PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't work with Nvidia 3DVision?

gjork
06-02-2011, 10:00 AM
When I read the game description before purchase it said it works with anaglyph glasses so I assumed it would work with Nvidia 3DVision too but I just read this:

If you have any sort of 3D glasses driver installed like the iZ3D driver, add Universe Sandbox to the exceptions list in its control panel. This incompatibility will be fixed in the future, but I have no timetable for it at the moment.

I have Universe Sandbox installed on a PC with no 3D capability right now but was later going to install it to a PC with 3D Vision. I guess I won't bother now.

Dan Dixon
06-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Universe Sandbox has 3D capabilities built in for 3D televisions and anaglyphic 3D glasses (red-cyan).

Some people have reported issues with it and Nvidia 3DVision and I haven't had time to determine what the cause of these problems are (but I will soon).

Please give me some time to address this issue.

gjork
06-06-2011, 04:56 AM
OK, thanks.

Dan Dixon
06-22-2011, 11:16 PM
I've got Universe Sandbox working with Nvidia 3DVision.

It's now one of five different 3D modes you can choose in Universe Sandbox. I'll be releasing this fix in a new update within a few days.

arfWignack
07-14-2012, 12:00 AM
I've got Universe Sandbox working with Nvidia 3DVision.

It's now one of five different 3D modes you can choose in Universe Sandbox. I'll be releasing this fix in a new update within a few days.

Awesome! I was looking for just this info.

This pushes me over my tipping point to go ahead and get the Indie Bundle II. Two games that are 3D Vision ready.

Thanks.

Dan Dixon
07-14-2012, 06:44 PM
There's still a problem with the background not displaying properly when you're using the Nvidia mode (the depth looks like it's closer than everything lese, not behind it).

You should turn the background off, or even set it to a viability of 1 or 2 when using Nvidia mode.

arfWignack
07-15-2012, 02:18 AM
There's still a problem with the background not displaying properly when you're using the Nvidia mode (the depth looks like it's closer than everything lese, not behind it).

You should turn the background off, or even set it to a viability of 1 or 2 when using Nvidia mode.

OK, I'll give that a try. I'll also try setting the depth to zero, and dialing up the convergence, which pulls the image out of the screen instead. That can often work for games that have this problem.

Dan Dixon
07-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Interesting. Are there other games with that problem? I have no idea how to fix the problem outside of turning off the background.

As the drivers take care of splitting the scene into a left and right view, I'm not sure what to do in order to make the background be shown at the correct depth.

arfWignack
07-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Well, I tried this out (7-15-12), and I have to rate it even now as Not Recommended for 3D Vision.

The background is in front of the solar system, so Dan noted you should turn it off. This is marginally acceptable, because the background is extremely cool, and really adds to the experience.

It also has problems drawing the names of the planets and moons- they are always drawn at screen depth, which is wrong. They should be drawn in the full 3D space along with everything else.

It also does not seem to respect the NVidia depth slider, nor convergence. Changing the depth from zero to max did not noticeably affect the 3D effect.

Changing the convergence does not work, the game is fighting hard to do whatever it wants to do.

This is a game where there is actually too much support for 3D. If everything is simply drawn in a 3D space, the NVidia driver will work out the stereoscopic.

Now, curiously, the anaglyph version of 3D works pretty well. Background is right, titles follow the planets. Anaglyph is a non-starter compared to 3D Vision, but it's worth taking a look.

arfWignack
07-15-2012, 11:41 PM
Interesting. Are there other games with that problem? I have no idea how to fix the problem outside of turning off the background.

As the drivers take care of splitting the scene into a left and right view, I'm not sure what to do in order to make the background be shown at the correct depth.

Thanks for the response.

I'm not an expert because I have not programmed against the NVidia API, but I am a programmer.

My understanding is that this happens because the image is being drawn at the wrong z value. Drawn at zero, the screen depth, instead of at infinity, all the way into the wall/monitor.

It is also my understanding from having read a lot about the NVidia drivers, that if everything is drawn from back to front along the z axis, that you pretty much do not need to add any explicit 3D Vision support, the stereoscopic will work correctly if everything is drawn correctly relative to each other.

For example, I can play 10 year old games in true stereoscopic using the 3D Vision setup. (Far Cry, e.g.) Those games were written before 3D Vision existed, but they still work correctly because they draw the 3D as an actual volume, with no tricks.

More recent games often try to be too tricky, and do assorted post processing gimmicks to improve performance on slow machines, like drawing halos at screen depth, instead of around the actual 3d object. This sort of problem can be mitigated by changing the convergence, so that those zero depth items wind up at screen depth. Sub-optimal, but usually acceptable.

Changing convergence really only changes where the zero point is. Normal NVidia 3D wants everything to be behind the screen in positive numeric space. Moving the convergence pulls some of the image out of the screen instead by moving the zero point out of screen toward the user.

You can also see how it will look in NVidia 3D by using their anaglyph mode. Any NVidia driver supports anaglyph via the "Discover" version.

(by the way, here is a document I'd read awhile back regarding the 'automatic' mode for 3D Vision. You should be able to simply draw the scene and have it work correctly in 3D Vision, without needing to create a UI to enable it.)
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/assets/gamedev/files/sdk/11/3DV%20-%20BestPracticesGuide.pdf