PDA

View Full Version : Looks interesting but not at US$89.99

Lavec
05-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Not when I can get Dungeon Siege III for US$49.99 or countless other new releases at standard NA price.

Get with the programme Bethesda, Australians are no longer silly enough to pay almost double for games.

If the reviews come in good, I'll order this from dvd.co.uk for about US$40. I'll have to wait a few days but worth the $50 saving.

And it's a Steamworks game so it'll be as if I bought it on Steam anyway. Plain stupid to make us go through so many hoops if you ask me.

stoz
05-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Couldn't agree more. I wasn't really interested in this particular game, but it always makes me sad whenever I see a $90 game on steam.

Kagetakai
05-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Aussies have to pay 90$ for this? Really?

KILLfactor
05-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Not for long, Aus government is now (since this week) looking into publishers like this and will hopefully prevent Aussies getting ripped of for much longer.

imbluekay
05-30-2011, 09:55 PM
90$ ?! What the ♥♥♥♥?

Kagetakai
05-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Not for long, Aus government is now (since this week) looking into publishers like this and will hopefully prevent Aussies getting ripped of for much longer.

All the power to you guys then. Thats just simply ridiculous..

spankdaddi
05-30-2011, 10:47 PM

I only heard this was in motion. Does anyone have links which can confirm this?

EDIT - bit off topic sorry ahaha

xnytrox
05-30-2011, 11:18 PM

Really really. Whats saddening is that Bethesda isn't the only publisher who thinks its fine to jack up the prices a ridiculous amount.

You know what this is called? It's called racism. Treating others differently because of their nationality ;)

/sarcasm

Edit: Seems a few people needed that last line

Jashin
05-30-2011, 11:37 PM
Really really. Whats saddening is that Bethesda isn't the only publisher who thinks its fine to jack up the prices a ridiculous amount. You know what this is called? It's called racism. Treating others differently because of their nationality ;)

rofl wtf is this

chippyaus
05-30-2011, 11:44 PM
well it does suck and I just said F it and got it from ebay for $35AUD. no DLC but not paying 70AUD for the US box copy from amazon for the DLC (cheapest that would post to AUS seeing UK amazon doesnt want to...)

redcap036
05-31-2011, 01:13 AM
rofl wtf is this

Ok so you can explain it better?
you have some in sight that we can't see?
well?

velsoft
05-31-2011, 02:01 AM
Should move to NZ ;)

xnytrox
05-31-2011, 02:23 AM
rofl wtf is this

It's me replying to another poster about the topic of the increased price set for Australians. Problem?

Jashin
05-31-2011, 02:54 AM
It's me replying to another poster about the topic of the increased price set for Australians. Problem?

Yeah and what u said is crazy. You basically made sh*t up and said it's cus "they hate us," which is often times followed by other ignorant ramblings like "and our way of life."

It's basically an excuse for knowing nothing.

thyco1
05-31-2011, 03:14 AM
i only paied the NA price as i knew about the game from when it was announced ( ironically) at blizzcon 09 or 10 and preodered it (and brink) the moment they came up on steam. The only problem now is that the greedy publizhers are making sure that when a game goes up on steam the price is jacked up straight away as seen with DNF and Warhammer Spacemarine.

Ozgameshop and playasia ahoy!

Xirvus.rei
05-31-2011, 03:17 AM
I only heard this was in motion. Does anyone have links which can confirm this?

EDIT - bit off topic sorry ahaha

Great news.

Lol, how is this off-topic? The very issue at the heart of this thread is the price-gouging that occurs with digital distribution for Australians.

Australian consumer group Choice (has quite a lot to say about what consumers pay for what in Australia) also mentioned the ridiculous unfairness of over-inflated pricing of DIGITAL goods.

knocks_
05-31-2011, 03:29 AM
No sale.

xnytrox
05-31-2011, 04:53 AM
Yeah and what u said is crazy. You basically made sh*t up and said it's cus "they hate us," which is often times followed by other ignorant ramblings like "and our way of life."

Cool story bro. But it does not show my ignorance and neither did I 'make sh*t up' as you put it. In case you miss understood, it was meant to be taken as a joke. To be serious, the increase in price is there simply because the Australian economy has been shown to cope with the prices, and the games sell. This has always been the case. Now that we have digital distribution, the distributors think that we should pay retail price for an inferior product which costs them less. Either way you look at it, we're paying our the ♥♥♥ and it is unfair. Try not to get too worked up about these things mate, I was only voicing my opinion. Isn't that the whole point of a forum? ;)

Red Sparowe
05-31-2011, 08:30 AM
Really really. Whats saddening is that Bethesda isn't the only publisher who thinks its fine to jack up the prices a ridiculous amount. You know what this is called? It's called racism. Treating others differently because of their nationality ;)

It's actually your government's fault. They make it ridiculously difficult for publishers to release M-rated games in Australia. As posted above, it's being reevaluated.

Murdats
05-31-2011, 09:48 AM
It's actually your government's fault. They make it ridiculously difficult for publishers to release M-rated games in Australia. As posted above, it's being reevaluated.

And what has that got to do with buying a US product from a US store in US dollars?

Incendia
05-31-2011, 10:36 AM

...nationalism?

DixieFlatline01
05-31-2011, 11:09 AM
Wow, $90 what the hell?! Good luck getting those prices down, Aussies, sounds like you guys need some consumer protection. That price seems exploitative no matter how you look at it!

VA1N
05-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Wow, I had no idea it was that bad for you guys. That's crazy they are allowed to do that with video games.

Spylander
05-31-2011, 12:33 PM

I hope this is sarcasm.

Spylander
05-31-2011, 12:36 PM
And what has that got to do with buying a US product from a US store in US dollars?

They have to pay more to release an unedited M rated game in AUS.

You are buying a US game from a US suppler outside of the US, meaning they have to do more to get you the product.

This is actually counter productive to the publisher making money considering how many more copies they would sell in your country if they could offer the same product at a reasonable price.

Bandal
05-31-2011, 12:56 PM
The minimum wage in Australia is $16.06 which is 222% more than than the minimum wage in the US ($7.25). Australians only have to pay 192% of what Americans do for this game so it seems like you are getting the better deal. I don't know about job availability or the cost of living in Australia but I doubt it's worse than it is the US.

Red Sparowe
05-31-2011, 01:37 PM

Legislation.

TheXWolf
05-31-2011, 03:15 PM
There was an article done by Dr. Mark Melatos PhD - University of Sydney. (Mind you I'm from the US, but I still read up on this stuff.) Everything from supply & damand; the inelastic demand from Aus, to regulation costs and volatile exchange rates, to taxes and duties, distribution and transit costs. The short version is, it costs more to get the game there, it's (according to both stocks and the industry) harder to sell certain games there. (Especially M games...) There's even something called transfer pricing that companies use to lower their tax bills.

I'm not trying to defend the industry, but when I saw the derisive and absurd comment about racism; I felt I had no choice but to comment. Red simply said Legislation, it's a very short answer but there is a point to it. Can you buy a US product with US dollars and have it sent outside the US? Short answer: Only sometimes.

Spylander said they have to pay more to release an unedited M rated game in AUS. This is entirely They have to pay more to release an unedited M rated game in AUS. This is entirely true. Bethesda isn't the only company to do this, and if they plan on sticking to their profit margin, they pretty much have to. Some companies can get away with keeping the price normalized since AUD and USD are somewhat close, but others can't simply afford to and will stick by exactly what they have to do. I hope my answer clears things up for the OP and other people reading this...though as you can see, I'm rarely on here so don't expect me to see a reply.

xnytrox
05-31-2011, 03:45 PM
There was an article done by Dr. Mark Melatos PhD - University of Sydney. (Mind you I'm from the US, but I still read up on this stuff.) Everything from supply & damand; the inelastic demand from Aus, to regulation costs and volatile exchange rates, to taxes and duties, distribution and transit costs. The short version is, it costs more to get the game there, it's (according to both stocks and the industry) harder to sell certain games there. (Especially M games...) There's even something called transfer pricing that companies use to lower their tax bills.

I'm not trying to defend the industry, but when I saw the derisive and absurd comment about racism; I felt I had no choice but to comment. Red simply said Legislation, it's a very short answer but there is a point to it. Can you buy a US product with US dollars and have it sent outside the US? Short answer: Only sometimes.

Spylander said they have to pay more to release an unedited M rated game in AUS. This is entirely They have to pay more to release an unedited M rated game in AUS. This is entirely true. Bethesda isn't the only company to do this, and if they plan on sticking to their profit margin, they pretty much have to. Some companies can get away with keeping the price normalized since AUD and USD are somewhat close, but others can't simply afford to and will stick by exactly what they have to do. I hope my answer clears things up for the OP and other people reading this...though as you can see, I'm rarely on here so don't expect me to see a reply.

Umm no. What you fail to realise is that there are ZERO taxes for games sold online via steam or any other digital outlet overseas for Australians. The sole reason for the price increase is to match the retail outlets price and to prevent competition between digital and retail, despite the fact that therr are no packaging costs, no taxes and many less middle men taking their cut.

And by the way, you thought I was serious about the racism comment? Might want to check your sarcasm filter buddy.

You are buying a US game from a US suppler outside of the US, meaning they have to do more to get you the product.

This is actually counter productive to the publisher making money considering how many more copies they would sell in your country if they could offer the same product at a reasonable price.

Could I get a source on this please? Because the way I see it, it doesn't cost any more money to distribute DIGITALLY which is the type we are talking about here. Explain to me, or reference me to a source, where it proves that it costs more to download for us because of our geographic location or because a game is rated M.

dozerking
05-31-2011, 04:03 PM

I think the word you are looking for is Xenophobic, which isn't the case here. It's called lousy trade laws, which is why the pricing isn't adjusted.

The last thing the Publishers want to do is overcharge and alienate potential customers. There is an issue with International trade and digital distribution... and I don't see anything being done about it, since high demand international commodity trading seems to be the only focus at summit meetings.

xnytrox
05-31-2011, 04:13 PM
I think the word you are looking for is Xenophobic, which isn't the case here. It's called lousy trade laws, which is why the pricing isn't adjusted.

First, it IS adjusted. As I said before, the reason for this is to match brick and motar stores to prevent competition. THEIR reason for high prices is taxes, middle men and stupid trade laws, which have no impact on the digital distribution, only retail.

The last thing the Publishers want to do is overcharge and alienate potential customers. There is an issue with International trade and digital distribution... and I don't see anything being done about it, since high demand international commodity trading seems to be the only focus at summit meetings.

Then why is it that it is only a few publishers that increase the price depending on country?

dozerking
05-31-2011, 04:42 PM
First, it IS adjusted. As I said before, the reason for this is to match brick and motar stores to prevent competition. THEIR reason for high prices is taxes, middle men and stupid trade laws, which have no impact on the digital distribution, only retail.

Then why is it that it is only a few publishers that increase the price depending on country?

From what I understand, it's not adjusted using the actual FOREX currency market. It's just a 1 to 1 transfer with all the fees passed down to the consumer. If you Country charges 15% more in taxes or has a VAT etc, of course the Publishers are going to pass that down to the consumer.

Every time a game comes out, this topic gets brought up, and the only answer I ever hear is that the Publisher cannot sell something digitally using a true currency converter, and that it has something to do with Where the publisher is located (not all are in the US, some in Canada and Europe) and what agreement they have with your Country. The bottom line is, your buying power isn't the same as someone living in another country, so it's never going to be completely fair, nor do they sell enough to probably care either. If it's that much cheaper to get a box from online retailers or brick and mortar, I'd use that, period. It's clear that until STEAM runs out of your Country, you're gonna get screwed.

xnytrox
05-31-2011, 06:11 PM
From what I understand, it's not adjusted using the actual FOREX currency market. It's just a 1 to 1 transfer with all the fees passed down to the consumer. If you Country charges 15% more in taxes or has a VAT etc, of course the Publishers are going to pass that down to the consumer.

Every time a game comes out, this topic gets brought up, and the only answer I ever hear is that the Publisher cannot sell something digitally using a true currency converter, and that it has something to do with Where the publisher is located (not all are in the US, some in Canada and Europe) and what agreement they have with your Country. The bottom line is, your buying power isn't the same as someone living in another country, so it's never going to be completely fair, nor do they sell enough to probably care either. If it's that much cheaper to get a box from online retailers or brick and mortar, I'd use that, period. It's clear that until STEAM runs out of your Country, you're gonna get screwed.

Do you understand that there are no taxes for Australians for digital purchases. The extra money acquired from the increase goes directly into the publishes pockets. Check the store for yourself; there are many games with a price set that sticks no matter where you are globally. It's only certain publishers which increase it. If what you were saying is true, then all games, regardless of publishers, would be priced according to region. But they are not.

Enska
05-31-2011, 06:43 PM
Bethesda aren't the only ones that do it.
2K,EA,Acti they all do it. hell MW2 is still $90 for Australians.

Lavec
05-31-2011, 08:33 PM

Well clearly it's got nothing to do with racism or xenophobea but I think you exagerate how much more it costs to release a game in Australia. The cost of getting a game rated here is negligeable costing from $400 to $2000 depending on how detailed the submission is. It all boils down to maximizing profits really and market forces. The publishers are free to set whatever price they want and they will set it at a price that will maximise profits based on sales and profit margin. If they could sell a single copy for more profit than 10,000 copies they would. While they feel a majority of Aussie gamers are happy to pay double price the price won't go down. And this is where I think they are wrong; they could increase their profit margin by lowering the price, and they need to anyway to offset the losses through digital channels and cheap imports. I think more and more gamers are resorting to other means to get fair priced games and it is killing the local industry if they don't react. I believe there is little the government can do to regulate this as it is part of a free market economy.

If anything was to change on Steam it needs to come from the US which should regulate the online digital trade not to be allowed to charge a different price for exactly the same service to different regions around the world. This was justifiable when you had to actually export something physical but it is totally unjustifiable for digital product. Same goes for any other country in the world offering digital products - it needs to be an international price except for local taxes if applicable.

Back to the local market, you say some companies can keep it normalised and others can't - that just doesn't make sense. What's more is all companies charge more for off the shelf games, just some not for digital sales and this has a lot to do with not thinking that a Steam sale is a lost local sale, which I don't believe is the case. If I can't buy on Steam, I'll import instead, it won't make me buy at local prices because Steam is also priced that way, and I think I speak for the majority of Steam users here. So having a reasonable Steam price will turn Australian gamers from buying cheap UK imports to actually paying more on Steam of which there is no tax and there is a very nice profit margin for the publisher. It is in their interest to have Steam prices the same as US prices.

Murdats
05-31-2011, 08:41 PM

Then
1. why is it only some publishers that do this
2. why did this issue not exist before steam introduced regioning
3. why does this not effect any non-regioning store or any other foreign store like the UK based ozgameshop?
4. THEY dont have to do more to get me the product as I am not buying from anyone that has anything to do with australia, if Bethesda or whoever has Australian branches I am not dealing with them, I have to do more to get me this product, and I do that by paying more for our crappy internet.

In this case I bear the extra cost of 'shipping' and that should be the only extra cost involved as I am importing a product like anything else.

If I was to buy a fancy pen from a US store, would they go "oh wait, you are in Australia, here is our special Australia price"?

Also the main offenders are 2k, bethesda, THQ, Ubisoft and Activision, everyone else tends to be pretty good, even EA.

irogue
05-31-2011, 08:49 PM
Not when I can get Dungeon Siege III for US$49.99 or countless other new releases at standard NA price.

Get with the programme Bethesda, Australians are no longer silly enough to pay almost double for games.

If the reviews come in good, I'll order this from dvd.co.uk for about US$40. I'll have to wait a few days but worth the $50 saving.

And it's a Steamworks game so it'll be as if I bought it on Steam anyway. Plain stupid to make us go through so many hoops if you ask me.

You nailed it mate, more and more aussies are getting games elsewhere that are regional price inflated.

I have not bought one game that is regional price inflated via steam or anywhere else for that matter.

I blame the ppl (aswell as the bricks and mortar shops / retail stores who lobby the govt and distributors / publishers to infalte prices here) who actually pay the inflated price as it keeps publishers and distributors alike confident that it is the right thing to do.

+Karma on the post.

As for paying more for a different release in the australian region that is a cop out excuse the sum of money payed for that is peanuts / chicken feed and not worth a bat of the eye lid.

Us australians have heard all excuses given to us before, we are not that naive or ignorant to the slop of excuses so stop trying to feed that rubbish.

JackDownAHill
05-31-2011, 11:32 PM
If I was to buy a fancy pen from a US store, would they go "oh wait, you are in Australia, here is our special Australia price"?

Exactly, I asked them about the brink price and why it went from $50 to $90 overnight :eek: and they said,
We appreciate your feedback regarding the pricing in Steam. Prices in the Steam Store are set on a region by region basis. The price and currency displayed are the set prices for those games based on your location. We are always working with publishers to adjust prices to be in line with what can be found at local retailers and online shops.

What bs is that? Why would I buy a digital copy of a game when I can get it cheaper and in a hard-copy with more stuff? :confused:

Steam is losing it...

irogue
05-31-2011, 11:40 PM
Exactly, I asked them about the brink price and why it went from $50 to $90 overnight :eek: and they said,

What bs is that? Why would I buy a digital copy of a game when I can get it cheaper and in a hard-copy with more stuff? :confused:

Steam is losing it...

yeh the logic is backwards, maybe there is just so many ppl who are purchasing it with more money than sense for the inflated regional price hikes as they are compulsive shoppers or just un informed.

http://www.ozgameshop.com/pc-games/hunted-the-demons-forge-game-pc

Hunted The Demons Forge Game PC

$36.99 free delivery hard copy, Australian dollars go figure..

Idryss
06-01-2011, 12:50 AM
It is all about morons. Morons don't shop around. They pay the EB price and think themseleves smart if they pay the JB price. Both stupidly high. So, beause they are willing to pay these prices, the wholesaler see's this and says, "Hey! I can get a bigger cut". So, he jacks his prices up somewhat (say from $20-40). This is passed on. Publishers see this and say, "Hey! They are willing to pay this. Where is our cut!" So, they jack up their physical copies prices for our market (forcing others obviously to shave their margins somewhat) and match the digital copies so they can sell their physical copies AND so that their chain from them to the shops keeps stocking their stuff.

So back to the morons. If they SHOPPED AROUND they would have been improrting for the last 5-10 years from the UK or even the US. Forcing the publishers, retailers, wholesailers etc to look at themselves and think themselves morons rather than smart cookies. So go blame the mums and dads who pay stupid retail. Blame your friends. Blame yourself whilst you are at it.

AwayToHit
06-01-2011, 01:01 AM
Seriously wth is Australia keeps getting ♥♥♥♥♥ in the /$%?& when it comes to game pricing???

Oken
06-01-2011, 01:46 AM
Australians are not the only who paye more, Europeans too.
A 50$ game is sold 50Ä.
Except that 50$=35Ä. Europeans are paying 75$ for a game sold 50 in the US.

Overal it's easy, if you don't live in the US, you paye twice ^^

Dark Cypher
06-02-2011, 02:22 AM

I think you missed /sarcasm.

Dark Cypher
06-02-2011, 02:26 AM

What would you know. Give me a few links with references that support your argument but keep you generalized opinions to yourself.

Dark Cypher
06-02-2011, 02:31 AM

Steam is losing it...

Agree there, many steamites have been trying for a few years to boost steam cred by saying steam are blameless but comments like those indicate steam is working WITH publishers to screw us.

Lavec
06-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Agree there, many steamites have been trying for a few years to boost steam cred by saying steam are blameless but comments like those indicate steam is working WITH publishers to screw us.

Well of course they work with publishers but I've always felt they could stand up for gamers and some principles too. It does Steam no favours to play along with the publishers wishes and have games more expensive than local prices (even though they believe they are the same prices, all local stores have $10-$30 permanent discounts off rrp in Australia). Publishers are USING Steam to try and boost local sales. Steam are being taken for a ride.

sayne77
06-03-2011, 03:03 PM

Yes, but Assies are not a race are they... That's probably what he meant. I'm pretty sure there are 'races' within Australia that exist elsewhere and buy the game for less, so no, not rascism, and thats probably what he wondered about. And in all his right too.

worldcitizen777
06-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Wow, $90 what the hell?! Good luck getting those prices down, Aussies, sounds like you guys need some consumer protection. That price seems exploitative no matter how you look at it!

Exactly! Greed is the only reason games are almost double in Australia. Look at the exchange rate! It's selling on D2D for $49.95 about $45 Australian if you do conversion. So we're made to pay $90 exactly double??? No reason except outright exploitation and greed. It's racism because the human race is only ONE. There is only ONE human species but according to publishers it's AMERICAN. At the very most you slap on GST bringing it to $49 not $90.

tixe
06-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Those that support steam prices, go to direct2drive and see how the prices are supposed to be. That company also pay like 7% affiliate comissions and give out coupons with sometimes a 50% discount on games like RIFT! Rift is 49.99euro at Steam store and 40.69 euro at direct2drive. Now add 50% off or 7% affiliate comission to that..

Also look at steam's games! Valve own Steam, Valve release Portal2, Valve does the exactly the same thing as they say "publishers" do. Valve is a publisher! They publish all kind of cs/portal games with a $1=€1 ratio. Portal2 is now 49.99euro but it's also 49.99USD! All these companies are a part of this.

The funny thing is that US that always talk about taxes and pay taxes everywhere on everything have CHEAPER PRICES! Countries that do not have to pay extra taxes for a game bought at steam are charged double. Fair..

You go to direct2drive store and you see most of the steam games 30-50% cheaper! There are so few games that are actually cheaper at steam that it hurts inside. Steam is the most popular in its area of selling digital game copies online and they charge double of what it cost for UK/US. Steam US/UK friends can buy us these games as a present 30-100% cheaper and it's supposed to be "okey"?

In Sweden it's just $69 :D Physical copy cost 36euro with some bonus codes I belive.

I hope this company gets sued and lose a few millions.. The millions they earned by tricking players into beliving that those prices are real and fair.

That's bull♥♥♥♥, every other site except for steam is selling worldwide for the same price. Please note, EVERY OTHER SITE EXCEPT FOR STEAM! Even Steam's competitor is having better prices and they are selling LESS GAMES.

chipset35
06-06-2011, 03:11 PM
You Aussies pay more because everyone is jealous because you live in such a cool country, where everyone is tan, good looking, and your beaches have great waves! ;p

In truth, is it the exchange rate that is costing you more?
More Aussie dollars for each U.S. dollar?

PetusGeekus
06-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Regional pricing = me placing an OzGameShop order

For what ever reason it happens, when I order from overseas, it means less money in the local economy. No tears for the greed of retailers or tax regulators. I've been milked enough by them for 20 years already.

nuff' said

PetusGeekus
06-06-2011, 07:49 PM
The minimum wage in Australia is $16.06 which is 222% more than than the minimum wage in the US ($7.25). Australians only have to pay 192% of what Americans do for this game so it seems like you are getting the better deal. I don't know about job availability or the cost of living in Australia but I doubt it's worse than it is the US.

Also, cost of living is higher in Australia (we don't get a 2 burger feed for $2.95) - including power, fuel and internet as an example, higher taxes (someone has to pay for universal healthcare), etc. Minimum wage angle is moot.