PDA

View Full Version : Detour - Worth the buy?

xboxer
05-20-2011, 10:03 AM
What is it about? Something like Defense Grid and Sol Survivor?

I'm on the fence with this game. Not sure if I should spend $8.99 on it.

TimppaPro
05-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Don't get me wrong, the game, itself, is good.

However, right now the multiplayer is almost unplayable, has mainly 0-1 servers and the truck drivers seem to be drunk. (They seem to go through lakes and grass areas instead of my roads). The singleplayer challanges are pretty short (2-3 hours maybe), it crashes randomly and the game is MEANT to be played in multiplayer anyways.

If I were you, I would wait until these bugs are fixed and buy it after that (the patch should be coming shortly). Of course, you can try to hunt for a free activation code. I happened to be lucky enough to get one.

SNDZag1
05-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Got your crash TimppaPro, looking into it. It's somewhat rare and hard to reproduce, but it does happen and needs to get fixed.

Servers are player hosted, so if you want more, host more lobbies.

We're fixing bugs very rapidly (have been since release) and the network sync issues are very high on our list. Hope you pick up a copy, it's quite fun. (Or so we hear!)

Arcitecht
05-20-2011, 10:06 PM
I have successfully played MP, mostly ran great, and its loads of fun (truckloads, even >.>) You just have to be a little patient to get into lobbies.

gnoj
05-20-2011, 11:42 PM
Yes, I would recomment this game too. You just have to host a lobby and some people will join, or send invites to players in offical group:D.

xboxer
05-21-2011, 03:05 AM
The SP is only 2 or 3 hours? Well, I'm thinking hard already.

SNDZag1
05-21-2011, 03:20 AM
The SP is only 2 or 3 hours? Well, I'm thinking hard already.
It's certainly not some long, triple A epic tale of fun and adventure, but I can safely say it's got epic fun and adventure. We really want to emphasize that the main focus was just on making it fun, particularly multiplayer, and the singleplayer is both there to give some story, as well as simply entertain and challenge the player. (And prepare them for multiplayer)

Later players can unlock some sweet truck themes (for multiplayer use) by playing singleplayer when we roll out achievements. (Hopefully soon)

xboxer
05-22-2011, 07:28 AM
Ok, I was looking for some good SP.

I guess I will wait for a sale or snag one in a give away.

Thanks!

QuantumTech
05-22-2011, 08:20 AM
You should only buy this game AFTER the developers put in all the features they advertise on the store page:

achievements
truck themes
Steam Cloud support
bug fixes

= perhaps "in a week or two" (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1892459) ;)

xboxer
05-22-2011, 09:26 AM
You should only buy this game AFTER the developers put in all the features they advertise on the store page:

achievements
truck themes
Steam Cloud support
bug fixes

= perhaps "in a week or two" (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1892459) ;)

Seems like alot of work.

By that time that happens it will probably be on sale for $5 and that is when I will buy it. :)

SNDZag1
05-22-2011, 09:52 AM

achievements
truck themes
Steam Cloud support
bug fixes

We'll get Steam Cloud and Leaderboards from that page ASAP, they're not even supposed to be there.

It won't be on sale for $5 any time soon.

zenpunk
07-01-2011, 08:58 AM
It won't be on sale for $5 any time soon.
o rly? ;)

SNDZag1
07-02-2011, 02:43 AM
:) Oops.

(Ok, to be fair, we didn't know about the Steam Summer Sale until about a week ago! It was true then!) :D

Kilzet
07-16-2011, 05:03 AM
Personally, no. It's really buggy, and it doesn't run so well on most machines. If I were you I'd check back in a month or 2 to see if it's any good then.

SNDZag1
08-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Personally, no. It's really buggy, and it doesn't run so well on most machines. If I were you I'd check back in a month or 2 to see if it's any good then.
Could you elaborate on "really buggy" and not make blanket statements like that? We're not aware of any outstanding bugs that would break the intended gameplay experience.

graspee
01-27-2012, 02:53 PM
:) Oops.

(Ok, to be fair, we didn't know about the Steam Summer Sale until about a week ago! It was true then!) :D

I'm intrigued by this comment. I always thought that the developer set the price and any reductions in sales, but from what you wrote it looks like valve reduced the price on your game for the sale without your knowledge- is this the case?

I wouldn't normally bother asking, but I thought you might be in the forums looking at posts because of the daily deal today. Did you know about that? :)

edit: re-read what I quoted and maybe I was wrong and you did set the sale price but you weren't told about the sale and asked about the price until after you'd said it wouldn't be discounted.

Zaragorne
01-27-2012, 04:10 PM
I like the game, I've played multiplayer quite a bit actually.

ordWeist
01-28-2012, 12:36 AM
If you read this, thinking about boying, dont do this. Bugs makes gameplay horrible, game that dont works, don't worth even 2 $ on discount.

Jarman74
01-28-2012, 02:01 AM
If you read this, thinking about boying, dont do this. Bugs makes gameplay horrible, game that dont works, don't worth even 2 $ on discount.

The dev said:
Could you elaborate on "really buggy" and not make blanket statements like that? We're not aware of any outstanding bugs that would break the intended gameplay experience.
They put a lot of hard work into it, so it would be fair and nice if you could detail the issues you went through ;)

rocketsurgeon66
01-28-2012, 05:54 AM
The dev said:

They put a lot of hard work into it, so it would be fair and nice if you could detail the issues you went through ;)

Can't argue with "nice", but I don't think paying customers of a product are under any obligation to throw good time after bad, so I disagree with "fair".

If you hope to accomplish something more than just venting anger/rfustration/disappointment, such as having your issues addressed, then providing good and detailed feedback on the issues is important. :)