PDA

View Full Version : RF:A - UK Release?

Delodien
06-07-2011, 04:17 AM
So I went to buy Armageddon a couple of days ago, got the same thing that I think everyone in the UK is getting (and I am still getting right this second)

An error was encountered while processing your request:

This item is currently unavailable in your region

Is what I get on the store page. So I looked around, eventually just though "♥♥♥♥ it" and went over to GamersGate to pre-order it and pre-load it. I do that perfectly fine (as I would expect) wait till today (7th) to get my activation key and go ahead and activate it on steam.

However despite it actually saying it is released on GamersGate, me getting my key and everything like that. Steam still feels that they have the right to tell me the game is not released yet!

Yes, thank you steam, the game is in my library quietly sitting there. I can pre-load it? That's great...but why the hell do I need to when I have already downloaded all the install files from GamersGate? And why can I still not see a proper release date for the actual game? And why can't I play it when the retailer I bought it from says I can.

I have all the files ready and waiting to be installed, why is the same bug there, the same one that has been there for quite a long time (the one that says the game is unavailable in the UK) I seriously do NOT understand the variation in release dates. Steam as you are the world's largest digital distributor, why can't you sort out simple problems like these? And why pull a dickish move like restricting me use of a game that as far as I was aware, released today (as my retailer said)...

zarathustra2k1
06-07-2011, 06:50 AM
Metro (eventually), Brink (eventually), Homefront(never) & now RF:A(never) with non-UK Steam releases. Another game I won't be buying (even though I've bought every previous episode of RF). THQ are reaming UK Steam gamers by forcing them to buy from the very RL retailers (GAME, etc.) who wanted to give PC games the shaft after their hissy fit due to not being able to make money on pre-owned PC games.

If I can't buy a Steamworks title on Steam because THQ has under-the-table deals made with RL retailers that preclude Steam from selling their games, then balls to them. Not to mention missing out on the Steam-only extras...

Scr3w THQ & their retail-only policies. Especially for bloody Steamworks titles.

EDIT
This idiocy actually works out to the good in the end, though. I spent my Brink beer-vouchers on Portal 2 & my HF/RF:A ones are going towards BF3. All evidence points to these being far superior choices. ;)

Delodien
06-07-2011, 07:10 AM
What is even more annoying is (as far as I know as it's essentially the same) if I went down the street and got a copy of RF:A I would still need to wait for Steam to take their merry time on deciding when I can play a game I have already paid full price for...I am not blaming the retailers (GamersGate included) but I am blaming Steam, because their business plan is frankly idiotic. We live in a world where we can talk to someone on the other side of the world instantly, things like that. Yet developers (or their retailers etc.) still think it is a good idea to differentiate between Countries on release dates? Its dumb..

Tempest_Wales
06-08-2011, 09:54 AM
but I am blaming Steam, because their business plan is frankly idiotic ... Yet developers (or their retailers etc.) still think it is a good idea to differentiate between Countries on release dates? Its dumb..

I'd like to point out your disconnect here. Steam are the digital distributors and have no problems selling the game to any geographical region. It is EXCLUSIVELY the publishers who allow or prevent the games sale in which virtual or real store, geographical region and what prices they should charge.

So stop blaming Steam for the rather ♥♥♥♥ty treatment we get from publishers like THQ, who should go burn in a house fire!

Edit: Oh and THQ, no Sale from me for screwing over Steam users... again... for the 4th? time!

Daulphinossmaf
06-08-2011, 10:44 AM
RF:A doesn't actually release in the UK until Friday, anyway.

Daulphinossmaf
06-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Oh, for god's sake. Now it's being advertised on the front page again, with a free copy of RF:G when you pre-purchase. Which we obviously can't do.

pbrain69
06-08-2011, 02:49 PM
what we should do is boycott Game stores and refuse to buy those games until on Download.
As long as people go into Game and buy these titles, it's proving THQ are right. We need to cripple the sales in these shops (they don't give a monkey's about PC gamers anyway) and force the games back onto the download format.
My attitude now is if i can't get it on Steam...i don't buy it.

Chizu
06-09-2011, 12:56 AM
Its pretty ♥♥♥♥ing stupid when they do this.
And I like how they always add insult to injury by then offering things like TF2 items for pre-ordering the game on steam, like homefront did and like RF:A has.
Whilst not really a big deal, its still kinda feels like a final "♥♥♥♥ you"

AlexFo
06-09-2011, 03:07 AM
I cant wait till Friday!
I have bought here (http://cd-pay.com) and I am playing already.

Madrid69
06-09-2011, 03:16 AM
I cant wait till Friday!

AlexFo, thanks for the tip, I also bought

BadRobot
06-09-2011, 03:42 AM
I cant wait till Friday!

Thx AlexFo, nice tip

pbrain69
06-09-2011, 09:18 AM
I cant wait till Friday!

does their other keys work on Steam...such as Homefront?

PS: have a rep point on me ! :)