PDA

View Full Version : Capy Paste - Installation

yeesnaw
05-20-2011, 03:15 AM
I got a friend to download the game for me as i've only got 50gb per month. the folder size he gave me is 11.1 gb i think but when i copy the fable III on the portable drive over to my computer's steamapps>common and try to play or even verify the integrity of the game cache it insists on downloading everything. EVERYTHING all over again, it's as if the 11gb that i put into the folder doesn't even exist and nothing is actually changing in the folder.

He also gave me borderlands, i put that in and when i went to verify the integrity it came out with a perfect result. Have i done something wrong?

Someoneismad
05-20-2011, 03:38 AM
Make sure it's in the exact same place as his installation was. Also, when I've done this before it'll SAY it's downloading but it'll "download" at a very fast pace as it slowly checks through all the files.

Codex0
05-20-2011, 03:39 AM
let the download run, it doesn't actually dl it all. It will skip over most of the files. I had this happen when I got bc2 on steam, moved my retail files across and it wanted to dl it all. I let the dl run and it only used 100mb instead of the 8gig it said

yeesnaw
05-20-2011, 03:44 AM
no, i kid you not, it's got 5 hours left to run, my DLs is clocking up and my firewall software is reporting that inward traffic is comming in through steam at the same speed as the download rate on steam, both equal about 500kb/s.

It actually is downloading EVERYTHING.

yeesnaw
05-20-2011, 03:46 AM
yeah, already burnt through 2gb or so just waiting on it suspecting the same as you but my bandwidth reports are saying the same, it is actually downloading and disregarding all current data.

Someoneismad
05-20-2011, 03:52 AM
Only thing could be that you've not placed it in the right directories. D:

yeesnaw
05-20-2011, 03:53 AM
C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\fable 3

Like i said, i did it with borderlands which worked perfectly.

Someoneismad
05-20-2011, 03:57 AM
Did you get the files from outside that directory? There are sometimes data files/smaller files that hide outside that you need.

yeesnaw
05-20-2011, 04:02 AM
yeah, the nfc which requires me to download the game from pirates just to get it unless somebody wants to upload it and pm a link or something but thats the other thing i need but i'm not sure if thats the cause.

yeesnaw
05-20-2011, 04:47 AM
well, even with the .nfc still isn't working. what's stupid about it is if i start downloading 500mb, save the data in another spot, then reinstall fable so i start at square one and then place the previously saved data, it still won't recognize it.

oliathsg
05-20-2011, 05:03 AM
Hi.
I did the exact same thing.
To get it to work I had to delete clientregistry.blob first.

My steps were this.
1 - Start steam download
2 - Pause steam download (it has now created the fable3 folder its self)
3 - Quit steam
4 - Copy friends version of the game in to fable3 folder
5 - delete clientregistry.blob
6 - launch steam (fable3 is still paused)
7 - Verify game cache
8 - Play

This worked for me. Hope it works for you.

yeesnaw
05-20-2011, 05:47 AM
up to step 6 at the momment, gimme a second.

It does look promising though, i didn't delete the clientreg.blob and i didn't quite steam before copying.

yeesnaw
05-20-2011, 06:05 AM
ok, i've renamed my fable 3 folder deleted my current installation via steam.
Shut down Steam completely
renamed my friend's folder (11.1gb) to "fable 3"
Deleted clientreg.blob
Launched steam, let it doing it's update whatzit... (not sure why it takes so long, but that's off topic)
Finally downloaded the new clientreg.blob clicked play for fable and it hasn't worked.

Still downloading the whole thing all over again. :(