PDA

View Full Version : Does Steam Guard suck for everyone else?

p5ychokilla
06-04-2011, 07:56 PM
I've had to provide a code 5 days in a row now just to log into Steam on my laptop, I can sign in no problem on my main PC but the laptop just keep asking for a code and Steam just keeps e-mailing me it, yes I have deleted my clientregistry.blob also which made no difference.

Does anyone else have any horror stories with this "security"?

SiberianPenguin
06-04-2011, 07:57 PM
every time i get dc'ed i have to put in a new code. pain in the balls.

Corruption876
06-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Steam > Settings > Account > Manage Steam Guard Account Security > Disable Steam Guard

If it bothers you so much. I personally haven't had any issues yet.

Dreadjaws
06-04-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm on the fence, I had thought the thing would detect a different computer, but apparently, "different browser" and "different computer" are the same thing.

But so far, not as many problems as OP had.

Goteki-45
06-04-2011, 08:22 PM
I've only had to enter a code once, when I first purchased via Firefox after Steam Guard was implemented. It's just (bad) luck of the draw, I guess.

turistas
06-04-2011, 08:23 PM
hmm im not having this problem.. but i guess i only use steam on one computer :p .. they should let u sign up more then one computer.. like 3 ?

Rebel44
06-04-2011, 08:46 PM
I've had to provide a code 5 days in a row now just to log into Steam on my laptop, I can sign in no problem on my main PC but the laptop just keep asking for a code and Steam just keeps e-mailing me it, yes I have deleted my clientregistry.blob also which made no difference.

Does anyone else have any horror stories with this "security"?

Most likely some write permission is screwed up somewhere in you notebook.

MADDOGGE
06-04-2011, 09:18 PM
No, Steam Guard is fine and apparently doing what it was designed to do, protect accounts from being hacked by adding an additional level of security. There is almost a total lack of hacked account threads compared to the time before it's implementation. It's doing something right.

My only issue is I have to reauthorize every single time I switch between partitions.:confused::confused:

Compufreak
06-04-2011, 09:32 PM
I had the same problem while signing into the store/community, but it suddenly didn't occure any more. It might have been after deleting the "Steam\appcache\httpcache"-folder. You could try this ;) Sometimes deleting the "Steam\config\htmlcache" or "Steam\config\overlayhtmlcache" solves some problems, too...

JudgementBullet
06-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Steam Guard sucks because my ISP uses dynamic IP

Bon3zz1001
06-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Steam Guard sucks because my ISP uses dynamic IPPretty much this. Every time my IP switches I have to keep re-entering my access key.

xX_Renegade_Xx
06-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Works fine here, the only problem I have is when Steam auto-logs me out and I try and relog back in and it sees the new log-in as a new PC entirely, now I just restart Steam to stop that happening.

SilverMink
06-05-2011, 12:15 AM
Steam Guard sucks because my ISP uses dynamic IP
I'm pretty sure Steam Guard doesn't us IP's.

Steam Guard does use cookies for the browser security though, so deleting your cookies will force you to re-authorize.

Metro
06-05-2011, 02:06 AM
I turned mine off. The only thing Steamguard protects you from is your own stupidity of entering your account name and password into a phishing website. Considering the only place I enter said details are within the Steam client itself, I'm fairly sure I don't need such protection.

epsylon_Z1
06-05-2011, 02:15 AM
I only had problem with it when i used Raptr . ( i think the same problem occurs with Xfire )