PDA

View Full Version : Gamebreaking Dragon Boss Bug

walter
05-23-2011, 03:39 AM
When fighting the dragon on top of tower in chapter 3, cutscene doesnt trigger when dragon is low on health. I fight it until it has no health left, at which point my hits against it stop registering and I receive ~300XP for killing it. Dragon keeps fighting though and I'm stuck. I tried loading earlier saves, but same thing happens everytime. Did this happen to anyone else?

It really sucks to get gamebreaking bug at the very end of the game :(

Strike_You
05-23-2011, 03:55 AM
When fighting the dragon on top of tower in chapter 3, cutscene doesnt trigger when dragon is low on health. I fight it until it has no health left, at which point my hits against it stop registering and I receive ~300XP for killing it. Dragon keeps fighting though and I'm stuck. I tried loading earlier saves, but same thing happens everytime. Did this happen to anyone else?

It really sucks to get gamebreaking bug at the very end of the game :(

Ouch :(

Edit: I looked around on google.. cannot find anyone with the same bug. I can send you my save (before climbing up to the top of the tower) I have decent gear, and mostly sided with Triss

walter
05-23-2011, 04:52 AM
I took advantage of my experience with game development and tracked down what triggers the bug :)

When fighting the dragon in lower part of tower, there is a brief moment as the cutscene is fading in, when clicking attack still makes geralt attack the dragon, even though you don't see it (you can hear slashing, though).

Final cutscene is presumably triggered based on how much health did dragon lose during fight on the top of tower, not based on total health. Because of additional hits on lower floor, dragon had less health than it should have and even when it reached 0 HP, it still didn't lose enough HP to trigger the cutscene.

This explanation sounds a little bit contrived, but I tested it several times with expected results.

Strike_You
05-23-2011, 05:03 AM
I took advantage of my experience with game development and tracked down what triggers the bug :)

When fighting the dragon in lower part of tower, there is a brief moment as the cutscene is fading in, when clicking attack still makes geralt attack the dragon, even though you don't see it (you can hear slashing, though).

Final cutscene is presumably triggered based on how much health did dragon lose during fight on the top of tower, not based on total health. Because of additional hits on lower floor, dragon had less health than it should have and even when it reached 0 HP, it still didn't lose enough HP to trigger the cutscene.

This explanation sounds a little bit contrived, but I tested it several times with expected results.

nice :cool:

anticitizen101
05-23-2011, 06:03 AM
There's another gamebreaking bug during the dragon fight that I just encountered.

As you run up the stairs, the dragon breaks walls and spits flames at you. As I had high damage, I managed to take about 1/4 life on each wall section, then another 1/4 at the sequence with Sile. This caused the environment to not break properly, as I wasn't supposed to damage it that much, and wasn't able to climb the broken wall (the character would just move sideways continuously).

That being said, if somebody does run into this bug, simply don't attack the dragon's head while climbing the tower.

Artek
05-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Thanks for that info about the dragon head on the stairs. I was stuck on the wall, had no idea what else to do.

Thanks!