PDA

View Full Version : What I want from portal 3.

I_AM_THE_LAW
05-08-2011, 01:09 AM
heres the biggest question and (arguably) the most important question when talking about the story of a game.

Who in the hell is the player gonna have control of?

I see either two ways this could go. either you wake up in a relaxation vault as rattman, but the whole game glados will be trying to kill you(she doesnt need humans any more and would probably be hostile to them because they make her life less simple.) and it wouldnt be about 'testing' but about escaping the whole game. (sort of like the last bits of portal 2)
The gameplay of portal should still be based around the portal gun no matter what.

OR

Chell realizes "oh sh*t theres nothing to do out here imma go back." I honestly wouldnt be surprised if chell DID wander back into the facilities. There could be various reasons, danger of combine, boredom, loneliness. etc.

THE COMBINE

If the combine have the knowledge and desire to look for the borealis, they probably know where aperture is located and just choose not to because of glados. Now that chells out, they might hear stories that chell killed glados. It would be interesting to see the combine flooding in while your escaping their gunfire by portaling through the air. now THAT, would be some fast-paced portal action.

So what do you guys think? do you think this would be the way to go for portal 3?

Makorus
05-08-2011, 01:12 AM
Rattman is dead...

Chell is free and she probably wont return...

The Combines are already gone in Portal 2...

You found ALLOOOOTTTT of humans in the Coop Campaign

I_AM_THE_LAW
05-08-2011, 01:18 AM
Rattman is dead...

Chell is free and she probably wont return...

The Combines are already gone in Portal 2...

You found ALLOOOOTTTT of humans in the Coop Campaign

DAMNIT!! I didnt finish the co-op campaign yet and now I know what happens. oh well, I guess thats what i get for posting this before finishing the co-op campaign. I didnt really expect any big story relevancy in the co-op campaign.

btw, how do we know that the combine are gone during the events of portal 2?

gotxbrains
05-08-2011, 01:33 AM

we don't. It's just speculation. Some people think it's because chell was asleep for NINE NINE NINE NINE NINE days. But it was more like 50 years or so.

I think portal 2 happens about the same time Gordon appears in city 17

TWS composer
05-08-2011, 01:49 AM
If the combine have the knowledge and desire to look for the borealis, they probably know where aperture is located and just choose not to because of glados. Now that chells out, they might hear stories that chell killed glados. It would be interesting to see the combine flooding in while your escaping their gunfire by portaling through the air. now THAT, would be some fast-paced portal action.
Oh yeah! Once again the mighty (SLAM!) (gunfire) "YYYYYEEEEOOOOOUUUUUCCCCHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!"

maddios
05-08-2011, 01:55 AM
we don't. It's just speculation. Some people think it's because chell was asleep for NINE NINE NINE NINE NINE days. But it was more like 50 years or so.

First you say 50 years, then you say when Gordon appears in City 17. Which is it? :p

Makorus
05-08-2011, 02:05 AM
DAMNIT!! I didnt finish the co-op campaign yet and now I know what happens. oh well, I guess thats what i get for posting this before finishing the co-op campaign. I didnt really expect any big story relevancy in the co-op campaign.

I put it in spoiler tags ;)

And I know because we see the earth at the end of the game and the oceans are all fine.

Because we know that the combine drained water of the earth.

jedediahpelland
05-08-2011, 02:06 AM
heres the biggest question and (arguably) the most important question when talking about the story of a game.

Who in the hell is the player gonna have control of?

I see either two ways this could go. either you wake up in a relaxation vault as rattman, but the whole game glados will be trying to kill you(she doesnt need humans any more and would probably be hostile to them because they make her life less simple.) and it wouldnt be about 'testing' but about escaping the whole game. (sort of like the last bits of portal 2)
The gameplay of portal should still be based around the portal gun no matter what.

OR

Chell realizes "oh sh*t theres nothing to do out here imma go back." I honestly wouldnt be surprised if chell DID wander back into the facilities. There could be various reasons, danger of combine, boredom, loneliness. etc.

THE COMBINE

So what do you guys think? do you think this would be the way to go for portal 3?Or maybe Chell returns to find out answers about her life. It seems pretty aparent she has grown up around Apeture given her name on the project on the Bring Your Daughter to Work room. What answers are there for her in the real world, considering so much time has gone by. Probably none, so it seems to me she may be compelled to go back and find answers about her origins and past.

Raefire
05-08-2011, 03:12 AM
THE COMBINE[/B]

Please tell me I wasn't the only half-expecting Chell to be ejected from Aperture - only to end up face to face with a Strider towering over her?

I_AM_THE_LAW
05-08-2011, 04:50 AM

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Glados#Portal_2
^^
In this article on the half life wiki it says that chell is awakened in portal 1 a little bit after the combine invasion of earth. Of course, theres a distance of time between the combine invasion and gordons arrival at city 17.

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/20479/how-much-in-game-time-has-passed-between-portal-1-and-2

^^
in that link above, a valve employee said that portal 2 is at least 50,000 years after portal 1. it also says from a lot of either people that its set hundreds of years after portal 1 so the 273 years thats also stated in the article above would make sense.

its either 273 years after the combine invasion or 50,000 years after the combine invasion. 273 years could possibly be during the events of half life 2 ep 3 or after. 50,000 years could be after the (theoretical) fall of the combine, assuming the resistance overcame their forces. of course, we dont know if thats what will happen.

Either chell walked into a nice rebuilt society run by the resistance, or she walked in to the conflict between the combine and the resistance.

Makorus
05-08-2011, 05:21 AM
http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Glados#Portal_2
^^
In this article on the half life wiki it says that chell is awakened in portal 1 a little bit after the combine invasion of earth. Of course, theres a distance of time between the combine invasion and gordons arrival at city 17.

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/20479/how-much-in-game-time-has-passed-between-portal-1-and-2

^^
in that link above, a valve employee said that portal 2 is at least 50,000 years after portal 1. it also says from a lot of either people that its set hundreds of years after portal 1 so the 273 years thats also stated in the article above would make sense.

its either 273 years after the combine invasion or 50,000 years after the combine invasion. 273 years could possibly be during the events of half life 2 ep 3 or after. 50,000 years could be after the (theoretical) fall of the combine, assuming the resistance overcame their forces. of course, we dont know if thats what will happen.

Either chell walked into a nice rebuilt society run by the resistance, or she walked in to the conflict between the combine and the resistance.

Those are just theories... She could have been in suspension for 90 days or for 999999999999999999 days. The voice broke, obviously and it looped.

Camooninja
05-08-2011, 05:35 AM
Portal 2 hasnt even been out a month. Try enjoying the game for a while, then rant at VALVe for a third game.

Ackman
05-08-2011, 05:43 AM
I'd expect them to edit the ending video just like they did with Portal and make it so the "sky" breaks into pieces and falls and you see you are inside a test chamber, just like the truman show. That would be so freaking awesome.

source-maps
05-08-2011, 05:53 AM
I'd expect them to edit the ending video just like they did with Portal and make it so the "sky" breaks into pieces and falls and you see you are inside a test chamber, just like the truman show. That would be so freaking awesome.

this is what I expect, based on those few images floating around on the web

pfh01988
05-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Chell is not seeing the combine, or ♥♥♥♥ing Gordon. SHE IS AT LEAST A CENTURY IN THE FUTURE PEOPLE, VALVE HAS SAID IT MORE THAN ONCE, EVEN IN "The Final Hours of Portal2"!

Skuu
05-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Rattman is dead...

Is the muttering in the den supposed to be a ghost then? Seems more likely that he's alive in some way...:eek:

Ethan_Macmanus
05-08-2011, 08:04 AM
but the whole game glados will be trying to kill you(she doesnt need humans any more and would probably be hostile to them because they make her life less simple.)

Wrong. go play Co-Op. Educate yourself.

What I want from Portal 3/DLCs:

MORE CAVE JOHNSON.

Xpectro
05-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Chell is not seeing the combine, or ♥♥♥♥ing Gordon. SHE IS AT LEAST A CENTURY IN THE FUTURE PEOPLE, VALVE HAS SAID IT MORE THAN ONCE, EVEN IN "The Final Hours of Portal2"!

Proof? I only can find an article of Game Informer, the same who had wrong timelines in the past.