PDA

View Full Version : My little brother found a a baby duck

Lcpuche
05-31-2011, 03:26 PM
He told me it was alone chirping on the ground and he brought it to me..

It is alive, breathing but it doesn't stand.

Anyone with animal experience know what to do, I'm afraid it's sick or something so I've been grabbing it with gloves.

What should I do with it? I know how to put a small animal to sleep in a painless way but idk what to do with this one

UPDATE: It died on me :(. Gave it a proper burial..

Nova Prospekt
05-31-2011, 03:29 PM
first thing you should do is get an empty box, fill it with soft grass and/or hay, and gently place the duck in it.

Keep the lid open ofcourse.Then experiment by giving it a grain of rice or w/e, until it eats.Leave it on a place where it can't tumble out/fall.

eventually it'll fall to sleep.It's possible it's not standng, because it is exhausted.

Fox_McCloud
05-31-2011, 03:32 PM
Get off the forums you quack. :p

Now that's outa the way, either take it to a vet or put it in a box and give it some food.

marie pavie
05-31-2011, 03:32 PM
Lot's of stuff like this (http://liveducks.com/care.html) on the webs.

Parliamentarian
05-31-2011, 03:34 PM
experiment by giving it a grain of rice

Don't give birds rice!

xX_Renegade_Xx
05-31-2011, 03:34 PM
What should I do with it? I know how to put a small animal to sleep in a painless way but idk what to do with this one

Don't do that, it might be sick but could get better with proper care, contact your local animal rescue service, we use the RSPCA in the UK as I used them myself when I was walking to school one day and found a falcon which had been shot with a pellet, it was badly injured but survived because of the help from these people.

Odra
05-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Remember, if it refuses to eat it will die by the next day.

also: http://www.pacificwildlife.org/info/Online%20Docs/foundorphanedducklings.pdf

strawzombie
05-31-2011, 03:41 PM
Don't do that, it might be sick but could get better with proper care, contact your local animal rescue service, we use the RSPCA in the UK as I used them myself when I was walking to school one day and found a falcon which had been shot with a pellet, it was badly injured but survived because of the help from these people.

I agree, animal rescue is probably the best bet.

Even if the duck survives under your care, I think you are still stunting it's development because it isn't around other ducks and isn't learning how to survive on its own. I'm not sure if ducks realistically make good pets, but you should only care for the duck if you and your brother are planning to keep it as a pet FOREVER.

Not sure, but I think trying to release the duck back into the wild after living under your care for an extended period of time would just be cruel and it would likely starve to death.

Ducks may be different than regular birds though. Now that I think about it, ducks really don't "hunt" their food. And I don't know if anything hunts ducks as prey. So I dunno, ducks might have it relatively easy. Still, I think the safest bet is to at least ask a local animal rescue service about it.

Firestorm998
05-31-2011, 03:46 PM
Combine it with Golem.

Lcpuche
05-31-2011, 03:54 PM
While googling up an animal shelter it chirped and died on me :(

baww....

CoffehTime
05-31-2011, 03:55 PM
While googling up an animal shelter it chirped and died on me :(

baww....

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :(:(:(:(:(:(

Fox_McCloud
05-31-2011, 03:58 PM
*In a loud, booming voice*

Do you smell what Lcpuche is cooking?

damaged
05-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Noooo. :(

Benji90
05-31-2011, 04:01 PM
*In a loud, booming voice*

Do you smell what Lcpuche is cooking?

Need some pancakes on the go :p

Flyingcow1103
05-31-2011, 04:04 PM
All this work to save a duck?

EDIT: no offense, I'm just suprised.

Michaeloohra
05-31-2011, 04:07 PM
Wash it EVERY day. Ducks are cool pets but the stinkiest animals to live. At least that are considered pets. I had to wash mine every other day, If I missed one day it would start to stink more than you could imagine. I'm not exaggerating at all, IT'S TERRIBLE. If you don't have patience a duck is not for you.

Lcpuche
05-31-2011, 04:08 PM
All this work to save a duck?

EDIT: no offense, I'm just surprised.

Yeah, surprised me too... I usually don't give a crap about animals... I just buried it in my yard. Made use of my online minister certification.

Oh well... wouldn't have made the drive to the shelter, they would have probably charged me too, and I'm flat broke.

Too bad I couldn't do anything.

bluz74
05-31-2011, 04:08 PM
Call your local animal shelter of zoo and ask for advice. And fill your bathtub up and let that thing swim.

Also, you can get a goose like Chandler and Joey on Friends.

damaged
05-31-2011, 04:09 PM
Call your local animal shelter of zoo and ask for advice. And fill your bathtub up and let that thing swim.

Also, you can get a goose like Chandler and Joey on Friends.

I don't think it's going to do much swimming...maybe float around a bit...but no swimming there.

Snorkel
05-31-2011, 04:09 PM
Find out if there's a bird rescue place in your area that could give you advice.

If it won't eat though, it's screwed.

Edit: aw it's dead. Poor ducky :(

bluz74
05-31-2011, 04:10 PM
I don't think it's going to do much swimming...maybe float around a bit...but no swimming there.

Then it's a witch! Witch! Witch!

damaged
05-31-2011, 04:11 PM

I think bluz put his finger on the real issue here!

Michaeloohra
Also, many animals abandon the lame(mentally challenged) children behind, it's possible this was one of them...

ultio
When I was about 6 years old, I found a baby bird in my garden. I called one of my neighborhood friends over and I asked him what to do. He put it into my sandbox and killed it with a shovel, the guts went all over the place. After that he took it and threw it out on the street.

That was the day I turned vegan, traumatized for life :(.

damaged
05-31-2011, 04:12 PM
When I was about 6 years old, I found a baby bird in my garden. I called one of my neighborhood friends over and I asked him what to do. He put it into my sandbox and killed it with a shovel, the guts went all over the place. After that he took it and threw it out on the street.

Jeezus, whatever you do, don't call him over when your family comes to visit. :eek:

Michaeloohra
05-31-2011, 04:13 PM

I'm sorry to hear that... I don't know what I would do without meat!

But in all seriousness, sorry about your friends... I hear there are groups for people like that...

Lcpuche
05-31-2011, 04:13 PM

Don't call him up when your relatives are sick. He'll probably use that shovel again...

That's just kinda sick... at least it was quick and painless

Snorkel
05-31-2011, 04:17 PM
I've got a friend who euthanises her sick pets by putting them in the freezer. Really tempting to call animal welfare on her...why is the impulse to not nark on people so strong?

Shovel is probably one of the kinder methods out there.

sdaniels7114
05-31-2011, 04:18 PM
Too bad, I understand duck eggs make great omlettes. I've owned lots of pets, but I've never had one that fed me.

damaged
05-31-2011, 04:20 PM
I've got a friend who euthanises her sick pets by putting them in the freezer. Really tempting to call animal welfare on her...why is the impulse to not nark on people so strong?

Maybe she's an up and coming vivisectionist?

Snorkel
05-31-2011, 04:22 PM
No, just a bad pet owner. :mad:

ultio
05-31-2011, 04:23 PM
Well, like I said, I was about 6 years old back then, I haven't really talked to him in years and I am far away from calling him a friend nowadays. It's just that this duck story kind of reminded me of my that.

You don't do that in a kid's sandbox and you don't just throw its dead disemboweled body out on the street, that's just sick :rolleyes:.

Well, at least the duck in this story kind of died on its own. I don't know what's better or worse, but I guess you'll get over it :p.

damaged
05-31-2011, 04:23 PM
No, just a bad pet owner. :mad:

That being the case, I'd have no compunction reporting her. She certainly doesn't have any.

Lcpuche
05-31-2011, 04:26 PM

Best way is to use nail polish remover, a closed container, and cotton.

It's slow but, it's as painless as it can get.

Freezing is terrible..

IcarusNine
05-31-2011, 04:27 PM

That would be typical. For seafood.

Snorkel
05-31-2011, 04:30 PM
You don't do that in a kid's sandbox and you don't just throw its dead disemboweled body out on the street, that's just sick :rolleyes:.

Indeed. But still kinder on the bird.

MADDOGGE
05-31-2011, 04:36 PM

That was the day I turned vegan, traumatized for life :(.Thats how serial killers start out torturing and killing animals. Yes, they start young. If you are a really good friend, he may let you or one of your family members be his first human victim.;)

Masterclown
05-31-2011, 04:38 PM
Nice of you to try helping it at least...

Numnums
05-31-2011, 04:44 PM
Did anyone else just wake up and read the title wrong???

As probably stated before is call wildlife and game dept for your state/area.

damaged
05-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Did anyone else just wake up and read the title wrong???

As probably stated before is call wildlife and game dept for your state/area.

I don't think they'd arrive on time. See post #10 (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22688282&postcount=10).

gia257
05-31-2011, 05:05 PM
I found a little bird mauled by a cat, it was missing its entire tail and part of one of the wings, it was all bloody. The bird was still willing to eat and fine despite the injuries, I doubt it would have survived (infection or whatever) but I screwed it up in advance by using some disinfectant/coagulator designed for humans (don't recall its name, its very red). The bird was stiff like a brick in a minute, that's why vets are needed, something for you might be poison to another species.

damaged
05-31-2011, 05:09 PM
I found a little bird mauled by a cat, it was missing its entire tail and part of one of the wings, it was all bloody. The bird was still willing to eat and fine despite the injuries, I doubt it would have survived (infection or whatever) but I screwed it up in advance by using some disinfectant/coagulator designed for humans (don't recall its name, its very red). The bird was stiff like a brick in a minute, that's why vets are needed, something for you might be poison to another species.

Was it iodine?

Comrade Philip
05-31-2011, 05:24 PM
RIP duckling :'(

Beckman67
05-31-2011, 05:25 PM
No good deed goes unpunished. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43228810/ns/us_news-life/?GT1=43001)

damaged
05-31-2011, 05:27 PM
No good deed goes unpunished. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43228810/ns/us_news-life/?GT1=43001)

A solitary killer, the limousine stalks its prey. The taxi cabs will have to wait their turn.

Masterclown
06-02-2011, 04:32 AM

Witch duck are you talking about?

Legacy-ZA
06-02-2011, 05:51 AM
Witch duck are you talking about?

I see witcha did there. :D

Masterclown
06-02-2011, 05:53 AM
I see witcha did there. :D

Your post quacked me up.

Muffins21
06-02-2011, 05:56 AM
Awww its dead? Well i know what you're having for dinner tonight!

Jeydog
06-02-2011, 06:50 AM
And he waddled away.. waddle waddle waddle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q)