PDA

View Full Version : Demo graphics and sound issues

jb0nez
05-11-2011, 12:29 AM
I just downloaded the demo of both Arma 2 and OA. I tried OA demo first, and loved it. Graphics look gorgeous, gameplay is fun, looking forward to buying the game and learning how to play. Then I tried Arma2 demo, and it doesn't look or play nearly as well as OA. In particular, the graphics all look muddy and washed out,like the palette they used was a few shades of green, brown, and gray. I've mucked with the graphics settings and postprocessing, and nothing helps, it still looks dull. The textures are sharp, the models look fine, it's just it overall looks crappy compared to OA.

Also the sound, it pops in and out, is horribly staticky, the vehicle engines get super loud then super quiet -- I had to turn off my volume it was so bad.

If I buy combined ops, will it be plagued with the same issues or will it look and play like OA, even when playing the older Arma2 campaign?

Dwarden
05-12-2011, 02:50 PM
demos are outdated and not represent actual state of patched game

maturin
05-12-2011, 03:24 PM
It will look and play like OA.

Obviously Chernarus has its own models and textures and therefore color pallet, but it will be loaded into the OA engine and none of those issues should occur.

The Chernarus map and lighting engine is very un-stylized, so even though the autumn trees and houses are very colorful, it can look dull in many conditions. Turning down the gamma can help.

jb0nez
05-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Yeah I bought combined ops, and running it takes care of all the sound issues. Though I am using SRS HD Audio Lab, and if I play music in the background while playing Arma2, the sound gets glitchy again. But this is not an Arma2 problem, this is a HAL problem.

As far as the graphics, you're right that the colors themselves do not really change. Like the intro animation for Arma2, the one where it zooms over an aircraft carrier, even when it plays it in the OA engine (started with CO) the colors are drab -- EVERYthing is shade of gray. Not even a hint of blue sky! I did discover already that tweaking the gama hels, just a little bit. Oh well, as long as I know it's supposed to be like this, it's all good.

Actually there is one more weird graphics glitch. Any submenus from the start menu look odd. The box that surrounds the menu looks fine for the first level menu, but when I go into Options or Campaign or Expansions, the box around the menu choices seems to double into two boxes that are slightly offset of each other and overlapping. The text is fine though. This is just cosmetic and doesn't affect anything else that I've noticed so no big deal.

maturin
05-13-2011, 12:32 PM
There is a thing called TrueUser mods. There are several small modular tweaks and one of them makes the sly bluer.