PDA

View Full Version : For Anyone Thinking of Buying

Zomnivore
05-24-2011, 03:46 PM
I got this game when it first came out, it was a great buy, the only complaints I had was that it was hard on my computer, and that the story was a little less than great (the re-playability of the game is decent, mostly the game-play is where its at, this game is what oblivion should've been. There's sort of a weak evil/good route choice that you can follow, to see both endings you've got to play it twice, and you can try different ability paths).

For the price now and the lowered quality of the current gen of games, this game still holds up a good.

Please if you want a decent old game, this is definitely a good buy.

bobsbarricades
05-24-2011, 05:03 PM
I got this game when it first came out, it was a great buy, the only complaints I had was that it was hard on my computer, and that the story was a little less than great (the re-playability of the game is decent, mostly the game-play is where its at, this game is what oblivion should've been. There's sort of a weak evil/good route choice that you can follow, to see both endings you've got to play it twice, and you can try different ability paths).

For the price now and the lowered quality of the current gen of games, this game still holds up a good.

Please if you want a decent old game, this is definitely a good buy.

i gotta say I wanted to buy this when it first came out and we had that demo. it's a hard game and you really have to think on your feet. THINK! Man I hope lots of people buy it now that it's on sale. I'm playing through, but haven't done multi yet. is it fun? is it coop?

Ilsyde
05-24-2011, 11:57 PM
I loved this game. Good story and great atmosphere.

noman_ex
05-25-2011, 06:27 AM
No mods though, even though it's a Source game.

IceIYIaN
05-28-2011, 01:07 PM
My mod works for the demo(Steam and Non-Steam), sp and mp.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/elements-of-war/downloads/1337-board-v7

You can also make levels for mp and the demo(Non-Steam)

Jewslox
06-02-2011, 02:51 AM
For those thinking to buy this game...don't. There's a high chance that a memory leak will constantly lag and crash your computer. This game should be given free, if anything.

Orange Ninja
06-02-2011, 03:00 AM
For those thinking to buy this game...don't. There's a high chance that a memory leak will constantly lag and crash your computer. This game should be given free, if anything.

Is there?

DMMM runs absolutely fine at highest settings (with AA) and 60+ fps on my laptop.

spyrochaete
06-02-2011, 07:33 AM

I've owned this game since launch and have played it on 3 PCs and this never happened to me. Perhaps I experienced the memory leak but I don't remember this game ever crashing or suffering in performance.

Jewslox
06-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Look up stuttering issues for dark messiah. The problem is rampant. I have an overclocked i7 920, 2x gtx275 in sli, 6 gigs of ram, and win7 64 ultimate.

I can play any game on ultra settings except this one after playing 5 minutes.

Blue Lightning
06-02-2011, 06:49 PM
It runs flawless on Xp, which it was designed for. It takes a little doing to get it to run right on newer systems.

And you must download and install the 1.2 patch or else you will have a memory leak in the skybox that will haunt you throughout the game. If you DL it from steam, I would think the patch is already included, but Im not sure about that.

Ubisoft website has the patch.

Stitched
06-09-2011, 03:05 AM
Look up stuttering issues for dark messiah. The problem is rampant. I have an overclocked i7 920, 2x gtx275 in sli, 6 gigs of ram, and win7 64 ultimate.

I can play any game on ultra settings except this one after playing 5 minutes.

I would HOPE that the Steam version is patched to 1.2 (haven't checked through console) and did the usual "defrag" and "verify cache" steps.

I am having the same issue.

i7 870 @ 2.93 GHz, 8 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 285 (running 275.33 drivers)

Can't run this game under "recommended" settings, in-game (which is far from Ultra). Some places, I get 6 FPS. This game is broken for my machine. Support is non-existant. Most guides are outdated by several years for help.

Can't recommend it to anyone.

TempS
07-01-2011, 12:28 PM
largely ran nicely for me on Vista 32-bit. sweet game, and its unbelievably cheap considering how good it is. for a rpg, it's got great graphics, great physics, etc. great atmosphere too imo.

Corneliusm
07-01-2011, 01:26 PM
It runs fine on my system:
Win7 x64 Professional
Phenom II 920 w/ 4GB ram
Radeon HD5850 / 1GB

Personally, I didn't buy the game on Steam. It actually came with my Geforce 8800GTX when I bought it back in 2006. The graphics have held well since then. I recently installed it to replay it for nostalgia- plus the FP swordfights are pretty bad*ss.

Plays smoothly at 1920x1080 w/ 4xAA/16xAF (never used FRAPS on it, never stutters though). Graphically, still holds up just as well as it did nearly five years ago. No perceived memory leaks on my system, and frame rate stays consistently high.

For $2.50 it's a steal. I'm buying copies for my brothers during today's sale.

Andross
07-01-2011, 02:26 PM
I really enjoyed this game, the combat is great imo. $2.50? Stop reading and go get it.

MagFlare
07-09-2011, 05:43 AM
largely ran nicely for me on Vista 32-bit. sweet game, and its unbelievably cheap considering how good it is. for a rpg, it's got great graphics, great physics, etc. great atmosphere too imo.

It's a fine game, but describing it as an RPG is just going to sow confusion and disappointment. I think the people who buy Dark Messiah knowing full well that it's a linear first-person stabber with some downplayed RPG elements (rather than something like Oblivion) will be more satisfied with their purchase.

l4nd0fc0nfu510n
07-10-2011, 09:19 PM
I think the problem arises on Windows 7 x64, with an Nvidia card. My friend who has Windows 7 x64 has an ATI card, and his runs flawlessly. My brother has Windows 7 x32 and an Nvidia card, and his also runs flawlessly.

Triver
07-11-2011, 12:56 PM
I didnt experience any problems as well (using Windows 7 32bit with a Nvidia graphics card), except that the game crashes on quit...

Is there anyone who doesnt have this problem? If not we could beg the developers for a quick look on the source code in their spare time because its a little bit annoying :)

l4nd0fc0nfu510n
07-12-2011, 12:33 AM
I didnt experience any problems as well (using Windows 7 32bit with a Nvidia graphics card), except that the game crashes on quit...

Is there anyone who doesnt have this problem? If not we could beg the developers for a quick look on the source code in their spare time because its a little bit annoying :)

Same problem in 7 x64. Crashes when I exit, every single time.

Triver
07-12-2011, 02:46 AM
I believe this problem occurs also with WIndows XP (32/64 bit) but Im not sure (at least the combatibility modes are no help).

So if everyone has this problem maybe we could convince a responsible person to fix this, thats why I asked :)

Denhonator
08-08-2011, 01:16 AM
This game is epic! But maybe a bit too easy , I think. But it is surely worth the price :)

bobsbarricades
08-08-2011, 03:46 AM
This game is epic! But maybe a bit too easy , I think. But it is surely worth the price :)

easy in the sense that you are always allowed different ways to approach things!

Denhonator
08-08-2011, 05:49 AM
Maybe its not supposed to be hard, but fun to kill those enemies! Something like that, I suppose :D

GoryionBolverk
08-09-2011, 02:03 PM
It's kinda a gamble. If the game works for you.. it seems to be fun. But if like me you go from 250fps to 2-5fps in the matter of a minute... then it's not. I bought it in the pack during the sale, so I'm not out much. Still disappointing.

bobsbarricades
08-09-2011, 03:46 PM
It's kinda a gamble. If the game works for you.. it seems to be fun. But if like me you go from 250fps to 2-5fps in the matter of a minute... then it's not. I bought it in the pack during the sale, so I'm not out much. Still disappointing.

that is disappointing. You running XP or 7? updated drivers?

I'm xp 32 bit and runs great. Maybe have 2 windows partitions? I read a lot of threads that talk about having windows 7 compatibility problems (esp games that aren't new)

Blue Lightning
08-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Remember, you have to add the 1.2 patch from Ubisofts website. I dont know if it is included in the Steam version. All I know is when I added the patch my FPS were fine (I have a store bought disc).

I have Xp 32 and have no problems at all with the game. Except the Gouls on hard mode...damn they are difficult :eek:

:D

Denhonator
08-10-2011, 12:45 AM
I think, if the game sometimes works really good, then you can somehow keep it that way, there are some performance tweakers and that sort of a stuff :)

GoryionBolverk
08-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Steam Version is supposed to be pre-patched to 1.2.

I'm running a phenom x3 with ati hd4870 latest drivers on Windows 7 x64.

Some people get it to work with similar hardware, some don't, as I said, a crapshoot.

Blue Lightning
08-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Easy way to tell if you have the patch installed already...

If you get 3 difficulty settings, you have the 1.2 patch installed already. If you only get two settings (medium and hard, I think), then you do not have the 1.2 patch installed.

Triver
08-15-2011, 06:34 AM
or you simply start the game with the paramtere "-console" and look at the top left (or right) in the main menu.

Blue Lightning
08-21-2011, 06:23 PM
LOL this might be the best FPS game ever made, and it is overlooked by the biggest part of the gaming community :D

GoryionBolverk
08-22-2011, 07:50 PM
That's because it's an RPG... :P