PDA

View Full Version : Cities XL is on sale for 66% off

McChadworth
05-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Cities XL is on sale for 66% off, for $6.80. I wouldn't mind mucking about in it despite the bugs, but I would prefer to get it a bit cheaper during the summer sale. Does anyone remember if it has been on this low of a sale before?

Does anyone think it is worth picking up at this price given its shortcomings?

Spykirby
05-22-2011, 10:58 AM
it accually has been on sale for 5$ before, twice!

GordonFrohman
05-22-2011, 11:03 AM
I wouldn't really advise you to get it at all. I've bought it in a previous sale, I played with it a couple of days without much enthusiasm and ended up regretting purchasing the damn game. Nowadays, it's still taunting me in my library, where I refuse to touch it anymore.
Plenty of features that were planned and that you'd expect in a city builder aren't there, and it seems to be made above all for people who are going to shell out the monthly subscription to the multiplayer mode.

If you don't acquire Cities XL, you're not missing out on anything.

SayaSe
05-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Cities XL is horrible and full of bugs. Instead of patching it they released the fixed version as Cities XL 2011.

Yeah, no.

McChadworth
05-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the reply everyone. I'll pass on it. There is still plenty of life in the Simcity and Tropico games that I can squeeze out. It is a shame since cities xl looks quite nice on the surface.

Lurpsukka
05-22-2011, 12:23 PM
I wouldn't really advise you to get it at all. I've bought it in a previous sale, I played with it a couple of days without much enthusiasm and ended up regretting purchasing the damn game. Nowadays, it's still taunting me in my library, where I refuse to touch it anymore.
Plenty of features that were planned and that you'd expect in a city builder aren't there, and it seems to be made above all for people who are going to shell out the monthly subscription to the multiplayer mode.

If you don't acquire Cities XL, you're not missing out on anything.

+rep

Saved my poor wallet again :D

grahamkel
05-22-2011, 12:23 PM
I was gonna buy too.
After reading this post i'll give it a miss

iTimmeh
05-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Aww nuts. I was interested until I realised the version on offer was the abandoned, bug-ridden one. No thanks!

Mickey Blue
05-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Picked it and 2011 up, it seems that most people who comment on this game either haven't played it or are directly comparing it to Simcity 4 (a game that has been out for far longer and also a game that had plenty of its own issues on release).

I figured for twenty bucks I could give it a shot. I really loved the Simcity franchise (in fact I grew up playing all sorts of the "sim" games such as earth, ant, etc and liked them, too bad the Sims came along and ruined it all with its success*) but I've gotten to the point I want something new that works on an updated engine. Sure there is tons of modding support for SC4 (something that hopefully eventually comes to this game) but its still an old, outdated base system.

Anyways I could be wrong and it may suck but I figure I'll give it a go, I've been looking for a good, modern, city builder and this seems interesting.

-MB

*Its not really its fault, lots of people love the Sims, but unfortunately that is all we ever seem to see and the days of sim games really taking a chance and doing something unique are gone I'm afraid.

chrisdglong
05-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Cities XL is horrible and full of bugs. Instead of patching it they released the fixed version as Cities XL 2011.

Yeah, no.

Well, that means I wont be buying it. I don't support developers and publishers who do this kind of BS.

Megawizard
05-22-2011, 02:25 PM
I considering myself fortunate enough to have figured out what was going on and was going to happen back in the public beta for 2009. It just seems like they were trying to make a quick cash generator and word got around too fast.

bewilderedronin
05-22-2011, 04:18 PM
@ chrisdglong: It should be noted that the developer of Cities XL Regular and LE was Monte Cristo. They went out of business due to poor sales of Cities XL. The Cities XL IP was then purchased by Focus Home Interactive, who developed Cities XL: 2011.

momar
05-22-2011, 05:23 PM
@ chrisdglong: It should be noted that the developer of Cities XL Regular and LE was Monte Cristo. They went out of business due to poor sales of Cities XL. The Cities XL IP was then purchased by Focus Home Interactive, who developed Cities XL: 2011.

FWIW, the store page lists Monte Cristo as the dev studio for 2011.

gjork
05-22-2011, 08:36 PM
But it says if you buy CitiesXL you can buy 2011 version for 50% off. So that means you could get 2011 for $26.80 instead of the usual $39.99 price, and you get XL to boot.

Still not sure if 2011 is worth it though going by the negative posts I see here.