PDA

View Full Version : Hosting problem

bigbear31
05-18-2011, 09:03 AM
So I've opened two instances of Terraria one for the server and one to join. The server one says running on port (blah blah) so anyways i try to join using my ip and im getting an error saying the host isnt responding quick enough. Something like that, I just wana be able to play with the wife and im not too sure what im doing when trying to host this server. Any info and advice would help alot :)

Tekkor
05-18-2011, 09:05 AM
First question...

Are you using a Router? If so what Brand?

If yes...are you using your INTERNAL ip? Not the external ip from your isp. Getting a LAN game working on this game is actually super easy. Its probably a issue of the ip your using.

I was able to get my 2 sons computers and my own hooked up within 5 minutes so let me know if you need help or have other questions.

bigbear31
05-18-2011, 09:44 AM
yes i do use a router its a netgear im not sure the exact modle i'd have to do some searching for the disk or w/e but yeah i do use a router and how do i check out my external ip? I just whent to some site that tells you your ip and used that one, and its probly the one you said i was using. So what should i do?

Tekkor
05-18-2011, 09:57 AM
You should not need any disk.

Your Router ip is probably 192.168.1.1

When your home type this in on a browser. This should open up to your router settings. If you have never set a password for this it probably doesnt have one. Just click enter past login or consult your manual (or do google search about default login for your router some use like admin for login with no pswd I think).

Once you get to your router settings....there is probably a tab somewhere that you can see the internal ip's your system is currently using. Probably some section labeled DHCP Tables or something similar.

For instance on a Linksys router its under:

Status >> Network >> DHCP Clients Table

This shows computers and devices connected to your network and what ip they are using.

Any devices you use in home...wireless printers, ipods, laptops etc etc all will take an ip. Typically your internal ips will start with 192.168.1.100 and go up...i.e. 101, 102, 103 etc.

So technically....you could start server on your computer then go on the other one and start trying to connect...

etc until you hit the one that your server computer is using on the network. Now of course some routers may use slightly different ip....for instance I think Dlink ones use 192.168.0.101 for instance...so youll have to figure out your default ip poo for your router.

Hope that helps and make sense.

bigbear31
05-18-2011, 10:34 AM
thanks but the ip thing you said would bring up my router didnt work so i guess im just gunna look up what netgear router i actually have so see if i can find out how to access it, its been so long since i've had to do anything with it.

Kiir
05-18-2011, 10:46 AM
So technically....you could start server on your computer then go on the other one and start trying to connect...

You can also run command prompt and ipconfig to find out which IP it is exactly =P

bigbear31
05-18-2011, 11:13 AM
awesome thanks yeah it was easy just using the command propt lol and i thought of using it before i guess i was just checking for a sure way of getting the ip i need.

soviet_sharkey
05-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Are there any plans from the devs to make hosting easier