PDA

View Full Version : Applying Thermal Compound

wookz
06-05-2011, 10:09 AM
I just got the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and now I have come to the part where I know very little. I know I have to apply thermal paste but I am not sure as to what method to use.

Do I put some on the heat sink and let it spread itself out or do I spread it out with my finger in a plastic bag or a credit card?

Another question I have is do I apply the thermal paste to both the CPU and the heat sink or just one?

Please be as detailed as possible.

themires
06-05-2011, 10:14 AM
I have seen many ways to do it.. The pea size method small drop in the middle of the CPU and put the sync on.

Line method put small line across the CPU then put sync on.

Spread even layer with card method.

In the end it is up to you how to do it..

My suggestion is..A little goes a long way

dosbox
06-05-2011, 10:18 AM
K.I.S.S. - do not spread a thick layer on both the CPU and heatsink.

A small (as in pea-sized) amount in the centre of the CPU has worked for me. The pressure from the heatsink will spread it out.

SiberianPenguin
06-05-2011, 10:38 AM
i put a line stretching from one end of the cpu to to other with mine (not to the edge, obviously)

cplcarlman
06-05-2011, 10:57 AM
I would not use the pea sized method on the Hyper 212 because it is the "direct heat pipe contact" type of HSF. I would spread a small amount on the HSF only using either a plastic bag and finger or the credit card method. I would caution against using too much as well. You want just enough so that every part of the cpu has thermal paste on it.

rotNdude
06-05-2011, 11:04 AM
I like the plastic bag method of first rubbing the paste into the heatsink and IHS of the CPU. Use a very very small amount because you are just trying to fill the microscopic voids in the metal. Next, place a very small dot or line of paste on the CPU's IHS. By doing this, you are assuring that you have paste in the larger voids created by a concave/convex surface on either.

wookz
06-05-2011, 11:10 AM
How much should I place on the heatsink to rub in so I wont put too much on? And what is the IHS? Is that just the top of the CPU?

So tell me if I have this correct.

Rub in a small amount of thermal paste on the heatsink to fill gaps and then put a line of thermal paste on CPU and allow the pressure to spread it.

rotNdude
06-05-2011, 11:28 AM
When you rub it into the heatsinks you don't want very much paste at all. It should be a paper thin amount. Put a little bit on your finger and rub it around.

Yes, the IHS is the Integrated HeatSink that is the top of the CPU.

A line or a dot will work. With the advent of dual and quad core CPUs, many manufacturers of thermal compound advice putting a line on due to the placement of the CPUs on the die.

masta121
06-05-2011, 11:36 AM
I like the plastic bag method of first rubbing the paste into the heatsink and IHS of the CPU. Use a very very small amount because you are just trying to fill the microscopic voids in the metal. Next, place a very small dot or line of paste on the CPU's IHS. By doing this, you are assuring that you have paste in the larger voids created by a concave/convex surface on either.

This method doesn't work with a lot of pastes, the sticky ones being impossible to apply like that.

As I said in the last thread, the best method for a Direct Heatpipe contact cooler is a thin line perpendicular to the heatpipes, perfectly centered.

wookz
06-05-2011, 11:40 AM
This method doesn't work with a lot of pastes, the sticky ones being impossible to apply like that.

As I said in the last thread, the best method for a Direct Heatpipe contact cooler is a thin line perpendicular to the heatpipes, perfectly centered.

If I use this method would I be spreading it myself or letting the pressure spread it.

dosbox
06-05-2011, 11:40 AM
I would not use the pea sized method on the Hyper 212 because it is the "direct heat pipe contact" type of HSF. I would spread a small amount on the HSF only using either a plastic bag and finger or the credit card method. I would caution against using too much as well. You want just enough so that every part of the cpu has thermal paste on it.

As a former user of that heatsink, I can tell you that the "dot in the middle" technique works quite well.

However, if it makes the OP feel better, then feel free to spread it around a little with a plastic bag.

rotNdude
06-05-2011, 12:01 PM

I don't know what kind of paste comes with that heatsink.

If I use this method would I be spreading it myself or letting the pressure spread it.

If you put a dot or line, you are relying on the heatsink pressure to spread it.

wookz
06-05-2011, 12:12 PM
I ordered some ARTIC COOLING MX-2 if that helps.

rotNdude
06-05-2011, 12:33 PM
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/thermal-compound/82/arctic-mx-2-4g-8g-30g-und-65g.html

They say not to spread the paste.

GremaR
06-05-2011, 01:10 PM
This is a good article for that type of heatsink cooler

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5

YahooElite
06-05-2011, 01:34 PM
I Spread a little over the CPU using a card, old credit card so on and cover the entire CPU with it, just enough that the CPU is covered, then i add a few dabs onto the Heatsink so when its inplace it spreads a little more of it onto the CPU.

Never had any problems doing it this way.

The point is to make sure your CPU is covered(thermally protected) Pea sized amounts may not cover the entire CPU if not spread around, which when the HSF is in place it may not equally do.

wookz
06-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Okay thanks everyone I know what I am doing now. I know not to spread it and when the stuff arrives I will just read over the manual again.