PDA

View Full Version : my GPU is hardly being used in games? why?

compkid22190
05-26-2011, 10:30 PM
In all of my games i play i get dips in frames that i don't really understand why i can't run them with good frames... In rift, no matter where i go it feels laggy and my GPU usage is not fully being used... I also play Leagues of legend and when there is a lot of action going on my frames dip down to where it starts feeling laggy and my GPU usage says the max used is 38%... where as my CPU is only using 35%... i feel this may be the reason im lacking in performance... Below is a picture showing MSI afterburner... *Note* - there is no action going on which is y i have nice frames* ...

System: Windows 7 64 BIT
AMD Phenom x4 965 - 3.4GHZ
8 GIG's ddr3 G.Skill
700W PSU Corsair
BIOSTAR TA790gxa3+

Usage -http://imageshack.us/f/508/usage.jpg/

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

EdgeofSanity
05-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Hey

This is extremely strange! have you updated all you drivers yet? Maybe re-installing the card could be an idea?

compkid22190
05-26-2011, 10:38 PM
I reformatted about a week ago, i installed all drivers... Im currently using 11.5 AMD drivers, iv'e used them all and i get the same issue... i have no idea what it could be.. =/

EdgeofSanity
05-26-2011, 10:45 PM
made sure you've got everything correctly plugged in?

compkid22190
05-26-2011, 10:48 PM
yes i did.

codsniper_01
05-26-2011, 11:22 PM
i with i could force stuff to its maximum when doing things and seeing if that made performance better.

perplexed
05-27-2011, 04:22 AM
well u could try re inserting the gpu into the motherboard ( but only if u know wot yr doin)

sometimes this can help ... also.. try rolling back to slightly older driver..
im using the 10.1 driver set i think ... catactlyst thing
coz the new 1's didnt luike my gpu currently runing a 5670

zwinkletoes
05-27-2011, 05:17 AM
It could simply be that your application does not support multi-core usage or multi-threading or it could also be CPU-bound or GPU bound under the same conditions

Fatimmortal
05-27-2011, 05:53 AM
My guess would be that you have Vsync enabled and it's capping your FPS.

Either that, or the game caps FPS at 30 or 60fps. Well, actually most MMORPGs do that.

HJP
05-27-2011, 07:00 AM
When did the problems appear recently or has it been like that from the beginning? Did you upgrade or change any of the components recently?

YahooElite
05-27-2011, 07:04 AM
Not playing in Full screen mode may be another reason.

Set the on screen display to show that information then play in Full Screen mode, see what results you get.

Another reason could simply be those specific games just arent heavy enough GPU/Graphics wise so its not taxing your system anymore than it currently is.

Rose Online see's pretty much the same results you're currently seeing, but even less than that when it comes to GPU usage, about 15-20% GPU usage, its a great looking game but isnt all that taxing on my or anyone elses system.

compkid22190
05-27-2011, 09:50 AM
thanks for all the replys guys.. This problem has started occuring for a little over a month now, It starts off running great then it just like decreases in performance over time. I have been reading forums and some people say it could possibly be downclocking overtime but that wouldn't make much sense because i'm sure nothing should be bottlenecking. I always play in full screen and Afterburner still says the max GPU is 35% ... Rift is the same way, not using GPU to it's full potential. Idk what to do... Temps are fine as well...

MikeBlaszczak
05-27-2011, 10:03 AM
If it's "hardly being used", why does the temperature keep going up? If the temperature keeps going up, why doesn't the fan throttle up? Sounds like your measurement program isn't working right.

GutterSmurf
05-27-2011, 10:47 AM
have you updated your bios (http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/bios.php?S_ID=395)? might be a compatibility issue with the processor...

ChrisW
05-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Try clicking on the processes tab in Task Manager and see if something else is hogging up the processor.

HurtSauce
05-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Is Afterburner throttling your GPU fan speed to 40%? from the graphs it doesn't move at all, and it looks like it's locked there. Set it to auto and see if that helps (or disable Afterburner completely and run it stock). Also, get some compressed air and blow out your CPU and GPU heatsinks. You may be heat throttled which will cause all sorts of performance problems.

lawldragon
05-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Try turning off paging in Windows. This could be a result of process switching and Windows (stupidly) writing to disk.

YahooElite
05-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Fact is most games dont use a GPU to Full Usage, only game i have that even gets close to doing so is BFBC2 with near max settings.

Perhaps you could ask around, see if anyone has the same setup as you and see what results they get in the same games.

What Resolutions do you play games at? Low Resolutions and Windowed mode will not max out the GPU usage. And as i said before, most games dont do so as it is unless you are playing near max settings at a High Resolution.

Low Res and High Res yield different results as far as GPU usage goes in addition to Graphic games and not so graphic games.