PDA

View Full Version : Extreme crowds

Kitten! <3
05-21-2011, 05:07 PM
When playing in sandbox mode, after a couple of minutes in (having built bus stations and a couple of short lines branching out in the city) I've got ~60-70 people at each bus stop which, obviously, is a bit too much to handle even with insane amounts of buses.

What am I doing wrong? Is this normal?

I just bought the game and the two bundled DLC's today and am absoulutely loving the game - just wishin' this "issue" would be resolved, haha.

Oh, and, happy doomsday to everyone.

Brinkman
05-22-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm in the berlin scenario and finding this to be a big issue to.

The tutorial doesn't handle when things go wrong and how you should fix it.

Prysewhert(GER)
05-22-2011, 03:29 PM
get the mod (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?520414-MOD-Capacity-x2) which increases vehicle capacity. buses then have 40-80 spots, trams about 100 and trains about 150 to 270. everything else is entirely un-doable in a big city with a lot of customers, imho.

Brinkman
05-22-2011, 03:42 PM
I've been doing much better than my last post.

My biggest advice would be to take a look at the traffic and see if it's with building a stop here.

Also keep the routes small. The bigger the route the more busses and trains you need.

This whole game is a form of art that has to find a balance.

Like I said check the map for traffic, a void bus stops near busy intersections, ans take advantage of wide streets for trains (they do t have to stop for traffic)

ketsugi
05-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Is there a mirror for that mod that doesn't require registering with the Paradox forums? My Steam version of CiM doesn't show a CD key and I can't register my game with Paradox.

vince0018
05-23-2011, 02:54 AM
Good advice, if you don't want to use mods, is to start by building a metro. Take out a fairly large loan. It may help to take out a 5 year loan so you won't have to pay as much per month. Then build a metro of at least 3 stations, covering as many important locations as possible. Later on you can add more stations to your metro and buy more trains. Usually one train per station is sufficient.

The metro should be the heart of your transport network, buses used afterward to bring people from further to your metro.

Good luck.

Cohnman5
05-29-2011, 03:32 PM
[QUOTE=vince0018;22558945]Good advice, if you don't want to use mods, is to start by building a metro. Take out a fairly large loan. It may help to take out a 5 year loan so you won't have to pay as much per month. Then build a metro of at least 3 stations, covering as many important locations as possible. Later on you can add more stations to your metro and buy more trains. Usually one train per station is sufficient.
The metro should be the heart of your transport network, buses used afterward to bring people from further to your metro.

I agree, but I would add trams to "service" your metro stations. They are more efficient and cause less pollution and have cheaper energy costs long term.:D

oktoberklub
07-05-2011, 04:50 PM
The problem with this game is that it isn't a good simulation. A simulation should simulate real life. But in real life there aren't buses with a capacity of 10 passengers and in real life there are intervals for bus, tram & metro lines in order for the vehicles to pick up passengers regularly. Lines in real life don't have 7 stations to work properly, they often have 40+ stations. Furthermore, there is no price elasticity in this game. I can double the fare, but the crowds at the stations aren't getting any smaller. There is so much wrong with this game which is a shame because it really looks good for a simulation and has been the first serious attempt in this genre for many, many years.

Defensivo
07-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Look where you place the Stations Crowed spots with Trams and Metros , normal places Trams and Busses , if you do it bad you can increase private motoring which is bad

Melfice
08-13-2011, 05:53 PM
But in real life there aren't buses with a capacity of 10 passengers

Yes there are, actually.
Over here in the Netherlands, these small buses transport passengers on lines where it simply isn't viable to run 12 or 15 meter buses.

Oftentimes these are only limited services (only one bus every 2 hours, or something).

Your other points are certainly valid, however, though I'd raise a note regarding the length of lines.
This is complete dependant on how many stops are necessary to cover the area. The city-line in my city consists of probably no more than 12 or 15 stops. The rest is covered by the lines going out of the city.

steffywolfe
08-26-2011, 04:21 PM
The problem with this game is that it isn't a good simulation. There is so much wrong with this game which is a shame because it really looks good for a simulation and has been the first serious attempt in this genre for many, many years.

Couldn't agree with you more!

JWallace
08-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Yes there are, actually.
Over here in the Netherlands, these small buses transport passengers on lines where it simply isn't viable to run 12 or 15 meter buses.

Oftentimes these are only limited services (only one bus every 2 hours, or something).

Can you believe that until recently my local transit service provider used buses which ran from a major park and ride, serviced a state college and terminated at a mall, but the vehicles only seated 25 people? Plus, despite the constant overcrowding, the buses were only scheduled to leave every seventy-five minutes. Luckily they were replaced by modern buses with traditional lengths two years ago.

Just wanted to say that small vehicles similar to yours actually do exist here in America but are quickly being phased out. Some of our cities are putting in trolley lines again.