PDA

View Full Version : Noob Questions

Unt
05-23-2011, 09:19 AM
This might be a useful noob questions thread, for issues similar to mine.
Anyway, let's begin.

Ok... The single player scenario War Welcome.

So, after 3 god damn hours, I fianlly captured the whole map, achieved all objectives and all that.
I arrived at the enemy HQ, have two tanks and an apc there and... I just can't seem to be able to capture the HQ.
Every other strategical point is captured, and the enemy infantry just keeps spawning near the HQ.

My tanks and my APC are tearing the place up, the enemy AI doesn't even have time to move, they die instantly by this point (the vehicles are strategically placed in that matter).
But for the love of god! I have no ideea how to actually capture it. I tried staying inside the HQ taking cover, but to no avail.
I love this game, but it has serious reta$rded FUBAR moments like this.

So is this a bug of some sort or a stupid command or something that I'm missing?

vohk
05-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Havn't played that one in a while, but that's based on the Warfare mode/module isn't it? Tried blowing the enemy HQ up?

Unt
05-24-2011, 04:28 AM
Havn't played that one in a while, but that's based on the Warfare mode/module isn't it? Tried blowing the enemy HQ up?

Nope, will try this today. Thanks.

Anyway, the thing with this sort of questions in ARMA is the fact that you honestly can't find a good place for them, on any forum.
You can google all you want, but everybody on the three main forums seems interested in only scripting problems, mission editing, modding, multiplayer issues etc.

It's great really, to have such an invested community. But if you try to solve some basic problems and get some simple answers it's near impossible. Wich is a shame really. The game is superb and I'm addicted to it, but like I said previously - it's far from perfect and has plenty fubar moments.
There really should be more threads to help people getting into the gist of things. (the manual is frankly quite weak in that department)

Update
I finally managed to finish the scenario.
The AI is intelligent and retar%ded at the same time. Point in case - neither the tanks or the apc wanted to attack the HQ. Even though they were right near it they kept saying "negative" and "no can't do". The only way I managed to destroy it was for me to get into the gunner seat and shoot it myself.

wooki
05-24-2011, 05:04 AM
It is very much a game of learn-by-mistakes. Many missions have been aborted while my team, shot to pieces, lie supressed by a tank and we have no at-rockets left.
I always try to have atleast one at-launcher and one satchel charge.
Abovementioned situation has also been resolved by a suicidal dash upon the tank. Plant satchel and run. Set off and fall wounded from the blast.
Get patched up. March on.
It's a series of fubar moments until one has become used to chaos and reacts in a cool manner and handles each situation with precision.
While I'm not there yet I make progress.
So yes. It is quite bewildering in the beginning. But I suppose it would be in the reality this game is portraying too. It is a simulation of real world situations after all and I find it hard to believe I would be getting killstreaks in a RL-battlefield :P

In this game there is nothing that commends you. You get no medals or ranks. The only reward in mastering it is the sense of being a veteran within it. That's when ArmA truly hooks you :)

Unt
05-24-2011, 05:29 AM
@wooki
I completely agree.
However, I am sorry, but this sort of technicality has nothing to do with mastering the game. It is a serious AI lacking issue in the above mentioned enemy HQ case.
I can name a douzin or so other moments I managed to painstakingly get through, hampered by poor design choices or bad mechanics, again - having nothing to do with mastering the game.

There really should be a thread or two to help players overcome these issues.

Dwarden
05-24-2011, 06:00 AM
Unt, on official forum there are 3 areas where you can ask

ARMA 2 & OA \ General http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

but better into

ARMA 2 & OA \ Questions and Aswers http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?f=110

or mission related for official missions
ARMA 2 & OA \ Official Missions http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85

Unt
05-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Unt, on official forum there are 3 areas where you can ask

K
Thanks, and sorry for the trouble.

Maybe this is a good place to start a similar thread though?

P.S.
Looking forward for ARMA III. We love the game, and love you guys for making it... But ffs don't rush it, I mean it! I think we can tag along just well with the current arma titles.