PDA

View Full Version : What is the challenge? Classic mode seemts to lack depth/strategy.

passthemayo
06-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Hi,

I recently purchased Bejeweled 3, and while I find it entertaining, it doesn't seem to offer any sort of challenge or depth (at least in "classic" mode). For the record, I am far from being a skilled gamer. However, it seems to me that in classic mode, you could just go on forever if you felt so inclined -- worst part, if you can't find a set of matching jewels, THE GAME TELLS YOU WHERE TO GO (haven't found a way to turn this off). Where's the fun in that? Why is it telling me where to go?

When I first started fooling around in classic mode, I wasn't putting much thought into my matches, and my game finally terminated with a declaration of "No More Moves". But once I realized that the game could actually end (i.e., that you could actually lose), I thought "cool" and started putting a little more thought into my moves. Then, 2 hours and 1,500,000 points later (level 15?), I started to think the game could go on forever, and I lost interest. It seemed to lack depth, strategy, etc -- just a mindless process of getting colors to match. Don't see any? No problem...the game will show you where to go.

The Lightning mode is fun AND challenging. I'm curious to hear others thoughts on the game. Did I just not play classic mode long enough? Is there more than meets the eye?

Which mode do you prefer?

darkgriffin1986
06-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Classic mode is more of an endurance test then anything else, in my opinion. The only times I've lost have been because I didn't play smart enough. Once you get the basic strategy down, it doesn't seem to toss anything new at you. :(

My favorite modes are Lightning, and the secret Ice Colloums mode. Both those are pretty hardcore. The Gem Mining mode is also pretty fun. (You can tell I like the pressure of a timer, can't you? LOL!)

Quest was pretty good when it started getting going but ended too soon I think. I wanted a longer, full version of Balance from quest.

Poker is my demise. Unlock it for doing zen till level 5, it's a very worthwhile game in it's own right, and has that brillant risk of challenge, strategy, and luck.

In short, try out the other modes, they all build on elements of Classic in one way or another. I think you unlock them all just by playing the other games enough or getting enough score in them to "master" them on a casual level.

I hate to say it, but this time around Classic mode seems to be the weakest mode in the game. It does have pretty epic music and pretty graphics though.

passthemayo
06-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Classic mode is more of an endurance test then anything else, in my opinion. The only times I've lost have been because I didn't play smart enough. Once you get the basic strategy down, it doesn't seem to toss anything new at you. :(

Thanks for the reply. My sentiments exactly on classic mode -- it just seems like you lose when you get bored and start going with the first match you find. That certainly doesn't make for a very compelling game. I just wasn't sure if I was missing something. I have to admit though, you do get a certain amount of satisfaction when you match a lightning gem, hypergem, etc (or whatever they're called).

Thanks too for the opinions on the other modes. At this point the only other mode I've really tried is lightning mode, which, I agree, seems to offer more of a challenge than classic mode. I too like the time component.

And, yes, the music is great.

+1 rep

Twelvefield
07-18-2011, 01:58 AM
The first Bejewelled game was also the first PopCap game I ever had experience with. Many of the early PopCap games were just time-wasters, agreeable to one degree or another. I dimly recall some whack-a-mole and turret defense style games coming from this studio that make Bejewelled look like the flight manual for an SR-71 Blackbird in terms of complexity. It's only fairly recently that PopCap broke out with Plants Versus Zombies and the like, where the games have more structure to them. Even so, I don't believe PopCap wants to make deeply strategic games when they are doing a lot of good business with their time-killer games.

If it's challenge, depth, and strategy you are looking for in an indy game, I'd first suggest SpaceChem and then Atom Zombie Smasher and Flotilla (although in my view SpaceChem is by far the most challenging, depthful, and strategesiest of the bunch, if not the entire game crop of 2011).

passthemayo
07-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the reply and the recommendations. +1 rep

sweenish
11-18-2011, 12:54 AM
in classic, as long as you can keep a hypercube, you won't lose. But yeah, it's not really tough.

i would also like to point out that you unlock poker by playing classic, not zen. zen unlocks butterflies.

but i feel that both poker and butterflies require some actual strategy. poker especially. i love both of those modes, and have scored over a million in both.