PDA

View Full Version : Steam MUST have feature for next update

duckcs
05-20-2011, 10:17 PM
I own a steam account for some time, and there's something that really annoys me all this time...

I'm downloading a game...

When I open a game, download stops... Sometimes, that sucks.

It must have an feature at settings-> downloads like a check box "Suspend downloads while running steam games"

That's a must have feature that would spare quite some headache and it's really easy to do

Thanks for your attemption :)

DeadAsh745
05-20-2011, 10:36 PM
I partially agree with you...but there is a good reason for it at least. Let's say you were running a download for Dead Space 2 while playing Dead Space. You would most likely get some horrendous lag while playing and/or your download speed would also probably slow down a lot. It would add a new bit of fear to the game because of your helplessness to fight because of the lag. :) I'd say that it's not an option that needs to be administered yet.

duckcs
05-20-2011, 10:39 PM
I partially agree with you...but there is a good reason for it at least. Let's say you were running a download for Dead Space 2 while playing Dead Space. You would most likely get some horrendous lag while playing and/or your download speed would also probably slow down a lot. It would add a new bit of fear to the game because of your helplessness to fight because of the lag. :) I'd say that it's not an option that needs to be administered yet.

Sure, that's why it wouldn't be mandatory, the default option would be to suspend the download, if sum1 wants to play while downloading, go to options and check teh box

Maybe even a "Do you want to suspend the download while the game is running?" box lol dtk

shiverz
05-20-2011, 10:40 PM
You can always alt tab outta the game and continue your download(s).

duckcs
05-20-2011, 10:45 PM
You can always alt tab outta the game and continue your download(s).

yea I eventually found out that, but that's a glitch u know, and something like Steam can't afford to have to use those

Etherfast
05-21-2011, 03:39 AM
It has already been requested (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1732502), and it refers only to the games in Single Player, since you don't want to distort the multiplayer experience for others just because you're laggy :)

franjrp92
05-21-2011, 03:48 AM
It has already been requested (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1732502), and it refers only to the games in Single Player, since you don't want to distort the multiplayer experience for others just because you're laggy :)

This.

DINOSAUR!!
05-21-2011, 03:50 AM

Since when does downloading a game while playing a singleplayer game create lag?
and since when does playing a singleplayer game tie up bandwidth causing your download to slow?

it doesn't.

stereophonical
05-21-2011, 03:55 AM
Please add this already... I got 4 CPU cores, a SSD and a hight speed Internet connection. I've had these for years, sans the SSD, and even then I could manage a download while playing, even in multiplayer games. Yeah, ALT+TAB works in some games, but I don't want to have to do that since this is a feature in Steam that I do not want, so please just let me deactivate it.

DarthPsymon
05-21-2011, 02:19 PM
I too want greater control over downloads.

Jncocontrol
05-21-2011, 02:47 PM

What about the game that have Both Single player AND multiplayer games?
Or those games that have multiplayer But you only wanna play with bots.

We need this features, We shouldn't have to Alt+tab to start our download while we play, Some game even crash if you alt+tab like Boarderlands. If i'm playing the SP i don't wanna have to alt+tab to start my download.

Gone'Postal
05-21-2011, 02:51 PM
3 fracking settings in the options menu.

Carry on downloading.
Pause downloading.
Prompt me every time.

Nice and easy, job done.

shresht93
05-21-2011, 03:09 PM
3 fracking settings in the options menu.

Carry on downloading.
Pause downloading.
Prompt me every time.

Nice and easy, job done.

QFT.

10chars

Hivomnomnom
05-22-2011, 09:44 AM
I'd like it.