PDA

View Full Version : Boomer question

Polycount
06-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Getting the boom on more people causes more horde to spawn, right? Because lately, I've noticed that there isn't a huge difference between booming one person and booming four... I know it's somewhat random, but does the amount of people boomed make a difference?

JediMastr80
06-03-2011, 10:16 PM
I think it's somewhat random.

I've boomed 1 person, and got a Major Hoard.
I boomed 4 people, got a Small Hoard.

The Director of the game i think likes screwing the boomer sometimes when sometimes even when boomed, i don't see ANY Hoards.

The Vomit also needs to be fixed.
It's unknown why you can be far away (like 2 - 4 Car Lengths) and still get boomed,
but be right next to him and not get boomed, even when he explodes right next to you.

BROfest
06-04-2011, 12:05 AM
Booming more than one has no effect on horde size. However, you basically never want to boom only one because that horde is likely to do zero damage against a good team. Even booming two is miles ahead of booming one because you only have to land a 2 cap instead of a 3 cap to do damage.

john_volkov
06-04-2011, 12:12 AM
the only reason you boom all 4 person is to blind them, the hord is just more of stoping them a bit but if you get all 4 boomed and a charger with one surviver out the rest of the team will take a long time to recover from blin thus incrising the damage delth to 1 survivor.

Rage <3
06-04-2011, 02:06 AM
the only reason you boom all 4 person is to blind them, the hord is just more of stoping them a bit but if you get all 4 boomed and a charger with one surviver out the rest of the team will take a long time to recover from blin thus incrising the damage delth to 1 survivor.
Hordes arent just for "stopping" the survivors. If you want to deal a lot of damage, or kill someone you need a horde, because most SI need a long time to kill someone, if there arent any commons.

ProdigySim
06-04-2011, 02:40 AM
IIRC the algorithm goes something like this:

When the first survivor gets boomed, summon a "mob." The mob size is [randomly] selected between 10 and 30 common infected. If there are wandering CI within z_notice_it_range units (def: 1500), they will be used as part of the mob, reducing the number of new CI that are spawned.

After the first survivor, I'm a little fuzzy on the details. From looking at disassembly, it runs through the same algorithm--including disregarding CI which are within the notice range. From hooking the mob spawning functions and reading their output, I've never seen an additional survivor call in more than 5 new CI. The average is more like 3.

This means a boom on 4 players could land you as little as 19 CI, and some of those may already be spawned. A boom on a single player could just as easily land you 30 CI. So yes, it varies greatly.

Keep in mind as well that only 30 CI can be spawned up at once. The game does queue CI spawns, though, so if there are enough CI spawned up, you could end up having new CI trickle in as the survivors kill off the existing ones.

Kool Mode D
06-05-2011, 03:45 PM
IIRC the algorithm goes something like this:

When the first survivor gets boomed, summon a "mob." The mob size is [randomly] selected between 10 and 30 common infected. If there are wandering CI within z_notice_it_range units (def: 1500), they will be used as part of the mob, reducing the number of new CI that are spawned.

After the first survivor, I'm a little fuzzy on the details. From looking at disassembly, it runs through the same algorithm--including disregarding CI which are within the notice range. From hooking the mob spawning functions and reading their output, I've never seen an additional survivor call in more than 5 new CI. The average is more like 3.

This means a boom on 4 players could land you as little as 19 CI, and some of those may already be spawned. A boom on a single player could just as easily land you 30 CI. So yes, it varies greatly.

Keep in mind as well that only 30 CI can be spawned up at once. The game does queue CI spawns, though, so if there are enough CI spawned up, you could end up having new CI trickle in as the survivors kill off the existing ones.

Good to know.

Dosidataskeli
06-05-2011, 03:59 PM
I think it's somewhat random.

I've boomed 1 person, and got a Major Hoard.
I boomed 4 people, got a Small Hoard.

The Director of the game i think likes screwing the boomer sometimes when sometimes even when boomed, i don't see ANY Hoards.

The Vomit also needs to be fixed.
It's unknown why you can be far away (like 2 - 4 Car Lengths) and still get boomed,
but be right next to him and not get boomed, even when he explodes right next to you.

Actually the maximum range for a vomit is about 40 feet. It starts out at max range then decreases while the boomer is vomiting. A good player can boom from hilarious distances where if you are actually looking at the vomit it goes nowhere near that far.

sahd0w
06-05-2011, 05:21 PM
I have always wondered about this. Sometimes I get so frustrated because I don't get a horde even after I boom a bunch of survivors.. and I can't stand being boomer usually. Thanks for clearing this up!

offishulwoland
06-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Actually the maximum range for a vomit is about 40 feet. It starts out at max range then decreases while the boomer is vomiting. A good player can boom from hilarious distances where if you are actually looking at the vomit it goes nowhere near that far.

Apparently the vomit projectiles are lag compensated, so if you are moving away from a high lerp/ping boomer player while they vomit they might appear to hit you from a great distance or even after you have ducked around a corner. From their perspective it will seem normal.

The particles also have a certain density so if the boomer player is turning fast enough while puking they can puke 'through' you yet still miss. The explosion radius is also pretty small, about the length of the boomer's stumble plus a small step backwards. You have to be stuck with him in an enclosed space, trapped by hoard, or have trigger-happy teammates to get hit by it.

Phaseshifter
06-05-2011, 06:39 PM
It's random. It also depends on where you are and how close/far the swarm can spawn.

But has anyone noticed that the boomer's range seems farther now?

wootin
06-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Apparently the vomit projectiles are lag compensated, so if you are moving away from a high lerp/ping boomer player while they vomit they might appear to hit you from a great distance or even after you have ducked around a corner. From their perspective it will seem normal.

The particles also have a certain density so if the boomer player is turning fast enough while puking they can puke 'through' you yet still miss. The explosion radius is also pretty small, about the length of the boomer's stumble plus a small step backwards. You have to be stuck with him in an enclosed space, trapped by hoard, or have trigger-happy teammates to get hit by it.

I can confirm the particle thing, I boomed from above two survivors running straight away from me, hitting ahead of them and lowering the aim. I SAW the spray hit them, but they ran through the bile and did not get boomed at all.

Dosidataskeli
06-05-2011, 10:12 PM

As to the first point, I dont know to be honest, all I know is you can hit stationary characters out to beyond 30 feet, closer to 40.

As for the second, are you sure about that? Cause I have both seen people slew thier aim incredibly quickly and hit (the worst example was spectating someone who span about 500 degrees and got a triple puke), and also been hit by people doing this. When you boom through people in my experience it is lag mostly.

offishulwoland
06-05-2011, 11:27 PM
As to the first point, I dont know to be honest, all I know is you can hit stationary characters out to beyond 30 feet, closer to 40.

As for the second, are you sure about that? Cause I have both seen people slew thier aim incredibly quickly and hit (the worst example was spectating someone who span about 500 degrees and got a triple puke), and also been hit by people doing this. When you boom through people in my experience it is lag mostly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDI4kUY3fYs

Dr.Boo.j2
06-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Getting the boom on more people causes more horde to spawn, right? Because lately, I've noticed that there isn't a huge difference between booming one person and booming four... I know it's somewhat random, but does the amount of people boomed make a difference?
I dont think it makes the summoned mob bigger. However, 4 boomed survivors will basically make them all blind and spread the zombies on all 4 of them making it harder to cover each other.

If one gets boomed, all he has to do is go against a wall and let his teammates kill all zombies.

Dosidataskeli
06-06-2011, 07:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDI4kUY3fYs

Hey thanks, never done boomer debug before. Now I know how it works better, how can people spin stupid amounts and still get booms?

As a side note, 4 boomers make pretty patterns.