PDA

View Full Version : After five hours of gameplay...

Melanism
05-12-2011, 01:34 AM
I have decided that this game sucks.
Lag issues with the water are horrible.
Trying to fire while swimming is pointless, even though I've already come to three parts where it is required, you can't hit ♥♥♥♥ unless you dive underwater and wait thirty seconds until the camera decides to stop dancing about.
Enemies can breathe underwater indefinitely? Seriously?
The water just seems to choose what height it wants to be at random. I could be doing nothing but checking security cameras when suddenly it decides to rise 30 feet and then drop back down again.
The mouse is way too sensitive for precision aiming, which this game already sucks at. I tried turning the sensitivity all the way down in options and still had problems with it swinging the camera around too fast or responding too quickly when I'm trying to run somewhere.
I haven't even gotten to the part where I get these supposed "water powers" and I can already guess how much they are going to suck.
I spend half of my time playing just trying to figure out what button to press for drop down! The screen says C but magically I find out it's actually Q!
Then the hacking. I don't know about most people, but I don't like to be babied. So, when I fail a hacking attempt and go back to retry, I don't want one of the levels removed! It insults me. Like the game is saying, "aww, was that too hard? Here, I'll make it easier" Then five seconds later I turn the corner and there are 5 enemies pointing their guns right at me.
I don't think I'll bother playing any more of this game, as I've already wasted enough time hoping that the game eventually became enjoyable.

Uryel
05-12-2011, 02:21 AM
Lag issues with the water are horrible.

I don't have such problems, and I'm far from having a top-of-the-notch gaming rig. Not bad, but certainly not the best. Seems to randomly affect people, even those with uber computers, though.

Enemies can breathe underwater indefinitely? Seriously?

Not all of them. "Land" enemies (if that means anything in a game like that) can be knocked unconscious with a sonic blast and WILL drown if they fall in water.

However, swimming enemies seem to have some kind of rebreather and can indeed stay underwater for what seems to be forever. Can't tell if it really is forever though, I usually kill them pretty fast. Or they do, sometimes :)

The water just seems to choose what height it wants to be at random. I could be doing nothing but checking security cameras when suddenly it decides to rise 30 feet and then drop back down again.

This game is very physics-based, and you're aboard a giant, sinking ship. The natural movements of a ship would already cause some movement in the water mass, but explosions, sinking and all will increase it for sure.

Add the fact that water seems to move realisticly when you open a door and it flows in an empty (or emptier) room, and you're bound to have some tidal effect from time to time.

You might not like it, sure, but I, for one, find this to be one of the best gameplay aspects of the game. I mean, come on, how many games do you know that will swipe you of youre feet with a tidal wave when you're opening a door and trying to shoot some bad guy ?

The mouse is way too sensitive for precision aiming

Haven't had this problem either. I have a VERY sensitive mouse, and I even increased the sensibility (compared to game's default that is), and I'm doing pretty fine. I've never been a sharpshooter in any game, so I'm not the bet shot ever, but this game doesn't make it any worse than any other, as far as I can tell.

I spend half of my time playing just trying to figure out what button to press for drop down! The screen says C but magically I find out it's actually Q!

That, however, I have to agree with. Game seems to use only the default keys to tell you what does what, even if you remaped the keys.

Even worse, if you're not using an english-typed keyboard you'd better know its layout by heart, because the game will refer to the position of the key on a QWERTY keyboard. I'm using an AZERTY keyboard, so to drop down, I need to press A, which WOULD BE the "Q" key on a qwerty keyboard...

Then the hacking. I don't know about most people, but I don't like to be babied. So, when I fail a hacking attempt and go back to retry, I don't want one of the levels removed! It insults me.

Can't tell if it would bother me or not, I have never failed a hack so far.

Seriously, the only problems I have with that game are the WAY excessive bloom, and the fact I have to remove an otherwise perfectly stable GPU overclock if I want to play without visual artefacts.

Since I have no framerate issues, the overclock isn't needed anyway, so I don't care, it's just a litte annoying to switch it off for this game and on for everything else.

Anyway, it's your call, mate, I juste wanted to let people who might read your post and decide that the game isn't worth 10 bucks that they might want to reconsider :)

I-no
05-12-2011, 05:14 AM
Yeah I wouldn't complain at this low price, having bought it 'blind' and because of some vague recommendation, but if you're not sure if you actually want this, I would say, rather no, since the controls are quite terri-bad, but to be fair, not really much more terrible than virtually any other console port on PC. Apart from that, the water mechanics really aren't great, even when you take everything into consideration what the previous poster so rightfully pointed out.
The lag issue though.. turning off anti-aliasing AND V-sync makes the game run smoothly enough.. I guess the engine is just a clunky and unwieldy beast in itself, while not even seeming as capable as other ones that run better.
On the other hand I found myself wishing time and times again that I could just turn off the combat and shooty enemies, the fighting mechanics are just ungodly half-assed, and not even necessary at all.
If you're not captivated by the plain visuals from screenshots or trailer movies, I'd suggest to give this one a wide berth, because that's all I really got out of it. Story and characters are forgettable and flat, although the water powers, limited as they are, a neat novelty, of course.
Better luck next time, eh? :D

cherokee67
05-12-2011, 05:38 AM
HMM; just can say I don' t had any problems yet. Hydroengine is fine and I like it. Mouse sensitivity is great and you can change it in the options. No lags. Hacking runs fine to me and so far I had no need for repeats. Also I had no problems with the camera or during fighting sequences. Sry for you that you have problems but as the poster said above. It's just 10 bucks and for this you get a nice game all in all I would say. As I said above: All my friends who buyed the game and myself do love the game and we hope for a second part.

MADDOGGE
05-12-2011, 07:36 AM
I have decided that this game sucks.You are entitled to your opition

Lag issues with the water are horrible.They are aware that some has this issues and are working on it.

Trying to fire while swimming is pointless, even though I've already come to three parts where it is required, you can't hit ♥♥♥♥ unless you dive underwater and wait thirty seconds until the camera decides to stop dancing about.I never had a situation where I needed to swim & shoot at the same time.:confused: Stop swimming aim and shoot, continue swimming. Sometimes in the hall ways it's best to swim past enemies to an air pocket and then take them out.

Enemies can breathe underwater indefinitely? Seriously?Only those with th rebreathers . They have a green glow about their face.

The water just seems to choose what height it wants to be at random. I could be doing nothing but checking security cameras when suddenly it decides to rise 30 feet and then drop back down again.You are on a sinking ship that is being tossed about on the ocean. The very water mechanism you are complaining about is central to the game. It's all about the water and how it effects everything.

The mouse is way too sensitive for precision aiming, which this game already sucks at. I tried turning the sensitivity all the way down in options and still had problems with it swinging the camera around too fast or responding too quickly when I'm trying to run somewhere.It's that way for some and not for others.

I haven't even gotten to the part where I get these supposed "water powers" and I can already guess how much they are going to suck.Oh I agree you are going to hate it given you feeling s for the rest of the game.

I spend half of my time playing just trying to figure out what button to press for drop down! The screen says C but magically I find out it's actually Q! Thats what your menu keymapping is for to see if you have gone crazy or if they have the wrong keys displaying. They are aware of the problem and are working on fixing it. "x" and "c" definitely don't work as advertised.:confused:

Then the hacking. I don't know about most people, but I don't like to be babied. So, when I fail a hacking attempt and go back to retry, I don't want one of the levels removed! It insults me. Like the game is saying, "aww, was that too hard? Here, I'll make it easier" Then five seconds later I turn the corner and there are 5 enemies pointing their guns right at me.Not having this issue. Hacking in this game using the mouse is so organic it really fun.:) This is most definitely not your style of game. Stick to more traditional shooters from now on for your own piece of mind.

I don't think I'll bother playing any more of this game, as I've already wasted enough time hoping that the game eventually became enjoyable.Your choice.:(

enemyofportal
05-12-2011, 09:51 AM
I think that game is fine. but water effect seems to eat gaming performance too much. so only way is that you need to get lower video setting. I don't care eye candy whatever. this game is not that good for graphic quality anyway. I tried to set everything low on video (except screen resolution), then everything is very good.

DarkEnergy
05-12-2011, 10:08 AM
I think that game is fine. but water effect seems to eat gaming performance too much. so only way is that you need to get lower video setting. I don't care eye candy whatever. this game is not that good for graphic quality anyway. I tried to set everything low on video (except screen resolution), then everything is very good.

We are working on optimising the water performance, and some improvement are incoming in the next two patches. The first will go live within the next few hours, details here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1885499

netnerd85
05-12-2011, 10:51 AM
We are working on optimising the water performance, and some improvement are incoming in the next two patches. The first will go live within the next few hours, details here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1885499

As a programmer I know there are downsides to farting out patches left, right and center... why don't you? TEST, TEST, TEST! :p

Calm down, get it right then release.

Uryel
05-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Agreed. As much as we (Well I'm assuming I'm not alone here) appreciate your continued support to fix the bugs and all, if it needs a few days to be done, then so be it.

As much as I enjoy it, it's only a game among others, I'm pretty sure I can keep myself occupied with something else for a few days if some patch really needs some testing.

Now, if you guys at Dark Energy are so über you can actually get it done rightfully in no time... Who am I to complain ? :)

Jaheebus
05-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Why do people think the game sucks because they don't like it?

loads of people LOVE Final fantasy, I don't... But it doesn't mean the game SUCKS. I love the cut-scenes in it, but the gameplay is plain boring. Not a game for me.

Instead of just posting points about why you THINK the game sucks, just say it's not your type of game.

The best part of PC gaming is being able to have sensitivity maxed and it making a difference. I max sensitivity on Xbox/PS3 and it's still slow as hell.

Water physics are the best I've seen in a game, it randomly getting deeper or shallow doesn't bother me. I sometimes just stand there and watch a wave smash me in the face... It's part of the fun.

MADDOGGE
05-12-2011, 01:46 PM
As a programmer I know there are downsides to farting out patches left, right and center... why don't you? TEST, TEST, TEST! :p

Calm down, get it right then release.I agree with this. I appreciate the support and of course the simple stuff can be patches quickly but with the other things a little slower might be better. Also I wouldn't let the complains about story and other stuff drag you off sides. Thats all fluff, if you want to change things up later after the bug fixes thats fine but for now just take your time and get you patches correct.

DarkEnergy
05-12-2011, 02:01 PM
I agree with this. I appreciate the support and of course the simple stuff can be patches quickly but with the other things a little slower might be better. Also I wouldn't let the complains about story and other stuff drag you off sides. Thats all fluff, if you want to change things up later after the bug fixes thats fine but for now just take your time and get you patches correct.

Don't worry, we're absolutely taking our time with the patches and doing a thorough job of testing them. Small, isolated, low risk sections of code come through testing faster, while things which require more testing will come in later patches. We have a very flexible and stable system and process. We're absolutely prioritising fixes of course :)

Saijin_Naib
05-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Don't worry, we're absolutely taking our time with the patches and doing a thorough job of testing them. Small, isolated, low risk sections of code come through testing faster, while things which require more testing will come in later patches. We have a very flexible and stable system and process. We're absolutely prioritising fixes of course :)
This. Iterative small fixes IMO are much better. It keeps the nerd-rage at bay preventing things like "Y U NO PATCH YT? I R WEIGHT SO LAWNG!"

enemyofportal
05-12-2011, 02:33 PM
today they seemed to send patch. but I will wait for a while until some issues on my game will be resolved. so from now on, I stop playing it. but I will check it tonight whether it will be solved.

MADDOGGE
05-12-2011, 03:13 PM
This. Iterative small fixes IMO are much better. It keeps the nerd-rage at bay preventing things like "Y U NO PATCH YT? I R WEIGHT SO LAWNG!"LOLOLOL:D:D:D

enemyofportal
05-12-2011, 07:15 PM

that's really quick answer. thank you. I appreciate. I like this game. good.