PDA

View Full Version : [FIXED] Connection problems in Steam version of Altitude

TornAvulsion
05-31-2011, 06:45 PM
EDIT: Turns out it was completely my fault. User Error strikes again. Don't make my mistake, remember to read the instruction manual when you update your anti-virus software.

After further investigation I have come to the conclusion that I am an idiot. Last week my normal free anti-virus software gave me a 30 day trial of their full product, which apparently comes with its own firewall. After properly configuring the firewall, the game works perfectly and I feel stupid. Sorry about that.

I purchased Altitude as a part of a pack on steam a while back and finally decided to take it for a spin, but I cannot get the online component to work. I played in offline mode until the game announced that my demo had expired and I needed to buy the full version, which I already own.

I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit.
Checking for updates at startup causes the following window to pop-up: "Connection Problem: (Configure Connection) / (Play Offline) / (Try Again) / (Options) / (Exit)"
Trying to log in from Offline mode results in "Login Error: Unable to connect to login server. Please try again in 5 minutes (OK)"
I've read this thread: http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274 as well as everything else on the first few pages of the tech support forum.
I have added a Windows firewall exception.
I have forwarded TCP and UDP on the ports 27272, 27276, 31373, and 31383 on my router.
I have specified port 31373 in VaporClientConfig.xml
I have turned upnp off and on.
I have tried running the game in and out of windows xp compatibility mode.
I've tried running the game as an administrator.
I have tried reinstalling the Steam version.
None of the above worked.

Finally, I downloaded the client from http://altitudegame.com/ and that version connects to the server and updates flawlessly, and even lets me go online as a guest without fiddling with any settings. The problem seems to be with the Steam client, so I disabled the Steam In-Game Overlay, but that didn't fix it.

lamster
05-31-2011, 09:21 PM
Weird. There shouldn't be any difference in network functionality between the Steam and standalone versions (perhaps some security software gone awry?). We will be pushing an update to the Steam version soon, but it really shouldn't make a difference here. Please check your PM for a workaround.

TornAvulsion
05-31-2011, 11:29 PM
After further investigation I have come to the conclusion that I am an idiot. Last week my normal free anti-virus software gave me a 30 day trial of their full product, which apparently comes with its own firewall. After properly configuring the firewall, the game works perfectly and I feel stupid. Sorry about that.