PDA

View Full Version : A problem with ambient_generic

David-B-737
05-18-2011, 02:24 PM
I've made an ambient_generic that is set to play a custom sound file (.wav), but whenever I try to play the sound in-game I am getting this error

[Sound] S_StartSound(): Failed to load sound 'vo\ai_i\subtitles_test.wav'. File is missing from disk/repository.

I have checked several times that the file is in the correct place, and it even plays in the hammer sound browser.

Thanks in advance,
David.

paulchuckle
05-18-2011, 03:24 PM
I had the same problem. The sound worked in hammer but not in-game.

I found that embedding the .wav file in the .BSP itself worked fine, I haven't tried this since the main Beta SDK came out but its worked for other games in the past too, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

You can embed the file with a few programs, but I found PakRat the most useful for Portal 2 as it stands:-

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Pakrat

In the software, you add the wave file (works for textures and models too) and it'll will ask if you want to keep the same folder structure, say yes, then save the BSP.

Let me know if it still works or not, or if you have any questions.

P.S. the auto-detection for what files the .bsp uses, probably wont work so you'll have to add them manually, as the program is old and looks for different file structures than are used for the modern games.

seanmitchell
05-18-2011, 07:11 PM
I had the same problem. The sound worked in hammer but not in-game.

I found that embedding the .wav file in the .BSP itself worked fine, I haven't tried this since the main Beta SDK came out but its worked for other games in the past too, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

You can embed the file with a few programs, but I found PakRat the most useful for Portal 2 as it stands:-

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Pakrat

In the software, you add the wave file (works for textures and models too) and it'll will ask if you want to keep the same folder structure, say yes, then save the BSP.

Let me know if it still works or not, or if you have any questions.

P.S. the auto-detection for what files the .bsp uses, probably wont work so you'll have to add them manually, as the program is old and looks for different file structures than are used for the modern games.

I had the EXACT same problem and i made an account today just to ask this very question. In response, YES your fix with pakrat does in fact work! thanks!

myCull
08-26-2012, 01:59 AM
Thanks, I had this problem, googled it, came here, solved.

lmao4ever
08-26-2012, 06:10 AM
Guys, there's a much simpler console command solution:

snd_updateaudiocache

myCull
08-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the tip! Does this embed the sound into the BSP? So if I send the BSP to someone else, will they need to run this command?

lmao4ever
08-26-2012, 12:40 PM
no it doesn't

IceSage
08-26-2012, 01:02 PM
snd_updateaudiocache lets you hear the sound in-game. However, the file has to be included into the BSP via something like PakRat in order for other people to hear it.