PDA

View Full Version : Paypal ?

HardTargetUK
05-07-2011, 02:42 PM
I am trying to pay through paypal, why does steam still want my name, address, etc. Surely if I am paying with paypal all they should need is my email address?

I wanted to purchase the Crysis pack that was on offer early today, but due to Steam wanting all my details I decided to not buy and now the offer has gone......sigh!

Is there anyway I can buy Steam games without them having to know all my details surly just my paypal e-mail address is enough?

Justin7
05-07-2011, 02:43 PM
I am trying to pay through paypal, why does steam still want my name, address, etc. Surely if I am paying with paypal all they should need is my email address?

I wanted to purchase the Crysis pack that was on offer early today, but due to Steam wanting all my details I decided to not buy and now the offer has gone......sigh!

Is there anyway I can buy Steam games without them having to know all my details surly just my paypal e-mail address is enough?

It's another layer of safety. There is no other way. It needs to double check to be sure. No other way possible.

Dreadjaws
05-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Well, I suppose they need a way to know the name/address/etc. are the same ones Paypal has.

johnston9234
05-07-2011, 02:46 PM
yep, otherwise i could just pick anyone's paypal account and use it to buy games

DeadlyCheese
05-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Why does it matter that they want to know these details..?

Legacy-ZA
05-07-2011, 03:07 PM

Sorry to say this, but I am sure they do this to make sure people are region pwned. EA and Activision prices anyone? If they didn't verify it, then people could just use their PayPal account to purchase from the US / UK / AUSTRALIA store. This will make publishers regional pricing irrelevant.

HardTargetUK
05-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Why does it matter that they want to know these details..?Privacy! As far as I'm concerned It's bad enough having to have steam on my system in order to play games and now they want to know my name address and bank details. I value my privacy and will keep buying retail products such a shame as they have some good deals.

Nekomancer
05-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Sorry to say this, but I am sure they do this to make sure people are region pwned.
Sorry, but the IP alone is able to do that, you don't need such details just to enforce regional prices.

It really is only for security and billing reasons.

Legacy-ZA
05-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Sorry, but the IP alone is able to do that, you don't need such details just to enforce regional prices.

It really is only for security and billing reasons.

Oh really? What if I decided to work through a VPN / Proxy Server?

TimL
05-07-2011, 04:53 PM
It wont let you complete your purchase because it checks the country and so on set in your PayPal account.

Mave.ts
05-07-2011, 04:54 PM
I never fill in right details... they look okay-ish, as long as you don't live in a 30km radius of me. :>

Dreadjaws
05-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Privacy! As far as I'm concerned It's bad enough having to have steam on my system in order to play games and now they want to know my name address and bank details. I value my privacy and will keep buying retail products such a shame as they have some good deals.

Hey, you know who else knows your name, address and bank details? Paypal. And you know who else? Your bank. All of them do it for the same reasons. And, unlike your bank, Steam is not going to send anything to your mailing address.

Really, all this "they have access to all my privacy!" ranting gets tiresome, do you think these guys are going send spies to your house to see you showering now that they have your address or something like that?

myth700
05-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Tin foil hats people..... Where are you tin foil hats!?!?

Washell
05-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Privacy!

Judging by your name you live in the UK. Based on your mobile records, ATM transactions or paying with a card in store and ubiquitous use of surveillance cameras in UK, a trip to the store is a larger invasion of your privacy than telling Steam your address.

HardTargetUK
05-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Really, all this "they have access to all my privacy!" ranting gets tiresome, do you think these guys are going send spies to your house to see you showering now that they have your address or something like that?Simply stating why would they need my details when paying for a game using Paypal? Paypal have already verified my account so why should Steam want my personal details? As for you reply if you have nothing useful to state in your reply please don't bother replying at all!

crunchyfrog555
05-07-2011, 05:46 PM

This is standard with all online purchases. It is normally partly as a security measure (as the details you have on Steam and Paypal's records aren't used in the transaction, you enter them each time, and then they are "scrubbed" to avoid security issues), and partly as each time you are paying for something, it is a new contract. There is more to it than that, but I can't remember the rest off-hand (and I don't have the documentation to hand at the moment to quote it, as I'm not in my office).

There can also be the Data Protection Act involvement as well - just because one party has your account details, and another does too, it does not necessarily mean they are entitled to fully access them. Different companies and organizations store different things about you (it all depends on what their subscription entails), so if you you were paying one company with the funds stored at another company, there MAY be data on one that the other party is not obliged to see.

But from a security point of view, when those details have been asked of you, after the transaction, they ARE erased and not stored.

If you don't mind me enquiring, as you're in the UK, do you have a debit or credit card?

If so, I might be able to offer you a bit of advice (no, I'm not selling anything) to help you in future. Feel free to PM me any time (or if you wish, ask here).

Dreadjaws
05-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Simply stating why would they need my details when paying for a game using Paypal? Paypal have already verified my account so why should Steam want my personal details? As for you reply if you have nothing useful to state in your reply please don't bother replying at all!

I did have something useful to say, and I said it, you just ignored it.

But then again, with your obvious paranoia, thinking "everyone is out to attack me!", it should have been clear you were going to do it.

Red Sparowe
05-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Let me be the first to welcome you to the Internet, HardTargetUK. I see you've managed to create a PayPal account. Well done. Steam needs some personal information to verify that "HardTargetUK" is, in fact, you accessing your PayPal account. PayPal "verification" only verifies the bank account number you provided, it does not verify your identity to third parties.

(Edit: Nobody else thinks it's hysterical that this person is paranoid about giving some personal information to Valve, but had no problem divulging their entire banking information with PayPal?)

DarkIce
05-07-2011, 06:39 PM
What else would they be doing with your address? With the millions of Steam subscribers, I doubt yours would stand out and they have no need to look at it in any case.

HardTargetUK
05-08-2011, 05:16 AM
This is standard with all online purchases. It is normally partly as a security measure (as the details you have on Steam and Paypal's records aren't used in the transaction, you enter them each time, and then they are "scrubbed" to avoid security issues), and partly as each time you are paying for something, it is a new contract. There is more to it than that, but I can't remember the rest off-hand (and I don't have the documentation to hand at the moment to quote it, as I'm not in my office).

There can also be the Data Protection Act involvement as well - just because one party has your account details, and another does too, it does not necessarily mean they are entitled to fully access them. Different companies and organizations store different things about you (it all depends on what their subscription entails), so if you you were paying one company with the funds stored at another company, there MAY be data on one that the other party is not obliged to see.

But from a security point of view, when those details have been asked of you, after the transaction, they ARE erased and not stored.

If you don't mind me enquiring, as you're in the UK, do you have a debit or credit card?

If so, I might be able to offer you a bit of advice (no, I'm not selling anything) to help you in future. Feel free to PM me any time (or if you wish, ask here).Thanks for your input Crunchy very much appreciated and it has certainly helped, unlike some of the other replies. Yes I do have debit/credit cards and I am a UK based. I just wish to be able to purchase Steam games when they have offers on without them knowing all my personal details, hence the reason I wanted to use Paypal as I have bought lots of items on-line and all I do is log-into my Paypal account and send the payment. I have never come across anything like Steam were they want all my details before I can pay using Paypal. If you could PM any more advise rather than post here it would be appreciated. :)

crunchyfrog555
05-08-2011, 07:12 AM
Thanks for your input Crunchy very much appreciated and it has certainly helped, unlike some of the other replies. Yes I do have debit/credit cards and I am a UK based. I just wish to be able to purchase Steam games when they have offers on without them knowing all my personal details, hence the reason I wanted to use Paypal as I have bought lots of items on-line and all I do is log-into my Paypal account and send the payment. I have never come across anything like Steam were they want all my details before I can pay using Paypal. If you could PM any more advise rather than post here it would be appreciated. :)

Yup, I've given a full reply via PM, which I hope you'll find useful.

But I'll reiterate here (for anybody else in a similar situation), if you have debit or credit card, there is NO REASON to use Paypal at all. The protection offered by these cards is better than Paypal offer.

And that's without mentioning the problems that many suffer with random account disables due to Paypal's behaviour.