PDA

View Full Version : Do outfits make your hitbox larger?

Clue55
05-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Discuss.

For example the bomb suit makes a light look like a medium, and a medium a heavy, and a heavy a hot air balloon.

Barrechor
05-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Interesting question tbh m8. Brinks hitboxes actually seem to be based more on your silhouette so its a distinct possibility.

Personally I wouldve liked to see each outfit have its own characteristics IE: Bomb suit = High protection but low Mobility etc. It probably wouldve been a better way of doing it than body types tbh.

We could actually do with someone from SD confirming this one way or another.

PsycoApocalipse
05-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Interesting, if I could grab a couple people that can stand still unlike bots... this could be easily tested with one of the sniper rifles. TBH the bomb suit and such ought to give a slight stat boost, hell one of the teaser vids has the guy in a bomb suit with the gotlung minigun and he takes a grenade to the face and shrugs it off.

Edit: oops he's got the chinzor MG, just watched teaser trailer 2. Guy takes a grenade to the face from the single launcher and keeps on standing there. Also, there's a freaking rocket flying a few seconds before that, you can clearly see the guy dodging it as it flies by. WTFH is my rocket launcher?

Jack O'Mally
05-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Personally I wouldve liked to see each outfit have its own characteristics IE: Bomb suit = High protection but low Mobility etc. It probably wouldve been a better way of doing it than body types tbh.

Pfffft, no thank you. I prefer aesthetics to be aesthetics and game mechanics to remain game mechanics. I want to wear a bandanna and sweater without being handicapped for looking cool as compared to that guy wearing a football suit getting a bit more bullet resistance for lookin' like a clown.

Plus it takes away from the customization's purpose! It's a problem prevalent in many games, including MMORPGs. You level up, you get that armor you always wanted, but you never wear it because that one piece you HATE gives you better stats.

And another point: If clothes had stats then we'd start to see all the 'good' clothes being worn by pro's, like all the good players using a CARB. Everyone would LOOK THE SAME.

Ex0dus13
05-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Just send me a message/friend request and ill hop in with someone and we can debunk this.

McBeak
05-24-2011, 07:05 PM
You realize they'd have to make changed/new hitboxes for every set of clothes. If you got larger hitboxes for wearing clothes, you'd be taking damage from hitting clothes. And if outfits changed your stats depending on the outfit you're wearing, Security would be getting the better end of the deal just from having bulletproof armor.

Ex0dus13
05-24-2011, 07:14 PM
You realize they'd have to make changed/new hitboxes for every set of clothes. If you got larger hitboxes for wearing clothes, you'd be taking damage from hitting clothes.

...isnt that what we're trying to figure out ?

Jack O'Mally
05-24-2011, 07:26 PM
...isnt that what we're trying to figure out ?

What he's saying is from the developer's standpoint it's much easier to make it so the same hitbox affects all clothing then vice versa. It'd be way too time consuming to not only MAKE the clothing, then specify what areas are the hit box. To which, he has a point.

DarkByke
05-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Which is why I always set up my characters with the least amount of "extra fat" and the darkest colors I can find.

ÁR╝
05-24-2011, 08:49 PM
My character's basically nude and I don't think I'm avoiding anymore shots than the other medium classes...

but I'm still interested in the objective analysis to be done by someone...

Ex0dus13
05-24-2011, 09:18 PM
im still game, playin right now actually

Jack O'Mally
05-24-2011, 09:28 PM
I'd be willing to help as well, anything to produce viable help to the community. I'm getting tired of just bumping hate-threads with attempts at negotiation.

Ex0dus13
05-24-2011, 10:04 PM
I'd be willing to help as well, anything to produce viable help to the community. I'm getting tired of just bumping hate-threads with attempts at negotiation.

Send me an invite on Steam, Same username

AroundTheHorn
05-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Also interested in the results.

Jack O'Mally
05-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Send me an invite on Steam, Same username

I will in a while, if your still on. I'm watching the Social Network with family. Priorities, I'm afraid.

Ex0dus13
05-24-2011, 11:03 PM
@Jack, im off for the night, just send me a friend invite. We'll do this tomorrow