PDA

View Full Version : Capcom to use always online with Super Street Fighter IV PC

paratech2008
05-26-2011, 08:03 AM
[url=http://www.capcom-unity.com/sven/blog/2011/05/25/stuff_you_want_to_know_about_ssfiv:ae_for_pc]Capcom to use always online DRM for Super Street Fighter 4"

"Now, on the security side of things, SFIV unfortunately was plagued by pirates and hackers that messed up leaderboards. To hopefully remedy that, SSFIV:AE will be making use of what is called SSA technology (similar to what we used in Dead Rising 2). Like Xbox Live, players will sign in when they launch the game. You must have a Games for Windows Live account (which is free) in order to get full access to the title. If you already have an Xbox Live silver or gold account, those would work too and your achievements would be added/displayed in your usual gamescore.

Inevitably the question is: if you happen to temporarily lose your connection in the middle of your session (letís say youíre working on combos in the training room or working on challenges), no problem. Youíll be able to keep doing what youíre doing until you come to a logical break point, like exiting to a menu, at which point youíll be asked to sign back in. Assuming your PC is back online, everything will continue as it should, just like on Xbox 360.

If you arenít signed in to an online GFWL profile, the offline mode has limited functionality. Obviously thereís no online play, access to replay channels or other online-centric features (and this is the part that keeps the online play secure from hackers or pirates). Additionally, you wonít be able to save any progress in challenges or settings, wonít have access to any DLC youíve purchased and all local play will be restricted to 15 of the 39 characters.

To answer a few other questions before they get asked:

There are no installation limits. The game is tied to the user account with the SSA mechanism. You can install it a zillion times and as long as youíre logged in on the associated account, youíre good to go.

Yes there is DLC supported. All of the costume packs from the console versions, going back to the original SFIV, will be made available via Games for Windows Live Marketplace. There is a caveat though: Steam users will not be using GFWL Marketplace to obtain DLC. Weíll provide more details on that wrinkle at a later date.

The GFWL services and functionality is the same regardless of whether you buy a physical disc or download via a digital delivery service. There is no other form of DRM on retail copies or most digital outlets. Steam and Impulse will be enabled to make use of their respective security solutions in addition to SSA."

fjawodfc
05-26-2011, 08:05 AM
Are you trying to provoke irrational DRM whining?

paratech2008
05-26-2011, 08:06 AM
Irrational DRM whining? How about people who aren't online all the time, people who don't have GFWL supported in their country etc?

TheNoseKnows
05-26-2011, 08:15 AM
Offline support seems terrible. I bet the pirates still find a way to make their versions, which are necessarily offline, function better than that of GFWL...

rtor
05-26-2011, 08:15 AM
How about people who aren't online all the time

It's a freaking fighting game. Everyone spends 99% of their time online anyway, so why the hell not?

Besides, Capcom is just making fun of itself. This game will be cracked day one, just like every other game, so then you can play the "rich" offline mode.

CoffehTime
05-26-2011, 08:19 AM
[url=http://www.capcom-unity.com/sven/blog/2011/05/25/stuff_you_want_to_know_about_ssfiv:ae_for_pc]Capcom to use always online DRM for Super Street Fighter 4"

"Now, on the security side of things, SFIV unfortunately was plagued by pirates and hackers that messed up leaderboards. To hopefully remedy that, SSFIV:AE will be making use of what is called SSA technology (similar to what we used in Dead Rising 2). Like Xbox Live, players will sign in when they launch the game. You must have a Games for Windows Live account (which is free) in order to get full access to the title. If you already have an Xbox Live silver or gold account, those would work too and your achievements would be added/displayed in your usual gamescore.

Inevitably the question is: if you happen to temporarily lose your connection in the middle of your session (letís say youíre working on combos in the training room or working on challenges), no problem. Youíll be able to keep doing what youíre doing until you come to a logical break point, like exiting to a menu, at which point youíll be asked to sign back in. Assuming your PC is back online, everything will continue as it should, just like on Xbox 360.

If you arenít signed in to an online GFWL profile, the offline mode has limited functionality. Obviously thereís no online play, access to replay channels or other online-centric features (and this is the part that keeps the online play secure from hackers or pirates). Additionally, you wonít be able to save any progress in challenges or settings, wonít have access to any DLC youíve purchased and all local play will be restricted to 15 of the 39 characters.

To answer a few other questions before they get asked:

There are no installation limits. The game is tied to the user account with the SSA mechanism. You can install it a zillion times and as long as youíre logged in on the associated account, youíre good to go.

Yes there is DLC supported. All of the costume packs from the console versions, going back to the original SFIV, will be made available via Games for Windows Live Marketplace. There is a caveat though: Steam users will not be using GFWL Marketplace to obtain DLC. Weíll provide more details on that wrinkle at a later date.

The GFWL services and functionality is the same regardless of whether you buy a physical disc or download via a digital delivery service. There is no other form of DRM on retail copies or most digital outlets. Steam and Impulse will be enabled to make use of their respective security solutions in addition to SSA."

this "always online" thing will die when the games using it don't sell as well. people travel and dont always have access to the internet...

chopstix
05-26-2011, 08:32 AM
It's a freaking fighting game. Everyone spends 99% of their time online anyway, so why the hell not?

Besides, Capcom is just making fun of itself. This game will be cracked day one, just like every other game, so then you can play the "rich" offline mode.

No, not everyone. I certainly don't. I am not a big fighting gamer. I enjoy the series but I am also far from great at this genre. I play offline and enjoy my time just working to get better at it. Nothing online is of any benefit for people like me, and with my shaky DSL, it only makes matters worse.

Capcom never ceases to amaze me with their treatment of PC gamers.

PCgamerzz
05-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Irrational DRM whining? How about people who aren't online all the time, people who don't have GFWL supported in their country etc?

I can't even buy the game anyway since my country is not supported :)

acare84
05-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Who cares? It will have GFWL and I won't buy because of that anyway. :)

StubbsZombie
05-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Similar DRM is used in Dirt 3.
You cannot save progress if you're not signed in live.

But as you can see...pirates got what they want.

kenclopz
05-26-2011, 09:14 AM
I hate this crap!!! I am a legitimate buyer who does not play on-line!!! I get my a$$ whooped everytime I play on-line! I like single player and I have a router that whigs out and I have to reset it and let it rest every once in a while. Now I know, someone will say, well, go buy a new router-- and yeah, I should! But i ain't Mr. Moneybags! I like single player easy mode offline gaming! Please stop with the on-line connection thing!

paratech2008
05-26-2011, 09:18 AM
I hate this crap!!! I am a legitimate buyer who does not play on-line!!! I get my a$$ whooped everytime I play on-line! I like single player and I have a router that whigs out and I have to reset it and let it rest every once in a while. Now I know, someone will say, well, go buy a new router-- and yeah, I should! But i ain't Mr. Moneybags! I like single player easy mode offline gaming! Please stop with the on-line connection thing!

I know what you mean. I got a "free" router from the government for an FCC test of ISPs that craps out all the freaking time. After having it refuse to connect to the net even though I reset the router/modem, and rebooted the PC three times, I said Jarate this and swapped my old router I got at a 2nd hand store for $5 into my setup and it works much better.

yatterman
05-26-2011, 09:21 AM
I don't care too much, but there will probably be a way around it. They should have removed this if you are running it through steam.

Soupias
05-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Oh well, I stopped reading when I reached the GFWL part. That was enough to put me off buying it.