update and I restarted Steam and bam. Can't log in.

IOnlyLurk
05-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Alright I fixed my problem. I started Steam in offline mode and changed my download region from US - Pittsburgh to US - Washington, DC and now I can login.

Swiftstrike
05-07-2011, 04:28 AM
Did your friends login to your computer through your ISP to see if that worked?

Yeah, same internet service provider.

I'm nearly 100% certain it has something to do with norton 360. The pile of trash keeps randomly deciding to block the local port required for steam. I think I'll uninstall norton then try updating steam. Can't figure out why Norton keeps adding a traffic rule to block the steam port, even though it's set to "allow" on program rules...

Swiftstrike
05-07-2011, 04:31 AM
Alright I fixed my problem. I started Steam in offline mode and changed my download region from US - Pittsburgh to US - Washington, DC and now I can login.

Appreciate the help, but I can't start in offline because it's missing my login data. I'm currently stuck at trying to reinstall steam, since when it tries to update to the latest version, it errors out saying "cannot connect to steam network." The norton log shows a blocked connect in the history each time I try to launch steam.

Swiftstrike
05-07-2011, 04:58 AM
Uninstalled Norton 360, didn't help. I'm back to square one...

Swiftstrike
05-07-2011, 07:38 PM
I did a complete reinstall of Windows 7 and tried to install steam again. Receiving the same error "Cannot connect to steam network, please try again."

That eliminates every software/firewall conflict that it could be. The only other option is that the apartment complex where I lived changed the router settings to block steam ports (and somehow doesn't affect my friend???), but that doesn't make much sense...

I'm really at a loss :(
and I can't contact steam support since I haven't received the verification email.

Xtreme2damax
05-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Same issue here. Steam might be getting swamped because of the deals. I'll wait for a couple hours and try again. I just purchased Dead Space, Dead Space 2, and Mass Effect 2 so I would really like to play them. :(

Swiftstrike
05-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Same issue here. Steam might be getting swamped because of the deals. I'll wait for a couple hours and try again. I just purchased Dead Space, Dead Space 2, and Mass Effect 2 so I would really like to play them. :(

Yeah, I'm hoping it's a steam side issue too. There hasn't been much news though.

Xtreme2damax
05-08-2011, 07:51 AM
I still can not connect to Steam. Not so sure if this is a Steam/Valve issue now.

:Edit: Checked my ports and firewall settings, both are fine. Steam was also connecting fine before last night.

:Edit 2: I was able to finally log in, seems I got logged out by Steam Guard. When I tried to log in last night Steam said I was trying to log in from another computer, likely because my IP changed since I last used steam due to Verizon replacing a faulty ONT in the basement. The only problem is that when I tried to enter the verification code sent to my email Steam couldn't connect and I was locked out. So I followed the directions in the following post:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21982911&postcount=91

After the installing was rebuilt Steam sent me a new verification code when I tried to log in, I was able to successfully verify this time and log into Steam.

HawtKoffee
05-11-2011, 05:11 PM
I have a ton of editing to do for this saxxy update tf2 has and I've wasted 2 hours trying to log in because of this

Swiftstrike
05-11-2011, 05:23 PM
I still can not connect to Steam. Not so sure if this is a Steam/Valve issue now.

:Edit: Checked my ports and firewall settings, both are fine. Steam was also connecting fine before last night.

:Edit 2: I was able to finally log in, seems I got logged out by Steam Guard. When I tried to log in last night Steam said I was trying to log in from another computer, likely because my IP changed since I last used steam due to Verizon replacing a faulty ONT in the basement. The only problem is that when I tried to enter the verification code sent to my email Steam couldn't connect and I was locked out. So I followed the directions in the following post:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21982911&postcount=91

After the installing was rebuilt Steam sent me a new verification code when I tried to log in, I was able to successfully verify this time and log into Steam.

Thanks, I've already deleted everything from the steam folder and still have the same issues. It can't connect while trying to update steam either...

Swiftstrike
05-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Bump

Sigh...

Adliikhwan280
02-28-2012, 06:49 PM
I'm getting the same problem. I was switching content servers because I had trouble downloading the new TF2 update and I restarted Steam and bam. Can't log in.

Exact same thing happened to me. This happens lots of times.