PDA

View Full Version : Saves in the cloud

Spykez
05-24-2011, 11:47 PM
So as my luck usually goes it I found that my PC was going pew pew pew and the disk boot failure. Lost all my save games.

I know there's a service that's in beta now from some other people that keeps track of your save games and keeps them on a server.

Was wondering what the steam community thought of it. Having steam keep track of the save games locked to our accounts so if losing a HD or something, we have a back up available.

Cyberbooster
05-25-2011, 12:59 AM
The service is already online for some games. Each game with "steam cloud" syncs the savegames and settings in the cloud.

Etherfast
05-25-2011, 07:16 AM
The service is already online for some games. Each game with "steam cloud" syncs the savegames and settings in the cloud.

Are you sure it includes savegame files too?
Counter-Strike: Source and Modern Warfare 2 have 1 (one) MB of cloud space for example.

Keyboard controls or avatars, or game characters - these are entities that are indeed saved in the cloud.

As far as I know, each game launched on Steamworks has a limit of 1GB cloud space per gamer (although developers set lower limits). It's the game developers who are not using this feature to the maximum :)

Cyberbooster
05-25-2011, 12:04 PM
I am sure indeed, HL2 (vanilla, Ep1, Ep2) and some other games I own saved in the cloud, as I play from different machine quite often.

Spykez
05-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Ya don't play a lot of games made by valve. Not a fan of any of them other than portal. Hope more dev's will push on this feature

Scared
05-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Are you sure it includes savegame files too?

I am sure indeed, HL2 (vanilla, Ep1, Ep2) and some other games I own saved in the cloud, as I play from different machine quite often.

Some games do include saved games, same games don't.

Cyberbooster
05-26-2011, 01:55 AM
From Wikipedia:

Valve provides a service called Steam Cloud. For supported games, Steam Cloud stores various amounts of game data, such as keyboard shortcut settings and single-player game saves, on a central server. Any changes to relevant game files are uploaded to the main server, and newer files are automatically downloaded and used when a game is started.

Spykez
05-26-2011, 07:31 AM
odd, I always use steam cloud but never had a save game..saved...