PDA

View Full Version : Random crashes in game

AnD
05-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Like the title says , when I'm playing then the game sometimes crash and sometimes I'm playing without a crash.

If it crashes then nothing happens for maybe 1 second and the game crashes/quits and I see my windows desktop without a message.

I'm running this game on Windows 7.
Intel Q6700 CPU @ 2.66 GHz
4 GB Ram
ATI 4850 Gfx card with 512 MB
OCZ Vertex2 SSD 60 GB

tibetanpunk
05-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Dude, that's so weird...I am getting the exact same crashes...Just lost my first really good city...:o

My system is

Q6600 2.4Ghz
4850 512MB
4GB DDR2 800 OCZ RAM
Win7 64bit

So not that different from yours. This is the first time it has crashed, but earlier it minimized to desktop for no reason.

I guess I need to save frequently now that I know it is going to do this...Game is great though. :)

AnD
05-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Yeah I save it now a lot more.
I forgot to mention that I also have windows7 64bit

Rellik66
05-26-2011, 09:31 PM
I'll just quote from my general support thread (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1879359):
The dreaded Crash to Desktop (CTD) (discussion (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1881826))
CTDs seem all to common on modern games and can be pretty difficult to diagnose. (I'm looking at you Fallout 3!). If you're lucky, you will only get a CTD only after 2-3 hours of gameplay.
Anyway, here are some tips:

Save early, save often! (should go without saying, especially since SC4 doesn't have a autosave feature that I know of.) CTRL+s is your friend!
Verify your game cache files, defragging might be a good idea too.
Update your drivers (Are you sensing a pattern here?)
Only use one core, add -CPUCount:1 to your launch options (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1040-JWMT-2947).
Set compatibility to XP or earlier.
Buggy and/or too many plugins can cause instability issues
Overclocking or CPU/GFX overheating may be a cause of instability.
Software mode might be more stable, with the usual caveats.

Personally I think setting the game to use 1 core has the most effect for me. I have managed to play 6-8 hours straight with no crashes.

JBBooks
05-27-2011, 09:48 AM
I'll just quote from my general support thread (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1879359):
Personally I think setting the game to use 1 core has the most effect for me. I have managed to play 6-8 hours straight with no crashes.

Same here. Once I added -CPUCount:1 to the launch options, I have not had a single crash. Prior to that, they were annoyingly frequent.

Rokz
05-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Mmmm, mine will not boot at all. Tried all the launch settings and the update. As far as I am concerned, if I paid more than what I actually did I would have demanded a return, as I still have not played it once.

An indie developer can release a more functional game than this PUSS...Microsoft and EA can suck my ****....

AnD
05-29-2011, 01:31 AM
Well I added the 1cpu option and the xp compatibility
and it didn't crash anymore.

DimlyLit
06-04-2011, 06:35 PM
"CTDs seem all to common on modern games..." I don't agree. CTDs as well as freezes and lockups seem all to common to Steam Games. (Other than their own Valve games) Going to try the single core option and hope it helps. I know that issue did even effect their Valve game TF2 before. Crossing my fingers, cuz if I lose another city because I was working so hard on it that I forgot to save every few minutes, I'm going to be so frustrated.

martian712
01-24-2013, 08:09 AM
I have been getting this crash since I reinstalled Windows 8. I had played the game extensively on Windows 8 prior, but it's now happening for some reason. Don't know if the 1 CPU core option helped or not because the game ran so piss poor that I couldn't stand it. Guess I'll just keep saving.

Seems weird that some people experience ctds regularly while some users of the same game and equivalent hardware never see one. The hardware affected is really diverse, and equivalent or identical hardware can be not affected at all. But if it was purely a software bug, you think it would affect all users in a randomly distributed way. This is annoying, and would be annoying to diagnose or fix as a developer.