PDA

View Full Version : Why wasn't Shani in this game?

Valerianus
05-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Personally, I hated how the game forced Triss upon us without even considering who went with in the first game (I went with Shani).

Yeah, Triss is hot and all, but she was nowhere as sweet as Shani. I am disappointed by the lack of carryover.

ZDProletariat
05-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Triss is the cononical choice, his real love. shani was the alternate for people who wanted a choice, but in the end Shani was just a fling. Just a cute girl for the recent adventure. Triss has always held Geralt's heart in the end.

Yvese
05-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Shani isn't an important character. She's a doctor that stays in hospitals all day.. while Triss actually helps you.

I see Shani as the same as Ashley in Mass Effect; fodder character with no importance except to sacrifice them or just use as a filler character.

Crimsonhawk
05-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Personally, I hated how the game forced Triss upon us without even considering who went with in the first game (I went with Shani).

Yeah, Triss is hot and all, but she was nowhere as sweet as Shani. I am disappointed by the lack of carryover.

Replay Witcher and choose Triss, then you'll find that Shani isn't necessarily all that sweet. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.:D

Zhijn
05-23-2011, 08:04 PM
I dont recall 100% but didnt the Shani romance end with Geralt leaving her and the kid, saying something like he wasnt cut out for it?.

BladeFireLight
05-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Triss is the cononical choice, his real love. shani was the alternate for people who wanted a choice, but in the end Shani was just a fling. Just a cute girl for the recent adventure. Triss has always held Geralt's heart in the end.

Real Love?
Game 1 mentioned he married a mage. It was not Trish it was Yennefer. Trish was her were friends.

ZDProletariat
05-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Spoiler
You can fall in love with more than one person you know. He lost his memories of Yennefer, and Triss was there for him. Now that he's remembering Yennefer he probably has conflicting feelings.

BladeFireLight
05-23-2011, 09:29 PM
She died trying to save him, I wonder if she came back to life?

SleeplessDark
05-24-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm not so angry about Shani not being in the game or being stuck with Triss, but I wish they would've at least mentioned what happened to her and what ended the fling. Also, what happened to Alvin? Been awhile since I played Witcher 1, but I recall him still being around at the end of the game and Geralt taking up the role as his father figure or something.

DarkHayze
05-24-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm not so angry about Shani not being in the game or being stuck with Triss, but I wish they would've at least mentioned what happened to her and what ended the fling. Also, what happened to Alvin? Been awhile since I played Witcher 1, but I recall him still being around at the end of the game and Geralt taking up the role as his father figure or something.

Alvin was the Grand Master

DerRidda
05-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Big f'ing spoilers in here, please consider putting a spoiler warning in OP!

Demon Wraith
05-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Triss has always held Geralt's heart in the end.
You mean Yennefer.

Joe_Chip
05-24-2011, 12:10 PM

SPOILER!

Yea, he was the Grandmaster of the Order. lol. You missed something.

Shani is a lesser character. There isn't anything between Geralt and Shani. I recommend you reading the books. Geralt is in love with Triss and Triss with Geralt. In "Sword of Destiny" (so before the whole novel saga, before Geralt took Ciri with him and, obviously, before his death in Rivia) Geralt clearly states this. Even though he also loves Yennefer.

You mean Yennefer.

True. But Triss has a major role too. Apparently, he loves both. In diffirent ways though.

bes
05-24-2011, 12:17 PM
SPOILER!

Shani is a lesser character. There isn't anything between Geralt and Shani. I recommend you reading the books. Geralt is in love with Triss and Triss with Geralt. In "Sword of Destiny" (so before the whole novel saga, before Geralt took Ciri with him and, obviously, before his death in Rivia) Geralt clearly states this. Even though he also loves Yennefer.

It doesn't matter though ...she should have been in this game still ..even if you DIDN'T have her as a lover in the first game she was still a friend ..just like Zoltan, Dandelion etc...

SleeplessDark
05-24-2011, 12:24 PM
SPOILER!

Ah, right. Now I remember. Totally spaced on that twist for whatever reason. In any event, I think it would've been appropriate for people who chose Shani to have Triss say something in regards to that at the beginning of the Witcher 2. I felt like they sort of wrote her out like she never happened or existed since no one literally said anything about her, but in Witcher 1 she was this old friend of yours that you didn't remember.

Joe_Chip
05-24-2011, 12:26 PM
It doesn't matter though ...she should have been in this game still ..even if you DIDN'T have her as a lover in the first game she was still a friend ..just like Zoltan, Dandelion etc...

Not really. She is a student at the Oxenfurt University (at least in the first book translated to English. For now I can't read polish). She is kind of sedentary and never follows Geralt during his journeys. She is just a random encounter.
*Don't know if anything changes in the following books.

Celtichugs
05-24-2011, 12:30 PM
Lol people are complaining about Shani, what about the lack of Yennefir?

In the books Triss loves Geralt, Geralt loves Yennefir, or atleast he did.

Joe_Chip
05-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Lol people are complaining about Shani, what about the lack of Yennefir?

In the books Triss loves Geralt, Geralt loves Yennefir, or atleast he did.

Play the game. You'll know what became of Yennefer.

GameWarrior2216
05-24-2011, 12:50 PM
I was also wondering that too plus Berengar and the other witchers from the first game. It would also be nice to know what happened to some side characters like Abigale, the Lady of the Lake, Thaler, etc.

WICHER 1 SPOILERS: I'm guessing Siegfried and Yaevinn both died at the end, with or without you killing them.

Sifer2
05-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Yeah I was disappointed as well. You would think at least Triss would mention it an still be a little angry at Geralt for dumping her there for a while an shacking up with another woman. Instead Shani is just totally written out of the plot.

At the end of the first game even if you picked Shani though Geralt had his doubts that it could work out. It's kind of sad actually. He knew he couldn't be a proper husband or give her a child. An they were sort of going to adopt Alvin but that certainly didn't work out.

DerRidda
05-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Well, since this is the most massive spoiler thread here already:

We should see where the next The Witcher game will bring us, everything points to Nilfgaard, Yennefer and the Wild Hunt which could wrap up most loose ends and essentially conclude the The Witcher games as a trilogy.

Celtichugs
05-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Play the game. You'll know what became of Yennefer.

*sigh*, I'm talking lack of talk about Yennefir in W1 and W2, it isn't talked about nearly enough in the first. Such a focal point in the books, but I guess W3 will have more about choices between Triss and Yenn'.

Valerianus
05-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Yeah, same thing about Yennefer. Even though The Witcher 2 makes many references to her, I am still somewhat confused by it all... Plus, I have not read the books either.

Though some of those cosplays on DeviantArt appear to suggest that she is quite an attractive character.

Celtichugs
05-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Well, since this is the most massive spoiler thread here already:

We should see where the next The Witcher game will bring us, everything points to Nilfgaard, Yennefer and the Wild Hunt which could wrap up most loose ends and essentially conclude the The Witcher games as a trilogy.

Doubtful, they would, I think, make the novels into a game. As opposed to making the story, they would use the stories of the books. Someone mentioned the idea of a open-world Witcher game would be a good idea. But I thknk they'd have to revise their rights with the author.

Hiroyukie
05-24-2011, 01:26 PM

Triss is a b!tch. Yennefer is Geralts true love and Triss knows that, yet she seduces the witcher when he lost his memories.

She's practicaly breaking a family - Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri. I know Ciris not the witchers real daughter, but she always treated him as a father.

Geralts love with Shani is more justified since the young medic doesnt know about Yen.

DerRidda
05-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Doubtful, they would, I think, make the novels into a game. As opposed to making the story, they would use the stories of the books. Someone mentioned the idea of a open-world Witcher game would be a good idea. But I thknk they'd have to revise their rights with the author.

Well, no studio sticks to one franchise forever and they won't make the books into games, there is no alternating story line in those, they are set into stone. The games play after the books.

Guess I have to buy the books sooner rather than later.

Celtichugs
05-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Well, no studio sticks to one franchise forever and they won't make the books into games, there is no alternating story line in those, they are set into stone. The games play after the books.
Guess I have to buy the books sooner rather than later.

Yes, that makes sense, but I think they've make a linier action game, like you say - changing tact a little.

Books are good and underrated outwith Slavic counties, imo :)

Anyone eltes think an openworld Witcher game would be good? Not as Geralt maybe, but as any ol' Witcher, you make. Perhaps even an MMO?

Demon Wraith
05-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Triss is a b!tch. Yennefer is Geralts true love and Triss knows that, yet she seduces the witcher when he lost his memories. Yennefer is dead. At least as far as Triss or anyone else knows at the time. I think it's okay.

Soggy
05-24-2011, 02:13 PM
I thought Triss was Shani during the original reveal of W2.

Triss was a ♥♥♥♥♥ in the first game... it's pretty easy to mistake her when she's all happy and cutesy now.

bes
05-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Yeah, same thing about Yennefer. Even though The Witcher 2 makes many references to her, I am still somewhat confused by it all... Plus, I have not read the books either.

I agree ....I was like who the hell is this Yennifer? ...they need to make it friendly to people that didn't read any of the books ...

I played through Witcher 1 and dont remember anyone by that name ...there was only Shani and Triss ...

ZDProletariat
05-24-2011, 02:19 PM
I agree ....I was like who the hell is this Yennifer? ...they need to make it friendly to people that didn't read any of the books ...

I played through Witcher 1 and dont remember anyone by that name ...there was only Shani and Triss ...

Mentioning her starts as a mystery, then they reveal who she was as he recovers his memory. I think it was done fine.

vitanksi
05-24-2011, 02:19 PM
I actually never finished Witcher 1 due to the choice I had to make about either going with Triss or Shani. I have a thing for gingers, and this made it impossible for me to choose. Funny how a game will do that. I had every intention of eventually playing again but before I could my HD took a dive and I had to reinstall everything.

Joe_Chip
05-24-2011, 02:24 PM
*sigh*, I'm talking lack of talk about Yennefir in W1 and W2, it isn't talked about nearly enough in the first. Such a focal point in the books, but I guess W3 will have more about choices between Triss and Yenn'.

You said: "Lol people are complaining about Shani, what about the lack of Yennefir?"

It appears you were talking about TW2. If you didn't, you were not so clear.
You can explain the lack of any references to Yennefer, in the first TW, considering Geralt regain his memories of her only at the beginning of TW2.

Demon Wraith
05-24-2011, 02:28 PM

Yennefer was mentioned twice in The Witcher 1. Just not by name.

Triss mentions Geralt and a Sorceress playing with a genie. The Sorceress was Yennefer.
The Innkeeper of act 4 tells a story of a Witcher's death and how a sorceress died trying to revive him. That was the story of Geralt and Yennefer's deaths.

WardDragon
05-24-2011, 02:35 PM
Having finished TW2, I understand why the story needed to have Triss in it rather than Shani. However I still think it would have been nice to have a line of dialogue at the beginning of the game saying where Shani went. I just hope she didn't die XD

ZDProletariat
05-24-2011, 02:36 PM
I just hope she didn't die XD
She probably contracted some disease from all the people she tries to save. While Geralt ran off with Triss to fight dragons, Shani slowly died in a hospital bed of syphilis or something :D

WardDragon
05-24-2011, 02:48 PM
She probably contracted some disease from all the people she tries to save. While Geralt ran off with Triss to fight dragons, Shani slowly died in a hospital bed of syphilis or something :D

Not cool XD I heard somebody say at one point that she became a university professor in the books. I don't know if that's true, but I'll go with that anyway :P

bes
05-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Yennefer was mentioned twice in The Witcher 1. Just not by name.

Triss mentions Geralt and a Sorceress playing with a genie. The Sorceress was Yennefer.
The Innkeeper of act 4 tells a story of a Witcher's death and how a sorceress died trying to revive him. That was the story of Geralt and Yennefer's deaths.

Ah ..thanks for that info ..im playing Witcher 1 again anyway so maybe ill catch it this time..

JJDrakken
05-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Having finished TW2, I understand why the story needed to have Triss in it rather than Shani. However I still think it would have been nice to have a line of dialogue at the beginning of the game saying where Shani went. I just hope she didn't die XD

Shani is a red-haired medic, and a student at the Academy of Oxenfurt. While still a student, she, Dandelion and Philippa Eilhart helped Geralt chase down Rience. She participated in the Battle of Brenna as part of the staff of Milo "Rusty" Vanderbeck's field hospital. A friend of Dandelion and Geralt. Many years after the Witcher saga, she became the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine and Herbology of the University of Oxenfurt. She died seventy-two years after the Battle of Brenna

Source: Witcher Wiki (http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Shani)

JJ

WardDragon
05-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Shani is a red-haired medic, and a student at the Academy of Oxenfurt. While still a student, she, Dandelion and Philippa Eilhart helped Geralt chase down Rience. She participated in the Battle of Brenna as part of the staff of Milo "Rusty" Vanderbeck's field hospital. A friend of Dandelion and Geralt. Many years after the Witcher saga, she became the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine and Herbology of the University of Oxenfurt. She died seventy-two years after the Battle of Brenna

Source: Witcher Wiki (http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Shani)

JJ

Thank you :D I feel better now that I know Shani was doing alright.

SpiritSharD
05-24-2011, 04:33 PM
You've gotta remember; CDProjekt have promised us DLC, meaning there's the possibility of characters from the first game making a return. I'm hoping Shani and Thaler will make an appearance at some point, or at 'least in The Witcher 3. :P

BTW, what sort of relationship is Geralt supposed to have with Triss, if any? I ask because it's not clear whether his actions with other women are considering cheating, or that he's in an open relationship.

Celtichugs
05-24-2011, 04:56 PM
You've gotta remember; CDProjekt have promised us DLC, meaning there's the possibility of characters from the first game making a return. I'm hoping Shani and Thaler will make an appearance at some point, or at 'least in The Witcher 3. :P

BTW, what sort of relationship is Geralt supposed to have with Triss, if any? I ask because it's not clear whether his actions with other women are considering cheating, or that he's in an open relationship.

Within game? Well I think if you make the right choices, it's a unsaid love, I'm not sure. Or, again if you make the right choices, it's still a blatent love but the Devs still allowed you to have sex etc with other woman. In the books, she loves him but it isn't visa versa.

WardDragon
05-24-2011, 05:07 PM

Yeah, maybe. Which reminds me, even Thaler got a mention in Witcher 2 but not Shani XD (I found a letter from Thaler showing that he's still leading the Temerian equivalent of the CIA :P)

In any case, I don't want them to put Shani in just for the sake of having her (I'd hate for her to turn out like Venom in the Spiderman 3 movie where it was clear the director didn't want to include Venom but was forced to do it anyway). However if she does show up or get mentioned in future DLC, that would be cool :D

Neverpleased
05-24-2011, 05:28 PM
I don't think Geralt has any real problems with sticking his ♥♥♥♥ in foreign holes. He bonked an elf, a half elf, every possible women in town from peasant to nurse to town clerk, a vampire, a half stryga, two or three witches, a dryad and I think he even smurfed a female dragon though the dragon didn't fit on the card so they left it out of the final release.

I mean I collected about 20 sex cards in the first game and I actually think I missed half of em. So in the first game alone (without any of the books) Geralt has bagged 40 theoretical women. I think his fidelity only lasts as long as his erection. Which judging how fast the cards were unlocked wasn't all that long.

Shani, Triss they are both plot devices and honestly in my eyes they are pretty interchangeable. Shani could have been bitten by a vampire between games and gotten super magic power or something and I honestly wouldn't have noticed until she burst into flames from the sun.

Edit: looked on the wiki and the actual total is 24

noman_ex
05-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Hell, Witchers are immune to infectious diseases and infertile. So no worries about pregnancy or STDs.

MrTastix
05-24-2011, 07:44 PM
I preferred Shani in the original game but honestly think Triss is better in the second based purely off "sweetness" factor. I knew about Yen though, and about Triss' canonical relationship with Geralt, but just never liked it in the first game on a personal basis.

Both will rage at you if you don't give them Alvin (in the first game) but Triss always felt too abrasive for me in the first game from the moment you meet her, whereas Shani didn't.

Though in the sequel, Triss' persona seems to have changed quite substantially, for whatever reason.

Hoest
05-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Shani was alright in the first game, but I personally liked Triss much more. Now in the second game Triss is even better in my opinion. So I don't miss Shani, but I am looking forward to what might happen with Triss and Yennefer in the third game.