PDA

View Full Version : Won't even launch?

Larry1212
05-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Just bought the game after feeding into all the positive feedback from players praising the game but the game won't even launch for me.

I'm on Win7 64bit,
4Gigs DDR3 RAM,
AMD 5770 GPU,
i5-750 CPU.

Any help would be appreciated!

That Lamer
05-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Vista 64bit
4gb ram
ATI 4850
amd phenom 9950

Same problem. It appears there is an additional installer beyond downloading off steam, however it seems to just hang in memory.

Larry1212
05-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Well, this is ridiculous.

I've reinstalled Netframe 4.0 and installed everything from the Terraria directory and still it won't start up. No splash screen, nothing.

deezus
05-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Bummer. Is Steam running when you launch the game? Or are you just using the terraria.exe?

Larry1212
05-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Of course.

deezus
05-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Of course.

Reason I asked is that it behaves the same way when launching it without Steam running. Nothing happens.

hassifa
05-18-2011, 12:21 PM
If you can, try this.

From the add/remove programs in windows, remove the .net4 extended + client profile aswell as the XNA 4.0 redistributable. Restart the computer and then run terraria and let the install script install both the .net 4 and the XNA 4.0 redistributable.

I was having the same problems with the game not running or anything, and after i tried this, it has been working fine.

Larry1212
05-18-2011, 01:03 PM
If you can, try this.

From the add/remove programs in windows, remove the .net4 extended + client profile aswell as the XNA 4.0 redistributable. Restart the computer and then run terraria and let the install script install both the .net 4 and the XNA 4.0 redistributable.

I was having the same problems with the game not running or anything, and after i tried this, it has been working fine.

Tried that, didn't work.

I'm going to wait till tomorrow and see if there's any patch. If not i'm going to request a refund. The game should work, my PC is fine and it's not a problem limited to just my computer. I don't even get an error or splash screen, nothing!

It only downloaded 15.1MB.

deezus
05-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Tried that, didn't work.

I'm going to wait till tomorrow and see if there's any patch. If not i'm going to request a refund. The game should work, my PC is fine and it's not a problem limited to just my computer. I don't even get an error or splash screen, nothing!

It only downloaded 15.1MB.

Yes you are one of the few who are having issues running it. The game is only like 8MB, the rest is the .NET and XNA.

Cedwick
05-18-2011, 01:27 PM
I know some indie games have trouble with USB sound devices, if you have any - unplug them.

CRUSHCANNON
05-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Do you get the "No suitable graphics card found" error message? If so, I have the same exact problem. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Microsoft .NET Framework several times, and I still have this problem. I know it's not my video card, and all my drivers are up-to-date. I've even done a system restore to before the game installed .NET Framework on my computer. I was thinking of reformatting my computer but that would be such a huge hassle. Tell me if you find a solution. I really want to play this game :\

EDIT: Well guys, I probably will end up reformatting it later today. I'll tell you if I still have the problem.

EDIT 2: *Sigh* I reinstalled Windows and all of my drivers and the problem still persists. I hope the developers are able to address this somehow because I have no idea what to do. Keep in mind, I have no problem running my other games, many of which have higher systems requirements.

Larry1212
05-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Nope, I don't get any error. Nothing. There's no splash screen, no error message absolutely nothing to tell me what's going on.

Stopple
05-19-2011, 07:30 AM
having the same issue as OP

muddpuddle
05-19-2011, 03:47 PM
I've been playing the game. Nothing has changed. Suddenly this afternoon I'm getting the "No Suitable Graphics Card Found" message. Hmmm...

Eaglefighter
05-19-2011, 11:10 PM
what worked for me was going to program files-steam-steamapps-common-terraria and then install xnafx thing manually

Mook Noff
05-19-2011, 11:16 PM
what worked for me was going to program files-steam-steamapps-common-terraria and then install xnafx thing manually

I tried that and got an "Error 2098" message, which led me to yet another dead end problem.

JoxerNL
05-20-2011, 12:40 AM
I tried that and got an "Error 2098" message, which led me to yet another dead end problem.

same here, doesnt start up, and when i tried to start it by using exe told me i didn't have the right updates...
Tried both files in the directory, the framework was installed, but the XNA gave me that 2098 error.

oso_malo
05-20-2011, 04:20 AM
If you can, try this.

Did this and worked :D

Thanks Hassifa!

Didanix
05-20-2011, 05:49 AM
Sharing my 2 cents:

I've got USB speakers and a USB headset and I'm running Win7 (32-bit). If I have the USB headset set as the default communication device (mic) and the speakers as the default device, Terraria crashes just like with everyone else.
If however I move both default devices to either one device, Terraria works like a charm.

I've had this happen with Magicka aswell, so it's definitely an XNA issue.

EDIT: Actually, Terrania seems to be selecting the first audio device available, so the first device in your audio device settings will work, anything else wont, atleast in my case.

NOTE TO DEVS: If you're selecting the first available audio device in XNA, just switch over to getting the currently used audio device in Windows, shouldn't be too hard.

JoxerNL
05-20-2011, 05:53 AM
I just fixed it after...
Installing the frameworks, reboot computer, install XNA. (can do this from Terraria folder)
Now works fine for me, hope this helps some of you out there.

Larry1212
05-20-2011, 07:50 PM
It's not XNA as everything else seems to be fine. If what Didanix says about XNA being in Magicka is true then XNA is most likely not the problem for me as Magicka works fine for me and I have never had a single problem with it.

Patacorow
05-21-2011, 05:38 AM
I want a fix for this.

victim130
05-27-2011, 05:17 PM
My framework will not let me install XNA's framework stuff so I can't play. I think it's caused by programs not noticing .net framework.

WarMonkey0
06-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Here is a Solution that worked (also worked for Magika):

I'm using a SoundBlaster card, not sure if other sound cards have the same problem.
- Go to Control Panel
- Sound
- Dobleclick your current "speakers"
- SoundBlaster tab
- Check the "Disable Sound Blaster enhancements" box
- Done!

Important: My mp3's don't work with that disabled, so I have to switch back when I'm done playing. Pretty annoying, but I don't have a solution for that right now.

wh0?
06-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Having the same issue (I even started a thread for it), tried everything described here... Nothing, zero.

Doing this on a fresh formated computer, like said before...

Is it possible to get a refund, i'm pretty much hopeless and tired of doing all of these so called fixes...

rtime29
06-01-2011, 07:48 PM
This worked for me...

Right click the volume icon in the Taskbar, select Playback Devices, right click on Digital Audio Device, select Set as Default Device.

Mine was previously set to Speakers as my Default Device, and XNA does not like that.

stevencrotnik
12-12-2011, 08:33 AM
http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/no-suitable-graphics-card-found.3592/page-9#post-1301649

B33 ENN
06-01-2012, 03:16 PM
If you can, try this.

Thanks, I followed this and resolved my case of this issue.

However, after uninstaling the three items (.NET 4 Client, .NET 4 Extended, XNA 4 Redist) and rebooting, Steam's Terraria setup only managed to install the .NET 4 packages and then disappeared like before.

I had to manually run the installer for XNA from the Terraria folder and install it. Then the game worked.