PDA

View Full Version : geforce

petrasar69
05-22-2011, 06:26 AM
hi i am waiting to get my alienware rig built it will have a i7 950 cpu 6 gigs of ddr3 ram 875 watt power supply and 2 geforce gt 430 graphics cards do you think this will be ok to run witcher 2

HJP
05-22-2011, 06:32 AM
Do they even sell Alienware rigs with GT430's? That's a really low end card meant more for HTPCs rather than gaming.

Abriael
05-22-2011, 06:36 AM
Do not get alienware. Simple as that.

Save lots of money that you're wasting on the brand by buying the parts and getting some friend to assemble them (or use the building service from the retailer of the parts, and STILL save money), and get better video cards, an i7 950 is wasted on those low-end video cards.
At the very least get two GTX 460 1 gig.

Also, get branded products where it matters, namely the power source. 875 watts isn't even needed, get a 750, but from a good brand (which means good components and steady output, that are crucial for a PS) like corsair.
The power source is the most problematic part of getting pre-assembled PCs, as you have no control over what you get. Underestimating the importance of such an apparently (to amateurs) unimportant component is what ends up getting your whole PC fried.

petrasar69
05-22-2011, 06:40 AM
thanks for that i didnt say i am buying the alienware part built with just the mobo and the cables inside and buying everything else myself so you think the graphics cards are crap then or do you think they will work but only on low settings

Abriael
05-22-2011, 06:43 AM
thanks for that i didnt say i am buying the alienware part built with just the mobo and the cables inside and buying everything else myself so you think the graphics cards are crap then or do you think they will work but only on low settings

I'm not sure how low, but the GT 430s are very much towards the low-end of the spectrum. Getting two crappy cards and SLI'ing them is a quite convoluted and underperforming solution. If you're dead set on that budget, it's much better to spend it all on a single better card than on two low-end ones.

Mind you, for gaming you'd even be better off saving on the processor, and spending more on the video cards themselves.

petrasar69
05-22-2011, 06:52 AM
trouble is have already got the 2 cards so i am stumped now but wont nake the same mistake twice and buy the low end cards but they were recommended to me by a friend

Abriael
05-22-2011, 07:05 AM
trouble is have already got the 2 cards so i am stumped now but wont nake the same mistake twice and buy the low end cards but they were recommended to me by a friend

Argh, the advice wasn't any good. If the cards are still boxed maybe you could try and get them replaced by the retailer with a better one (or better ones, paying the difference)?

petrasar69
05-22-2011, 07:07 AM
thanks for all your advice mate i will try what you said and then maybe i will get the game to work ok but do you think i would be able to tweak my original cards around a bit and get the game to work ok

Borlag
05-22-2011, 07:10 AM
The performance for a GT 430 card is well below the minimum requirements, chances are that you wont get the game to run at all even if you'd have two of them.

Drowsy
05-22-2011, 07:38 AM
Get a Sandy bridge system in any case.

petrasar69
05-23-2011, 08:46 AM
hi drowsy whats a sandy bridge system just that im a bit blonde today so bear with me ok

HJP
05-23-2011, 09:12 AM
whats a sandy bridge system just that im a bit blonde today so bear with me ok

Sandy Bridge is Intel's codename for their new architecture of the second generation Core i3/5/7 processors. The architecture for that i7 950 you're trying to get is codenamed Nehalem.

If it is at all possible, you should cancel everything you ordered and start from scratch with a Sandy Bridge i5 2500K or i7 2600K. They offer better performance than the last gen processors and are cheaper too.

enlive
05-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Holy ♥♥♥♥, 430 in SLI? Please don't buy this, just don't buy from Alienware. Or at least swap out the GPUs for a 560ti or something, the 430s will be able to play it but barely. Also might want to think about naming the title better in the future. Also, you don't sound blond, you just sound underaged.

petrasar69
05-23-2011, 12:59 PM
enlive have a look at what someone else had to say about this card and they are playing on high settings with no problems or are they wrong aswell

Re: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Now with Saviors of the Queens!

« Reply #343 on: May 18, 2011, 07:49:12 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: Vindel on May 18, 2011, 04:31:14 PM

Ok I have a question, I have a

AMD Athlon II quad core 3.2
ATI Radeon 5770 1 gig
4 gigs of memory
Windows 7 64bit

Do you think my rig will be able to run the game good? With ubersampling turned off.

I have a dual-core 3.2 GHz, an nVidia GT440 with 1 GB, 4 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64 bit, and I the game runs fine (at least in the beginning) on High settings.

so i dont know where you get the idea that i sound underage i was just asking for opinions not judgements so please dont reply to my posts again as i wont respond ok

grifter102
05-23-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm running witcher2 on an alienware m11xr2 (i7, gt335m) and it runs smoothly on low settings.

enlive
05-23-2011, 01:55 PM
enlive have a look at what someone else had to say about this card and they are playing on high settings with no problems or are they wrong aswell

Re: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Now with Saviors of the Queens!

« Reply #343 on: May 18, 2011, 07:49:12 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: Vindel on May 18, 2011, 04:31:14 PM

Ok I have a question, I have a

AMD Athlon II quad core 3.2
ATI Radeon 5770 1 gig
4 gigs of memory
Windows 7 64bit

Do you think my rig will be able to run the game good? With ubersampling turned off.

I have a dual-core 3.2 GHz, an nVidia GT440 with 1 GB, 4 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64 bit, and I the game runs fine (at least in the beginning) on High settings.

so i dont know where you get the idea that i sound underage i was just asking for opinions not judgements so please dont reply to my posts again as i wont respond ok
Sorry are you unable to quote posts? You are underaged, so don't even bother denying it. You are either underaged or have never used a form before. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. TW2 has a lot of problems with SLI at the moment and I just think it's a waste of money when you could get a 560ti (a decent card) for the same price. This guy may claim he can run on high, but I doubt he can unless it is @ 1280x1024 and running at 30FPS.

Benchmarks of your dog awful card:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GT_440/7.html

And why ask me to look at something if you apparently aren't going to answer me. If you want to waste your money on some ♥♥♥♥ty GPUs designed for HTPC then go for it, I'm not stopping you. Also I can't even find that post, source?

Toto pectore
05-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Man, is every Alienware setup i7+really low end crappy graphics card for unreasonable high price? Sounds more like Mac to me.

enlive
05-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Man, is every Alienware setup i7+really low end crappy graphics card for unreasonable high price? Sounds more like Mac to me.
Yes, they are, then idiots like the OP insist that they are right when you tell them otherwise. Also here is a bit more for you OP:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GT_440/7.html

A little quote:
"Let’s say it first, this card is not designed for modern big games."

Also notice how it struggles to play CoD4 at 60FPS, that game is what, 4 years old?

Source:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GT_440/9.html

Iconoclast6601
05-23-2011, 03:45 PM
The only time I ever see anyone mention buying alienware is when they're trolling

thametz
05-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Why are you guys calling him an idiot. Did you even read his post and responses? He bought the GPU's on advice his friend gave him. He comes on here asking for help and you guys crap all over him. Learning how to build a good PC is a learning process and to bash him because of his choices just shows the character of some of you.

enlive
05-23-2011, 04:42 PM
Why are you guys calling him an idiot. Did you even read his post and responses? He bought the GPU's on advice his friend gave him. He comes on here asking for help and you guys crap all over him. Learning how to build a good PC is a learning process and to bash him because of his choices just shows the character of some of you.
I didn't crap on him, I just said it was complete rubbish and he was getting ripped off, then he starts acting as if he is right even though I just told him what is the reality.

Abriael
05-23-2011, 04:46 PM
I didn't crap on him

You actually resorted to completely unnecessary and unwarranted insults in multiple occasions. Chill, seriously.

petrasar69
05-24-2011, 07:41 AM
thanks for that abriael i was only asking for advice, wont be asking enlive for any thats for sure and as for him saying i was underaged what is his problem i will sort my graphics card problem out maybe see if i can return them and get a better one, or 2 dont know yet

petrasar69
05-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Nvida GTX550ti Gfx Card what do u reckon guys this has got to be better than the gt430

iGaming | Chaos
05-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Nvida GTX550ti Gfx Card what do u reckon guys this has got to be better than the gt430

A dog pissing into a beer would be better than a 430.

But yes, much better choice, not brilliant but better. Next time make sure you do some more research before you buy any computer components.

Gamebreaker
05-24-2011, 12:03 PM

That card is a good buy, others will advice an AMD card, but seeing you are new to computers an NVidia card with automatic and (usually)good drivers is a good choice for you.

Also for the processor as someone has said, you want an i5 2500.

You want 4 gb RAM, not anymore as it's not used by games.

Edit: Read it wrong thought you were talking about a GTX560 Ti. You might want to do what trek554 advices just below.

trek554
05-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Nvida GTX550ti Gfx Card what do u reckon guys this has got to be better than the gt430a gtx460 does not cost much more but blows it away and has tons of overclocking headroom left.

and since no one has pointed this out...you cant run 2 gt430 cards in sli because it does not even support sli. your "friend" is clueless.

GodSmacked
05-24-2011, 12:08 PM
make the jump and get a gtx460 or hd6850 if you are thinking of the 550, you will want more in the long run...trust me

soulgraph
05-24-2011, 12:15 PM
@petrasar69 are you already stuck with the rest of the build(motherboard, cpu, ram...)?

petrasar69
05-24-2011, 02:56 PM
hi soulgraph ya the pc comes with the mobo and all the cables i have already bought the ram its 6gigs of pkr 10600 1333mhz ddr 3 memory it has a 875 watt psu 2 sata 2 seagate barracuda 500 gig hard drives i just put the 2 gt 430 graphics cards on ebay to try and recuperate some of my money back so i can then get 1 decent graphics card instead of 2 rubbish ones

petrasar69
05-27-2011, 03:03 AM
hiya everybody i have took all your suggestions onboard and have gone out and bought myself a evga nvidia gtx 460 se i gig card just got to wait for it to get here now and hope when its up and running i will be able to play witcher 2 has its meant to be played with good fps and high settings once again thanks for all your help