PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else worried about one button special moves for keyboard

Nerv322
05-24-2011, 07:11 AM
So I noticed in the screen shots on the steam store that SSF4 AE has support for the keyboard by showing the keyboard layout. I also noticed that it has way more buttons higlighted than one would need leading me to believe they will do something like Capcom did on the 3DS and make all specials and ultras a one button press activation.

Anyone worried that this will just lower the skill level and create greater spamming than ever?

Will people who have pads just say ♥♥♥♥ it and go keyboard just so they can have a 100% special/ultra activation and no errors/fail activation (which can happen when using a pad) just to keep it level with keyboard players?

Thoughts on this?

kristo
05-24-2011, 07:18 AM
There are 3 new buttons, one for throw, one for focus, and one for parry.
Yes it's a way to simplify gameplay on keyboard, but I don't think it will be a problem.

Don't forget that this game is made to be played with an arcade stick, or , at least with a gamepad.

pkt-zer0
05-24-2011, 07:20 AM
It's trivial to make one-button specials have the same (or larger) input time than the normal command, so it should have zero effect on spamming. That's not what they did in the 3DS version, stupidly enough, but this is still an easily avoidable mistake.

As for the screenshots, that's the standard layout, with throw/focus/taunt/PPP/KKK mapped to individual buttons.

ggspike
05-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Parry in SSF4? Am I missing something? Is this just auto focus + dash?

nirgoren
05-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Parry in SSF4? Am I missing something? Is this just auto focus + dash?I think he meant taunt.

kristo
05-24-2011, 12:20 PM
I think he meant taunt.

yeah sorry

Nerv322
05-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Yeah I just saw the screen shot in full screen and it does display what the keys are for. Should of done that from the start, but I jumped to conclusions based on my brief experience with SSF 4 on the 3DS where it let you trigger special moves and ultras with the touch screen. Which was a good thing becuase I found it quite difficult to do a fire ball with the 3DS D-pad and the analog stick.

C2Q
05-24-2011, 01:29 PM
The hell are you guys talking about? There was always an option to set separate buttons on SFIV keyboard for focus/taunt/throw. I do it all the time since i play on keyboard.

emp
05-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Even if macros come out (and they always do), what differences good players from bad players isn't the ability to pull out consistently special moves/supers/ultras, Hell.. if anything by the time you're half-decent you should almost never miss any special attacks.

If it really worries you, then just take the time to learn the game beyond a basic level, at that point anyone spamming macros at you would be anything but a challenge.

EDIT: It's actually WAY more important knowing when and how to block than performing combos consistently. If you're good at blocking and teching throws, you can beat most people with just poke attacks and throws.

Me2nice
05-24-2011, 08:12 PM
I am. Slightly.

Zombie.Crusher
05-25-2011, 12:06 AM
and make all specials and ultras a one button press activation.
[...]
create greater spamming than ever?
I'm pretty sure you can't spam specials, supers or ultras.

Nerv322
05-25-2011, 01:31 AM
so people can't spam fire balls or any special move, sure.

Krackatoa
05-25-2011, 03:30 PM
so people can't spam fire balls or any special move, sure.

Unlike the 3DS version, which allows for single-frame inputs of special moves in Lite-Mode (Hello Sonic Boom), macros have to space out their inputs over the natural course of game time in order to function properly.

A Hadouken requires a minimum of three frames worth of recorded inputs

First frame: Down
Second frame: Down+Forward
Third frame: Forward+Punch

A macro will never surpass beyond these theoretical human and game-engine limits. In fact, it's near impossible to make a macro that can perform a high-damage combo that could in turn be used safely in any situation.

This keeps good players, and especially terrible players, from relying on macros. In online play, the variable frame delay used in the netcode is often enough to completely obliterate any overly complex macros that would perform things very hard to master through human means.

Ergo. You won't see someone using macros to spam any more than a regular player can. Terrible players will still be terrible.

Coeco
05-30-2011, 09:38 AM
I don't quite understand why you are even bothering with raging at "spam".

There are about two mayor kinds of group taking use of macros. One group is pissed off over people bringing console on the pc by using joysticks and the other group consists of people being unable to properly pull off certain moves for whatever reason, broken programming, keyboard signals not being registered, no time to learn the game and so forth. Either way, the opponent got a handicap, not you.

And if you are that knowledgeable enough to complain about a certain topic, spam will not be a problem for you. And if it is, you're bad at the game and will rage either way.

Prinny Plush
05-31-2011, 12:36 AM
Even if they did implement 'Easy Specials' into SSF4AE, you could most likely toggle it on and off for matches online and it'll be disabled for ranked online play, just like BlazBlue.

Whinette
05-31-2011, 02:26 AM
Even if macro exist, I don't care.
This game isn't only perfect execution, mindgame & mixup are far more important (if your execution is alright, of course).

MarceloAbans
06-01-2011, 02:33 PM
That's fine, there is so much more to the game than just "special moves" and "sick combos". 1 button special doesn't mean they'll be automatically better, just that they can maybe fireball faster than me, not when and where to use it.