PDA

View Full Version : Activision's going there...

TheRevanchist
05-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Details on "Call of Duty: Elite" on WSJ. Looks like it's $60 plus a monthly fee on top of that? I hope this does not become the norm... :eek:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304563104576355310423496054.html?m od=e2tw

General Balls
05-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Depends on how much they offer for that fee, I suppose. If it's anything like those map packs, though, I wouldn't think it was worth it. Even if I did like Call of Duty nowadays.

skippy72294
05-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Seriously? WTF. You'll have the idiotic 12 year olds who have mommy and daddy buy their modded controllers paying for it so the spoiled little brats stay out of their har.

Cocacola123
05-30-2011, 07:39 PM
There is not characters to type how funny this is.

DarkRanger57
05-30-2011, 07:42 PM
They had the same plan before if I remember correctly.
Its a fail how they compare it to netflix though.
Netflix - A program where you can rent pretty much ANY dvd and watch many movies online
Call of Duty Franchise - Run around shooting people who call you a hacker, then getting a new gun.

The only reason I liked the Call of Duty franchise was because of ♥♥♥♥ Zombies..
Oh well, I saw this coming

CTRL ALT DEL !
05-30-2011, 07:42 PM
I like the way Activision nails the lid on it's own coffin.

That just blew any chance I would ever by another COD game right out of the water.

Tthorlord
05-30-2011, 07:43 PM
all i can think about is all the people calling into xbox wondering why they are still getting charged $8 a month for call of duty after they sold the game...
*sigh*
i hate you activision more than you will ever know.

Achillies
05-30-2011, 07:52 PM
all i can think about is all the people calling into xbox wondering why they are still getting charged $8 a month for call of duty after they sold the game...
*sigh*
i hate you activision more than you will ever know.

Someone works for Microsoft! My Xbox just RRoD'd. Can you get me a free replacement. My warranty expired February :Sadface:

OT: lol

Sgt. Lumpy
05-30-2011, 08:01 PM
It's ironic really. It looks like FPS(es) are going the payment route of MMOs and a lot of MMOs are going free-to-play (or something to that effect).

PowerfulGiraffe
05-30-2011, 08:16 PM
"Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3," and future installments of the hyper-realistic combat-simulation game. In a move industry executives describe as a first, Activision plans to charge a monthly subscription fee for the service NOT hyper realistic and NOT a first, MMOs have been doing this for a long time.

The world has gone mad!

Tthorlord
05-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Someone works for Microsoft! My Xbox just RRoD'd. Can you get me a free replacement. My warranty expired February :Sadface:

OT: lol

i never stated such a thing ;)
...but seriously ♥♥♥♥ you activision...

Baron_Fel
05-30-2011, 08:18 PM
was only a matter of time before they tried it. Hopefullly it falls flat on its face, or they somehow provide a service to the consumer worth the sub fee (doubtful).

SARCASM
05-30-2011, 08:19 PM
Well, Call of Duty, it was a good run, but it looks like this is the end of the road for you.

tiedie
05-30-2011, 08:20 PM
Good stuff, some (stupid) people will pay for that first month to check out the same repetitive trash that was in the previous games then much like DCUO after that first month everyone will be gone.

CTRL ALT DEL !
05-30-2011, 08:23 PM
A fps subscription will fail, nobody will pay when there are better games without the fee's.

Bearkin
05-30-2011, 08:27 PM
A lot of you are dumb. This is Call of Duty, not some unknown indie game. Millions of people
Subscribe to games and services (like WoW) even with a base fee. This will release, people will buy it and subscribe, and it WILL succeed whether you like it or not.

Sgt.Gotee
05-30-2011, 08:29 PM
It begins?

I'm interested to hear of what the subscription might include.

Soldierman1945
05-30-2011, 08:31 PM
I hope Valve keeps MW3 off of Steam.

DudeNtheRoom
05-30-2011, 08:31 PM
Greed has reached a new level in the gaming industry.

CTRL ALT DEL !
05-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Wonder what happens if you chargeback the subscription fee?

DTKT
05-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Seems that what is being reported actually isnt all accurate:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28162957&postcount=343

PowerfulGiraffe
05-30-2011, 08:33 PM
A lot of you are dumb. This is Call of Duty, not some unknown indie game. Millions of people
Subscribe to games and services (like WoW) even with a base fee. This will release, people will buy it and subscribe, and it WILL succeed whether you like it or not.Listen Up "Bearkin" I've worked too hard trashing this series and too long trying to make up sales for low budget games like Battlefield to just give up and let things be. I Will pre-order every single copy of this game only to throw them all away to ensure that nobody has their subscriptions on day one. I will set a full scale boycott of Activision and Bobby Kotick myself alone. Watch me win this too :cool:

Rusty Silver
05-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Though I own all of the COD titles up to now I will not be buying anymore if this is implemented!

CTRL ALT DEL !
05-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Seems that what is being reported actually isnt all accurate:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28162957&postcount=343 The only word that needs to be accurate for this to be 100% fail is subscription.

smash
05-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Steam and Steamworks does this... For free.

PowerfulGiraffe
05-30-2011, 08:37 PM
The only word that needs to be accurate for this to be 100% fail is subscription.Trueee!

Steam and Steamworks does this... For free.You Right!!

Bellcross
05-30-2011, 08:38 PM
A fps subscription will fail, nobody will pay when there are better games without the fee's.

You'd be surprised at how many fools will actually be whiling to pay for the "extra services" for a FPS game.
Also I whiling to bet that they will STILL charge for map packs.

I'm SO glad I'm not a Call of duty fan, Or this would up set me.

smash
05-30-2011, 08:40 PM
You Right!!

I like how the article says "In a move industry executives describe as a first..."

A first in what way? Like I said, Steamworks already provides most of these things listed. Even down to the stats page. I guess the "industry first" is having to pay for this bull♥♥♥♥.

Sgt.Gotee
05-30-2011, 08:40 PM
Greed has reached a new level in the gaming industry.
I don't like Call of Duty anymore and I'm not at all enamored with Activision, but if it wasn't Activision, you can bet it would've been someone else. As much as I defend Valve, they might have helped open the floodgates for this kind of thing with the Mann Co. store; I understand the only unobtainable-in-game items from within the Mann Co. store are cosmetic, but I think it's just a strange cousin from what Activision is (planning on) doing.

What I hate is that it blurs the line to a point where you can't tell if they're withholding content to release specifically for premium access only or not. I get the same feeling from the 'premium services' that Blizzard offers with WoW except it sort of worked doubly there since you're already paying for a subscription.

I'm a pretty avid MMO player and as soon as I feel I'm not receiving my money's worth or am no longer enjoying myself, I move on. I figure this will be the same way. It isn't that difficult to avoid Activision, so I'm not going to doom and gloom for the rest of the industry. I sort of find myself gravitating slowly to smaller titles and companies anyway. Seems they work harder when they have something to lose.

Still, it does stink of greed and I agree, but that's kind of the name of the game (♥♥♥♥ pun, sorry).

OmegaXtreme420
05-30-2011, 08:41 PM
I hope Valve keeps MW3 off of Steam.

valve already took it in the ♥♥♥ by banning console unlocking in mw2 with vac

Baron_Fel
05-30-2011, 08:42 PM
I like how the article says "In a move industry executives describe as a first..."

A first in what way? Like I said, Steamworks already provides most of these things listed. Even down to the stats page. I guess the "industry first" is having to pay for this bull♥♥♥♥.

haha its the wsj, thats the part of it that matters.

CTRL ALT DEL !
05-30-2011, 08:42 PM

A first in what way? Like I said, Steamworks already provides most of these things listed. Even down to the stats page. I guess the "industry first" is having to pay for this bull♥♥♥♥. Where is the autorep button, I want to lock it onto the post.

Jncocontrol
05-30-2011, 08:47 PM
I blame Bobby Kotick, Not activision. His the cancer in video games that need's to be removed. I hope the Head cheeze at Activison fires that prick one day.

EDIT: Wait, he IS the head cheeze. I'm speachless.

CTRL ALT DEL !
05-30-2011, 08:50 PM
New MeMe: Kotick = FAIL

EG. Activision Koticked

vashts1985
05-30-2011, 08:58 PM
basically instead of paying one time fees for DLC you are continually paying them every month for a few maps now and then.

Bellcross
05-30-2011, 09:01 PM
basically instead of paying one time fees for DLC you are continually paying them every month for a few maps now and then.

And Still (possibly, most likely) pay for the Map pack them selfs.

Bearkin
05-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Listen Up "Bearkin" I've worked too hard trashing this series and too long trying to make up sales for low budget games like Battlefield to just give up and let things be. I Will pre-order every single copy of this game only to throw them all away to ensure that nobody has their subscriptions on day one. I will set a full scale boycott of Activision and Bobby Kotick myself alone. Watch me win this too :cool:

But you're forgetting one thing. Bears can eat giraffes, no matter how powerful they are.

Fire2box
05-30-2011, 09:04 PM
"A Billion dollars isn't cool. You know whats cool, a trillion dollars."

The Gaming Network, coming soon. Directed by David Finch.

GirlPower23
05-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Subscribe to games and services (like WoW) even with a base fee. This will release, people will buy it and subscribe, and it WILL succeed whether you like it or not.

Are you seriously comparing an FPS to an MMORPG that offers 100x the content? Thats utterly ridiculous. I'm sure it will be successful endeavor and unfortunately EA Games will jump onto it. Do not however compare an FPS game to an MMORPG. MMORPGs easily have enough content and future content to makeup the 15/mo sub fees. FPS games hardly would ever offer that much content.

DOE_JOHN88
05-30-2011, 09:10 PM
"plans to launch an online service called Call of Duty Elite this fall that will work with the next major edition of the game, "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3," and future installments of the hyper-realistic combat-simulation game."

I stopped reading after that.

trojanrabbit.gg
05-30-2011, 09:12 PM
EPIC FAIL! (http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/9354/codefe.png) :cool:

Crimson Rising
05-30-2011, 09:12 PM
NOT hyper realistic and NOT a first, MMOs have been doing this for a long time.

The world has gone mad!

Yea i stopped reading there. Hyper realistic. Laughing my ♥♥♥♥ing ♥♥♥ off.

Odra
05-30-2011, 09:13 PM
I for one am not surprised.

Coming soon: Per-month bonuses!
Dedicated server license = $20
Extra perk slot = $15
Sprinting fee = $10
Ironsight capability = $5

CTRL ALT DEL !
05-30-2011, 09:16 PM

Extra perk slot = $15
Sprinting fee = $10
Ironsight capability = $5 Next there will be a login fee so people stay online to keep the numbers playing up.

Crimson Rising
05-30-2011, 09:20 PM
I hope someone catches Kotick in the parking lot and put's him in the hospital for good.

Bellcross
05-30-2011, 09:20 PM

Extra perk slot = $15
Sprinting fee = $10
Ironsight capability = $5

lol I can totally see them do all 4 of them too, especially the Dedicated server license one.

Edit: But I think you missed one :Enable Head shot Fee $10

Blackops
05-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Bobby Kotick said the service wouldn't be possible without a fee...what?

Last I checked Black Ops was the best selling game of all time that shattered all kinds of records. Now come on, don't act like you don't have any money.

I'm sure he is about to get a ton of hate mail.

Odra
05-30-2011, 09:21 PM
They could also add fees for voice-com, heck they could even load their next title with a in-game process that targets mumble, vent, ts and others so they can't run at the same time as their game. :eek:

CTRL ALT DEL !
05-30-2011, 09:23 PM
I hope someone catches Kotick in the parking lot and put's him in the hospital for good. You want him to be a resident surgeon?

Blackops
05-30-2011, 09:23 PM
They could also add fees for voice-com, heck they could even load their next title with a in-game process that targets mumble, vent, ts and others so they can't run at the same time as their game. :eek:

The employees at Activision's main building probably have to pay to work there. :p

CTRL ALT DEL !
05-30-2011, 09:25 PM
The employees at Activision's main building probably have to pay to work there. :p No, but they may have to rent their computers.

vashts1985
05-30-2011, 09:25 PM
You want him to be a resident surgeon?

more like someone kicking his ♥♥♥ for being a greedy bastard.

or a reenactment of Deliverance.

take your pick.

Crimson Rising
05-30-2011, 09:28 PM
You want him to be a resident surgeon?

I want him to be a vegetable. Paralyzed and unable to run the company.

CTRL ALT DEL !
05-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Steam should refuse full steamworks intergration for selling a free service.

Azul5
05-30-2011, 09:37 PM
So, if I read everything right, they're pulling a Valve with continuous updates, but charging a ridiculous amount for it? A ridiculous amount for a game that's inherently limited with what it can even do? What can be updated within it that requires huge funds? Skins? Maps? Last I checked, the community can do that stuff themselves. All I see is a company hoping to milk people who don't know any better.

Crimson Rising
05-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Let's see.

$60 for game
$50 for XBL
+ monthly fee for the game?

Go ♥♥♥♥ yourself.

CTRL ALT DEL !
05-30-2011, 09:53 PM
The Kotick maneuver. (http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af298/cuzcatleco21/head-up-butt.png)

Cocacola123
05-30-2011, 09:55 PM
I saw this coming, when enough people support crap things like this happen. Look at Apple, enough sheeps there they got people buy the new XXXX at release. CoD is no different. You shell out so much cash for the same product each year.

IgnoreThisPlox
05-30-2011, 10:13 PM
I'd do it if the game was pretty good, and if I'd find time to play it a lot.

Crimson Rising
05-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Hide yo wife, hide yo kids, and hide yo wallet cuz activision be rapin yo money. Seriously, ♥♥♥♥ you Bobby Kotick.

Cocacola123
05-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Hide yo wife, hide yo kids, and hide yo wallet cuz activision be rapin yo money. Seriously, ♥♥♥♥ you Bobby Kotick.
Don't buy it then, go get RO2. Its gonna be better and it has devs that care about the people not their wallets.

NorthernKingdom
05-30-2011, 10:33 PM
It's ironic really. It looks like FPS(es) are going the payment route of MMOs and a lot of MMOs are going free-to-play (or something to that effect).

If they wanted to continually charge gamers they should have went the free to play route. Allow anyone to play the basic version of the game but have most weapons, rank, unlocks, maps, ect available only if you pay just like those supposedly free mmorpg's. It's a perfect design for that type of game but they know CoD gamers will pay $60 up front and continue to pay even more. CoD gamers will basically accept anything and this game is going to break records again.

Crimson Rising
05-30-2011, 10:33 PM
Don't buy it then, go get RO2. Its gonna be better and it has devs that care about the people not their wallets.

We will see how long that lasts. IW used to be that way. Then look what happened...

GirlPower23
05-30-2011, 10:36 PM
If they wanted to continually charge gamers they should have went the free to play route. Allow anyone to play the basic version of the game but have most weapons, rank, unlocks, maps, ect available only if you pay just like those supposedly free mmorpg's. It's a perfect design for that type of game but they know CoD gamers will pay $60 up front and continue to pay even more. CoD gamers will basically accept anything and this game is going to break records again.

It's quite unlikely to break records. BF3 is coming out about the same time. It will be big competition, plus all the other FPS Games this year released.

Ukurse
05-30-2011, 10:39 PM
I thought that releasing a practically untouched (besides a few more gimmicks here and there) and unfinished version of their previous game each year already Activition's equivalent to a annual fee for CoD, now there will be a monthly fee too...

/Call of Duty

Meallme0
05-30-2011, 10:42 PM
It won't fail. They will make a profit on this.

And through all the suffering that will flow through the gaming community on that day, I shall feast.

Remedyz
05-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Was a given. This surfaced around the time of the Black Ops release. Not surprised it made it to this point. More power to them as I'm sure they'll have their beloved sheep paying for the same game as these last few years.

Smasher816
05-30-2011, 10:47 PM
And i'm sure all the xbox COD fanboys will buy this without thinking just like they do with the same game every year. It will most likely succeed on the consoles but hopefully fail epically on computers.

fyiiamaheavy
05-30-2011, 10:48 PM
sounds like FINAL FANTASY 11 and 14.....

epicphail
05-30-2011, 10:56 PM
they know what they are doing and they will make a crap ton of money and piss off alot of people so they are doing what they do best.

SiMMENS
05-30-2011, 10:58 PM
So, big surprise here! I totally though Madden would be the first franchise to start something like this. I assume they will fall in line though if it works for Activision.

envirovore
05-30-2011, 11:07 PM
It's Activision and CoD...are we really surprised by this?
What's sad is people will pay it as well, hundreds of thousands of people at that.

/preemptively points at all the morons that are going to buy this and laughs.

hoilst
05-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Ah, when the WSJ's raving about it, you know it must be good!

Another feature of the service will give "Call of Duty" players tools, modeled on those from stock-trading websites,

Fan-♥♥♥♥ing-tastic!

Cocacola123
05-30-2011, 11:36 PM
We will see how long that lasts. IW used to be that way. Then look what happened...
Activision happened, TWI is their own dev and publisher.

kami790
05-30-2011, 11:53 PM
Who started the 60 dollar trend?

Who started the 15 dollar map pack trend?

Who's going to start the charging monthly fees for one game that doesn't run on high-maintenance servers trend?

Thanks for the ♥♥♥♥ty memories Activision.

GirlPower23
05-30-2011, 11:57 PM

Blizzard probably did. It was probably Vivendi whom influenced the price tag on Activisions games actually. I'm not defending Activision here however you should be blaming the parent company in this case.

The 15USD for a mappack is not a trend either. Very few developers overcharge for mappacks. DLC/Micro Transactions can also be blamed on the Eastern part of the world. Where it is common place to have Micro Stores that sold things for their games including FPS Games.

Naruzuru
05-31-2011, 12:42 AM
This is actually kind of funny. Well ,there's a chance kids with a whole lot of money to throw around will ruin my dream, but here's hoping MW3 will fall flat on Activision's greedy face :D

Firestorm998
05-31-2011, 12:57 AM
This is actually kind of funny. Well ,there's a chance kids with a whole lot of money to throw around will ruin my dream, but here's hoping MW3 will fall flat on Activision's greedy face :D
I truly think CoD has a few years of mileage left. The kids just can't get enough of it and there is a large social aspect to it.
I've tried showing my son BF as an alternative and although he does like it, non of his friends play it and that is the key issue for him.
A glimmer on the horizon is that when they play, they seem to be having more fun with eachother than actually playing. He told me he gets bored playing MW2 and that him and his mates did notice that it was essentially a clone of MW1 and non of them like BlOps.

With regards to this thread. He will not be playing subscribed games of any kind.

Excygy
05-31-2011, 01:15 AM
"...hyper-realistic combat-simulation game..."

and i thought it was an arcade-shooter game.....

velvetmeds
05-31-2011, 01:18 AM
That's why it's hyper oh em gee! Activision and their ideas..

CTRL ALT DEL !
05-31-2011, 01:24 AM

and i thought it was an arcade-shooter game..... Thats probably because it's an arcade-shooter game, but I could be wrong about that*.

*maybe you don't have crosshairs and have to take windage and range into account?

Sgt.Gotee
05-31-2011, 02:49 AM
An apparently 'leaked' trailer of Elite has shown up. I don't know if it's cool to post here or not.

It's an absolutely horrendous presentation. About 5 minutes longer than it really had to be.

Lister
05-31-2011, 03:01 AM
Cool i will just pick up BF3

Problem Act♥♥♥♥ion?

Howler54 II
05-31-2011, 03:08 AM
Damn.

R.I.P CoD

0'M4ll3y
05-31-2011, 03:13 AM

It's a $120 trend in Australia :(

Our dollars are of equal value :o

Antikythera
05-31-2011, 06:42 AM

You''d be surprised ...

and i thought it was an arcade-shooter game.....

Hyper Realism =/= Realism, or being Realistic.

GirlPower23
05-31-2011, 07:49 AM
Hyper Realism =/= Realism, or being Realistic.

Hyper Realism is as close as you can get before you can make something a reality. CoD is far from being able to produce that on a graphical, sound, or physics level. Everything about the game is fake and nothing feels real. The game doesn't even attempt to be moderately real. It's an arcade shooter at best. Thus it's funny to even say that.

real4xor
05-31-2011, 07:55 AM
LOL
The hell do they think they got there? World of Warcraft?

ah well, I guess they just need an excuse to stop the franchise. What better way than to blame the customers for not paying?

:/ I don`t think anyone`s going to be stupid enough to buy this stuff and be tied to fees.

Apply
05-31-2011, 08:01 AM
Because the employees golden statues weren't big enough already.

MrChris
05-31-2011, 08:06 AM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

so much... I don't know, lolworthyness, like looking at my cats face and thinking HA

its funny because I bet a lot of stupid people will actually pay for this ♥♥♥♥ and Activision will entice more people by dividing the community through paid map packs

oohhh and then the number of xbox tards crying to their mothers to buy them a sub on top of their live one hahahaha

I will enjoy BF3 and laugh from a safe distance and only hope that this terrible affair does not drive more CoD players to BF3

there are still going to be suckers paying for it

edit: lol it will even have tips on weapons and map strategy, so every page will just be hold fire and run around?

GirlPower23
05-31-2011, 08:26 AM
http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3/news/call-of-duty-elite-officially-announced-socially-networks-your-cod-is-a-lot-like-bungienet-but-with-paid-for-content/a-20110531142132726075/g-20110513154613130025

Basically is a Paid Social Networking Premium Service. Basically it's what Steam is but costs money. Steam has everything in there for free. It's nice to be a Valve/Steam Fangirl and it takes people like Activision to remind me that is nice we get so much for free.

real4xor
05-31-2011, 08:30 AM
Basically is a Paid Social Networking Premium Service.

Gahhhh, that ugly combination of words again...

I`m glad Steam just has a community. Instead of a '"social" networking service'.
And it`s free too. ^^ and they even manage to throw in a free DLC once in a while.

lazy6pyro
05-31-2011, 08:34 AM
http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3/news/call-of-duty-elite-officially-announced-socially-networks-your-cod-is-a-lot-like-bungienet-but-with-paid-for-content/a-20110531142132726075/g-20110513154613130025

Basically is a Paid Social Networking Premium Service. Basically it's what Steam is but costs money. Steam has everything in there for free. It's nice to be a Valve/Steam Fangirl and it takes people like Activision to remind me that is nice we get so much for free.

It's similar to steam but also offers more and specifically targeted data. Things like the kill projections and gun recommendations based on play style is an example of this level of interactivity. However, all of this is nothing you can't learn from a forum of people experimenting on different weapons.

GirlPower23
05-31-2011, 08:36 AM
It's similar to steam but also offers more and specifically targeted data. Things like the kill projections and gun recommendations based on play style is an example of this level of interactivity. However, all of this is nothing you can't learn from a forum of people experimenting on different weapons.

I'm sure Steamworks could integrate all that though. In any case I don't see how any of it warrants a paid subscription fee.

TangledThorns
05-31-2011, 08:36 AM
Meh, I'll play MM3 for the single player but will stay with BF3 for the multiplayer. I hope EA doesn't get greedy...

Crimson Rising
05-31-2011, 08:38 AM
So basically this does what Bungie.net and gamebattles does for free only you have to pay? LOLOLOL

Second they say something like this couldn't be done before thus it costs money. You need us to pay for it? You people don't have enough money to fund this yourselves you greedy bastards?

GirlPower23
05-31-2011, 08:42 AM
Second they say something like this couldn't be done before thus it costs money. You need us to pay for it? You people don't have enough money to fund this yourselves you greedy bastards?

Blizzard likes to use that line to. They announced a Premium Cross Realm invite service but it will cost a monthly sub. "Because it took a lot of effort and couldn't be done before."

Crimson Rising
05-31-2011, 08:45 AM
Blizzard likes to use that line to. They announced a Premium Cross Realm invite service but it will cost a monthly sub. "Because it took a lot of effort and couldn't be done before."

Pretty lame excuse.

MrChris
05-31-2011, 08:48 AM
hahaha and to think games have been doing it for so long and for free, you could just go to a site like BF2s for BF2 and that was YEARS ago

I bet it took them so much work and hours, as much as it did to make IWNet, I feel really sorry for them

not

alehm
05-31-2011, 09:39 AM
The only way Activision could get any cooler is if they sold the game for $20 but if you wanted the .Exe to actually install the game it was a $80 DLC download.

Bearkin
05-31-2011, 09:48 AM
Are you seriously comparing an FPS to an MMORPG that offers 100x the content? Thats utterly ridiculous. I'm sure it will be successful endeavor and unfortunately EA Games will jump onto it. Do not however compare an FPS game to an MMORPG. MMORPGs easily have enough content and future content to makeup the 15/mo sub fees. FPS games hardly would ever offer that much content.

So? People pay lots of money to subscribe to porn which they could get for free. Lots of people don't care about their money.

Jncocontrol
05-31-2011, 09:49 AM
Pretty lame excuse.

How much i love Blizzard. I agree, They get paid 1 million dollars a day (if not more) and they expect more money. Yeah it's opinional, But it's the fundamentle basis that angers me.
plus,good lord, how could you need MORE money. You make more money in 1 year than what most company's make in their lifetime.

And incase anyone cares, Blizzards make off WOW about 1.7 Billion dollars a year

tibetanpunk
05-31-2011, 09:54 AM

Dude...They might be watching! Don't give them ideas!

Reminds me of Bill Hicks rant about marketing back in 1990...

By the way if anyone here is in advertising or marketing... kill yourself.

No, no, no it's just a little thought. I'm just trying to plant seeds. Maybe one day, they'll take root - I don't know. You try, you do what you can. Kill yourself.

Seriously though, if you are, do.

Aaah, no really, there's no rationalisation for what you do and you are Satan's little helpers. Okay - kill yourself - seriously. You are the ruiner of all things good, seriously. No this is not a joke, you're going, "there's going to be a joke coming," there's no ♥♥♥♥ing joke coming. You are Satan's spawn filling the world with bile and garbage. You are ♥♥♥♥ed and you are ♥♥♥♥ing us. Kill yourself. It's the only way to save your ♥♥♥♥ing soul, kill yourself.

Planting seeds. I know all the marketing people are going, "he's doing a joke..." there's no joke here whatsoever. Suck a tail-pipe, ♥♥♥♥ing hang yourself, borrow a gun from a Yank friend - I don't care how you do it. Rid the world of your evil ♥♥♥♥ing makinations. Machi... Whatever, you know what I mean.

I know what all the marketing people are thinking right now too, "Oh, you know what Bill's doing, he's going for that anti-marketing dollar. That's a good market, he's very smart."

Oh man, I am not doing that. You ♥♥♥♥ing evil scumbags!

"Ooh, you know what Bill's doing now, he's going for the righteous indignation dollar. That's a big dollar. A lot of people are feeling that indignation. We've done research - huge market. He's doing a good thing."

Godammit, I'm not doing that, you scum-bags! Quit putting a godamm dollar sign on every ♥♥♥♥ing thing on this planet!

"Ooh, the anger dollar. Huge. Huge in times of recession. Giant market, Bill's very bright to do that."

God, I'm just caught in a ♥♥♥♥ing web.

"Ooh the trapped dollar, big dollar, huge dollar. Good market - look at our research. We see that many people feel trapped. If we play to that and then separate them into the trapped dollar..."

How do you live like that? And I bet you sleep like ♥♥♥♥ing babies at night, don't you?

"What didya do today honey?"

"Oh, we made ah, we made ah arsenic a childhood food now, goodnight." [snores] "Yeah we just said you know is your baby really too loud? You know?" [snores] "Yeah, you know the mums will love it." [snores]

Sleep like ♥♥♥♥ing children, don't ya, this is your world isn't it?

aw3524
05-31-2011, 09:56 AM
plus,good lord, how could you need MORE money. You make more money in 1 year than what most company's make in their lifetime.
How do you think they make that money? Charitable donations?

ssj4brandon
05-31-2011, 10:10 AM
It's still free to play MP but if you want all the other stuff you have to pay for it.

http://twitter.com/#!/SHGames

Sledgehammer Games
@SHGames Sledgehammer Games

COD Elite will be free to all COD players – paid aspects TBD, and as promised, no charge for MP. Many more details in the AM

BF3 FTW!!!

Jncocontrol
05-31-2011, 11:31 PM
How do you think they make that money? Charitable donations?

I dunno if this is Sarcasm, But i already said "They make 1.7 Billion off WOW per year".

Ballin
05-31-2011, 11:36 PM
I love how they had a ♥♥♥♥♥♥ commentator for the trailer to make it seem rad when it's just something incredibly dull. I wont fall for this kind of crap and won't be getting call of duty "elite"

Steam ftw

JimmyBananers
06-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Cod died with MW2. COD4 was good the rest of it is crap and i'm sick of it but don't underestimate people willing to waste money on it.

Kids will be getting their parents to buy it, fanboys will get it, and people who are in a gaming drought cause there's nothing else to play.

It will probably succeed and there will be something else for me to hate about the world.

MADDOGGE
06-01-2011, 08:18 AM
So it's Activisions version of GFWL. Didn't work for M$ don't see it working for anyone else.

velvetmeds
06-01-2011, 08:19 AM
GFWL is free

aw3524
06-01-2011, 10:16 AM
I dunno if this is Sarcasm, But i already said "They make 1.7 Billion off WOW per year".
OK, so you realize they make money by selling something people want. Knowing that, how could anyone make 'enough' money? What does that mean?

epsylon_Z1
06-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Details on "Call of Duty: Elite" on WSJ. Looks like it's $60 plus a monthly fee on top of that? I hope this does not become the norm... :eek:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304563104576355310423496054.html?m od=e2twThey will sell more than 250000 copies on the first day .

Saul Malone
06-01-2011, 10:20 AM
With every new installment, players have shown that they are willing to part with more and more money for the Call of Duty experience, so there's really no reason not to charge them more. They'll still pay for it.

bes
06-01-2011, 10:26 AM
http://170869.com/activision-to-push-their-luck-with-call-of-duty-elite-subscription-package-forbes-blog-2

Activision CEO(AKA Bobby Kotick) needs to burn in hell ... MW3 looked pretty good ...in the game play vids ...but then they pull this crap and im not gonna bite ..

Im going for BF3 ...unless the same BS happens to BF3...

Pebr
06-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Not interested in the franchise for plenty of reasons other than price. Wouldn't buy any of the games, old or new, even if they were $5 on steam...

Just shows how much attention the actual games are getting versus the marketing and business aspect. I'd really like to see the internal financial costs of game development vs. marketing/advertising/business/etc. I'd be willing to be it's something like 25/75 or 30/70.

hoilst
06-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Probably been posted but...really? Call of Duty Elite subscribers to get Web TV show featuring "top Hollywood talent." (http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/01/call-of-duty-elite-subscribers-to-get-cod-web-tv-series-featuring-top-hollywood-talent/)

This. This is everything I find abhorrent about modern game making, and it makes me ♥♥♥♥ing pray for another VG crash.

masta121
06-01-2011, 11:20 AM
GFWL is free

It wasn't originally.

Kibblesman
06-01-2011, 01:31 PM
All the more reason to stick with CS.

EDIT: Or go with BF3.

VividNinjaScar
06-02-2011, 03:44 AM
It wasn't originally.

PC-PC always was, but cross-platform cost money.

AlphaFox
06-02-2011, 03:46 AM
"hyper-realistic combat-simulation game"

???

Ciuvaz
06-02-2011, 05:10 AM
All the more reason to stick with CS.

EDIT: Or go with BF3.

basicly this