PDA

View Full Version : "It's been a long time...."

HD1215
05-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Players who bought Portal 2 on PS3 still can't download the game for PC. When PSN was down for a few days it was one thing - but days have turned to weeks and Sony won't confirm any return date - it's FUBAR.

Frankly, I longer trust Sony and don't want my Steam and PS3 accounts linked - nor is it reasonable to force players to do so (and wait on top of it).

Portal 2 PS3 has a serial number inside - so why not let players activate the game?

serieus1
05-11-2011, 08:08 AM
I understand your frustration, but I doubt that the contract signed between Sony and Valve would allow for such a thing. First that means Valve has sold twice as many games while still making the same profits as if they had sold one game, that's not good. This is because if they allow you to activate Portal 2 on your Steam account for PC then you never linked it to your PS3,which means that you can sell off any of the above copies, as long as they weren't registered. Also, Portal 2 was supposed to make money for Playstation as well. The only reason they allowed Steam on its network is because they saw advantages to having Steam. Therefore allowing someone to bypass the PS3 services would be another breach of contract.

Like I said I feel your pain, it sucks, but the only thing you can do is wait. It's really not all that bad. It would be like if you paid for satellite TV and suddenly the satellite crashed back to Earth. Your life would not be in danger, you'd just have to find a different form of entertainment until the problem is resolved. I have a feeling that Sony will be compensating people for their losses. Whether it's a free game or two or credits towards their PSN store who knows.

Patience is a definitely a virtue on this occasion.

KK_reborn
05-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Just wait it out, Valve can't do anything. The Steam/PS3 account linkage is required and it won't happen until the PSN is back up and running.

And don't worry, you can trust Sony to take care of you. Don't let hackers ruin that trust.

captain_video
05-11-2011, 09:21 AM
And don't worry, you can trust Sony to take care of you. Don't let hackers ruin that trust.

Except that it could turn out not to have been a hack at all, but rather an "inside job" following the major layoffs at SOE which happened at the end of March. If the delay is due to outside security experts having to sniff out one or more illicit back doors programmed into their server management, it could be several more weeks before they're back up. It isn't hackers who have ruined the trust, it's record-setting levels of incompetence on Sony's part.

MADDOGGE
05-11-2011, 09:35 AM
It's bad. It's kind of like Sony's own personal software RRoD. It will be a long time before people to forgive much less forget and the longer it takes the worst it will be. Still look at it from their stand point. They know this. They want everything back up and running as fast as is SAFELY possible.

The latest date I've heard was the end of May to be back on line. This was so bad I think they had to rewright from scratch a lot of code.

Forsythia
05-11-2011, 11:06 AM
I don't get the whining about this. You can still play your PS3 copy of Portal 2 on your PS3, right? Yeah it sucks that you can't link right now, but you can play the game you bought.

MADDOGGE
05-11-2011, 11:15 AM
I don't get the whining about this. You can still play your PS3 copy of Portal 2 on your PS3, right? Yeah it sucks that you can't link right now, but you can play the game you bought.Thats true but it's not just about Portal 2. For those that like playing MP games there are none until this is fixed. Imagine Steam going down for a month or more so you couldn't play any MP games. The rage would be extreme. This is what the PS3 MP player feels. Thank God I rarely bother with MP at all.

KK_reborn
05-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Except that it could turn out not to have been a hack at all, but rather an "inside job" following the major layoffs at SOE which happened at the end of March.You forgot to put on your tinfoil hat before writing. There's no reason a company would put themselves in a billion dollar debt on purpose. And don't worry, the servers were cloned so forensic experts could use the clones to find the enemies and Sony could rebuild their own.

captain_video
05-11-2011, 02:14 PM
You forgot to put on your tinfoil hat before writing. There's no reason a company would put themselves in a billion dollar debt on purpose. And don't worry, the servers were cloned so forensic experts could use the clones to find the enemies and Sony could rebuild their own.

Epic failed troll. Billion dollar debt? *LOL* The significant financial damage to Sony will be from the loss of good will, but we're talking maybe a few million at most, not billion. Their MMO business, which is on very shaky ground already, will take an incremental hit. And they may be in some legal trouble with Wizards of the Coast for what they've done to Magic: Tactics.

If it was simply a matter of cloning and rebuilding their account management servers, they'd be back up already.