PDA

View Full Version : Combat and other actions horribly delayed

Sage009
05-23-2011, 06:04 PM
I shouldn't have to wait 2 whole seconds after i press 1, 2, left-click or right click for my action to finally be registered.
This makes combat and even just moving around horribly laggy and uncomfortable.

As a big fan of Witcher 1, i am terribly disappointed in this.

Sifer2
05-23-2011, 06:07 PM
My favorite is rolling away from a crowd an trying to cast a spell an needing to mash Q like 5 times before it will actually cast. That an trying to back up to avoid being surrounded only to have Geralt turn his back on them so they can all backstab him.

neuralclone
05-23-2011, 07:24 PM
I love the combat in this game but I agree. The odd delays in combat are really frustrating and seriously hurt an otherwise brilliant game. Not being able to backup while facing an opponent in combat is equally annoying. As is the incredibly slow blocking, sign casting rate, and rolling.

Sage009
05-23-2011, 07:25 PM
I love the combat in this game but I agree. The odd delays in combat are really frustrating and seriously hurt an otherwise brilliant game. Not being able to backup while facing an opponent in combat is equally annoying. As is the incredibly slow blocking, sign casting rate, and rolling.

Speaking of rolling, every time i do it I STILL GET HIT!
No matter which direction i roll in!

ZDProletariat
05-23-2011, 07:28 PM
You need to roll before they are swinging at you. Otherwise their sword is clipping your butt cheeks as you roll away.

BionicAir
05-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Speaking of rolling, every time i do it I STILL GET HIT!
No matter which direction i roll in!

there is no "immunity" to damage during a roll..this isnt Lost Planet 2.

and i dont encounter any combat delays. and technically its not even a delay,you need to finish your combat maneuvers first in order to cast a sign,seeing as it requires just a bit of concentration. i can parry just fine mid combat,while im still attacking, your gonna get hit regardless. point is,dont let yourself get surrounded

HighPopalorum
05-23-2011, 07:56 PM
I really like the skill that increases dodge distance. You can change direction mid-roll.

DuckStab
05-23-2011, 07:59 PM
I shouldn't have to wait 2 whole seconds after i press 1, 2, left-click or right click for my action to finally be registered.
This makes combat and even just moving around horribly laggy and uncomfortable.

As a big fan of Witcher 1, i am terribly disappointed in this.

I don't have this problem at all. I think this problem may be the result of playing at lower than 60 fps which causes some delay in input registration. I recommend turning down your graphics settings a bit.

skylr616
05-23-2011, 08:18 PM
I don't have this problem at all. I think this problem may be the result of playing at lower than 60 fps which causes some delay in input registration. I recommend turning down your graphics settings a bit.
I hate to say it... but I have to agree with this. I have almost no issues with delays like this. I run at about 50-60 FPS stable w/ VSYNC OFF.

Although I have had a few situations where I was suddenly unable to cast Aards... sometimes my sword takes a long ♥♥♥♥ time to come out... little things like this... but as long as I space out my attacks and Aard casting I have no issues in combat. I only really have problems when I try to spam stuff (which is easy to do in the heat of battle... but that would be considered user error in my book).

NiteHyeway
05-23-2011, 08:19 PM
From my experience, you can only cast a spell if you stand still for a second or so. You can't just stop and do it immediately. Also, it takes Geralt another second to actually perform your command. I agree, this is very annoying.

BionicAir
05-23-2011, 08:27 PM
From my experience, you can only cast a spell if you stand still for a second or so. You can't just stop and do it immediately. Also, it takes Geralt another second to actually perform your command. I agree, this is very annoying.

i find it fits well with the combat,so you cant just insta spam your signs during your maneuvers. lets say your Quen wares off while your in the middle of swinging your sword.and you just hit Q,and it instantly pops back up,i think that would be extremely overpowered. signs require concentration to "cast" it. you dive roll a couple times away from your enemies,cast your sign,then go back in. thats not a delay,its just how CDP had it. and i think its perfect

skylr616
05-23-2011, 08:44 PM
i find it fits well with the combat,so you cant just insta spam your signs during your maneuvers. lets say your Quen wares off while your in the middle of swinging your sword.and you just hit Q,and it instantly pops back up,i think that would be extremely overpowered. signs require concentration to "cast" it. you dive roll a couple times away from your enemies,cast your sign,then go back in. thats not a delay,its just how CDP had it. and i think its perfect
This is pretty much how I see it too. I think there are some bugs to be worked out but they tend to occur at the start/end of combat (sometimes my sword won't come out and sometimes my sword won't go away until I cast an extra Aard after combat).

I also think that interacting with objects is seriously clunky ATM... I always seem to be too far or too close to things I am trying to interact with. I absolutely hate the way doors work and I think mobs should be lootable almost immediately. I kind of wish I could cast my Aards with my sword away too... although that's a minor issue. NEWayz... bit off topic I guess ;P

BionicAir
05-23-2011, 08:51 PM
This is pretty much how I see it too. I think there are some bugs to be worked out but they tend to occur at the start/end of combat (sometimes my sword won't come out and sometimes my sword won't go away until I cast an extra Aard after combat).

I also think that interacting with objects is seriously clunky ATM... I always seem to be too far or too close to things I am trying to interact with. I absolutely hate the way doors work and I think mobs should be lootable almost immediately. I kind of wish I could cast my Aards with my sword away too... although that's a minor issue. NEWayz... bit off topic I guess ;P

valid points there. the Aard thing ya is a minor issue,using any sign i guess triggers combat,which requires your sword out...for some reason. door interactions do indeed need a tweeking,but its manageable.

Sage009
05-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Door interaction and the wait time to loot nearly puts the combat delay to shame :(

I can't see any logical reason for it to be implemented this way

neuralclone
05-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Except that they don't just occur at the start/end of combat. They happen throughout. The recovery time from being hit, the time it takes to block, the delays in rolling, the delays between casting a sign and attacking, the time it takes to get up after being knocked down, etc. consistently happen regardless of the point in combat I'm at. I shouldn't need to press buttons 4-5 times to get Geralt to do what I want him to do. It also makes no sense for a master swordsman to complete a full combo move before attempting to block an incoming blow.

Nor does it make sense for him to have to completely stop whatever he's doing, wait 1-2 seconds, and THEN start blocking (or casting a sign). It also makes absolutely no sense for him to completely turn around when trying to back up. That exposes his entire back and there's no way for him to defend himself. I've played a lot of action RPGs and while it's refreshing to see some actual strategy in this game, the responsiveness of the controls are some of the worst I've ever seen.

Once again, the choreography for the sword play is fantastic in this game and is some of the best I've seen in a game. But these really bizarre design decisions make Geralt seem like slow-moving, moron that's never fought with a sword before. I know it isn't my Xbox 360 controller that's the problem as it works perfectly in other games. Using a mouse and keyboard seems to increase the responsiveness a little bit but I still have similar delays.

That said, I do agree with this. Object interaction is a little clunky at the moment. I find it to be rather minor in comparison to the combat issues though.

BionicAir
05-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Except that they don't just occur at the start/end of combat. They happen throughout. The recovery time from being hit, the time it takes to block, the delays in rolling, the delays between casting a sign and attacking, the time it takes to get up after being knocked down, etc. consistently happen regardless of the point in combat I'm at. I shouldn't need to press buttons 4-5 times to get Geralt to do what I want him to do. It also makes no sense for a master swordsman to complete a full combo move before attempting to block an incoming blow.

Nor does it make sense for him to have to completely stop whatever he's doing, wait 1-2 seconds, and THEN start blocking. It also makes absolutely no sense for him to completely turn around when trying to back up. That exposes his entire back and there's no way for him to defend himself. I've played a lot of action RPGs and while it's refreshing to see some actual strategy in this game, the responsiveness of the controls are some of the worst I've ever seen.

Once again, the choreography for the sword play is fantastic in this game and is some of the best I've seen in a game. But these really bizarre design decisions make Geralt seem like slow-moving, moron that's never fought with a sword before. I know it isn't my Xbox 360 controller that's the problem as it works perfectly in other games. Using a mouse and keyboard seems to increase the responsiveness a little bit but I still have similar delays.

That said, I do agree with this. Object interaction is a little clunky at the moment. I find it to be rather minor in comparison to the combat issues though.

as stated above, those delays are probably from lag,due to low FPS, i have no problems parrying blows while in mid-swing regardless of what direction the enemy is hitting me from,i have no delays period. and combat for me is flawless. im usually at 40+ FPS now with mid 20's,i can see some delays,or perhaps its your keyboard. but i dont know what else to say. ive got the Logitech G15,and it works great

neuralclone
05-23-2011, 09:33 PM
My mouse and keyboard are fine. Both are USB 2.0 and respond perfectly fine in other games. My Xbox 360 controller also works fine in other games. Regardless of what's causing the problems, I'm getting severe input lag in this game. It mostly just impacts combat. What's weird is that I tend to get around 40 FPS as well. But the controls are still extremely sluggish. It's like the input loop is running slower than everything else.

The problems occur even if there aren't any enemies around. I press the button to block (for example), there's a 1-2 second delay, and then Geralt decides to block. That's just ridiculous.

I'm glad you aren't running into problems but many of us are. Combat, as it currently stands, has a lot going for it but it's also severely flawed. It shouldn't take 10-15 reloads on normal to beat a few enemies in the freaking prologue because buttons aren't responding.

skylr616
05-23-2011, 09:35 PM
The recovery time from being hit, the time it takes to block, the delays in rolling, the delays between casting a sign and attacking, the time it takes to get up after being knocked down, etc. consistently happen regardless of the point in combat I'm at. I shouldn't need to press buttons 4-5 times to get Geralt to do what I want him to do. It also makes no sense for a master swordsman to complete a full combo move before attempting to block an incoming blow.
This is exactly the point which I disagree with.

I am now making my way through my second play through (now on Hard) and I find the combat to already be incredibly easy as long as I space my attacks and time my Aards carefully. There certainly is a delay between when I swipe my sword or dodge and when I can cast a spell (for example) but it feels completely appropriate. As far as knockdown goes... stop being hit (I rarely get hit in ACT 1 with just the basic dodge and if you put a few points in to Quen then you are practically unstoppable).

skylr616
05-23-2011, 09:37 PM
The problems occur even if there aren't any enemies around. I press the button to block (for example), there's a 1-2 second delay, and then Geralt decides to block. That's just ridiculous.
It sounds like you have VSYNC turned on (either in the game settings or in your graphic control panel). I am hitting the block button out of combat at this very moment and it is instantaneous.

neuralclone
05-23-2011, 09:39 PM
I'd love to not be hit but I can't block, roll, or cast a sign fast enough because the game doesn't respond in a timely fashion. There is no logical reason for there to be a 1-2 second delay after you tell Geralt to do something. It's frustrating, it feels like you're controlling a 700 pound swordsman, and it makes combat unnecessarily clunky.

It sounds like you have VSYNC turned on (either in the game settings or in your graphic control panel). I am hitting the block button out of combat at this very moment and it is instantaneous.
Vsync is off in the game settings and in my graphics card control panel.

skylr616
05-23-2011, 09:41 PM
If you could link a screenshot of your settings that would be helpful (witcher 2 launcher advanced settings). What GPU do you have? Driver version? Stereo 3D drivers installed? Are you trying to use ubersampling!?

I want to help but I need more info... it's clearly working very differently for me so there is something going on with your configuration that is causing a problem.

neuralclone
05-23-2011, 09:55 PM
I don't have time at the moment (gotta get to bed) but I'll try to post my settings tomorrow.

I have an ATI Radeon HD4850 with 2 GB of video RAM. I also have 4 GB of RAM and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+. I realize that my CPU is likely holding me back some but I've played games with more ridiculous requirements and have had fewer problems. Movement when I'm not in combat is generally pretty smooth. Most of the issues I have only occur when I'm in combat. And as I said above, my framerate is generally pretty decent.

I'm using Catalyst 11.5a (driver packaging version: 8.85.6-110516a-119270). Ubersampling and AA are both off. Changing my graphics settings seems to have very little impact unless I enable ubersampling. Then the framerate just goes down the toilet.

skylr616
05-23-2011, 10:21 PM
I have a Phenom II 965 @ 4GHZ and an AMD 6970 w/ 11.5a driver (so driver probably isn't the problem) but you are quite a bit behind my specs (only difference so far).

You could try dropping the settings down (shadow quality, shadow lights, texture memory size, etc) to really low levels just to see if the delay persists... that will at least eliminate the chance that your HW is the problem (when I turn on Ubersampling I start to feel a delay, but not the 1-2 seconds you report between pressing R and blocking... just the sluggish behavior you would expect from low FPS).